Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 10:47 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/180/135 (19-Aug)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Since I wanted to try out my cast iron griddle as possible source for contamination causing strange zucchini flavor in another thread, I went ahead and made this since I had the ingredients and they're relatively inexpensive.

I do love the other recipe for psyllium tortillas, but I found them to be a bit spongy, but they're still keepers. I can see these more for wraps that you don't want to get soggy.

Verdict: Very good - I like the density but I think mine were too thick (my batch made 4 and they were more like 6-7 inches across). Time to invest in a tortilla maker.
  • Pliable and sturdy - was easy to fill with Avocado, smoked cheese and a bit of chipotle dressing for a nice wrap
  • A little bit of coconut flavor, not bad through
  • Next time I will put in some spices to give a little bit more flavor.

These will make a nice grab and go option - I'm hoping I can make them a bit larger next time and more consistently shaped - round would be nice

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: fitartist
Stats: 205/175/160
WOE: Grain free low carb
Start Date: July 2012
Sure. You could add a bit of oregano, parmesan cheese and/or garlic powder for a savoury wrap. I like the coconut flavour for a sweeter wrap (thinking apples and peanut butter)
fitartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
i have a tortilla press in my amazon cart so I can make these.. I did not like the other ones at all.. I hope these taste better
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

@ fitartist - that's a great idea. These would be good sandwich alternatives for my 5 yo. She's picky, but I'm trying to keep her moderate carb.

Peanut butter and apple sounds good, maybe even peanut butter and sliced banana - maybe a bit of cinnamon in the dough would be nice.

Wour first post had lots of wrap ideas. What is your opinion on making these ahead of time with filling inside and eating them later? I'm thinking something like a breakfast burrito that has a bit of moisture, but still not drippy. I could make it on a weekend morning and have them in the fridge for grab and go over the weekend.

@ Brenda - I've had both - the other one maybe half a dozen times (I like it best for modified pancakes for my daughter) and now this one for first time. These are more like an original tortilla - Probably not ideal for enchiladas or casseroles because of the moisture gobbliing coconut flour.

I think this recipe is worth the few extra carbs. Next time I want to make them bigger and then see how well they stay for something like a wrap prepared in the morning and not eaten until later in the day.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

I think ANY wrap that's made with moist contents doesn't keep very well.

When I'm on the road, I take fillings (say tuna and mayo with onion) in a separate container then put it together when I'm about to eat (add some lettuce too).
Peanut butter and banana sounds AWESOME! And peanut butter, btw, doesn't make the wrap soggy.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm definitely going to try these!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
These are great !!!!! Very simple to make .I did what Charski did and cut out 2 circles to fit my tortilla press.
Click to enlarge
tortillas 002.jpg Views: 41 Size: 36.7 KB">tortillas 002.jpg

Tortilla press
tortillas 003.jpg

I got 8 from your recipe.
tortillas 001.jpg

Last edited by rosethorns; 03-06-2014 at 01:10 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I made these and mine looked exactly like yours, Esther. They were pretty darn good. Flavor was nice and the texture was fairly elastic and held up to handling. I just did mine on a griddle though. A recipe to keep and do again.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I just saw on another website a recipe very similar to this, but the author flavored the tortillas with garlic powder, ground cumin, and ground chili. Also used boiling bone broth instead of water. For anyone who wants more flavor in these (or to cover the coconut flour taste), that might be an idea.

I just made a batch and added the spices, but all my broth was in the freezer, so didn't use that. Very good, but I won't use for cream cheese and jelly at breakfast!
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #40
Blabbermouth!!!

That sounds like a great idea - I'll have to give it a try!
Old 03-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I made these and mine looked exactly like yours, Esther. They were pretty darn good. Flavor was nice and the texture was fairly elastic and held up to handling. I just did mine on a griddle though. A recipe to keep and do again.

They are good Peggy!!!

These are really good. After I cooked them I put them in the toaster oven to get a chip and they came out great and cut them with a pizza cuter. I toasted enough to hold up to salsa. Really good with spices added.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Just to join in the chorus of praise - I made these with the reduced amount of oil*, as recommended by Charski, using a tortilla press to make 8 wraps - and I cooked these on a flat griddle.

1st attempt: they were well-received by the family with a few comments about the coconut taste (I hadn't flavoured them beyond adding salt).

2nd attempt: I added oat fibre as a substitute for half of the psyllium and a small amount of the coconut flour. The family thought these were like Staffordshire Oatcakes (which are soft, and prepared like Scotch Pancakes, they're not the hard biscuits as we'd call them or you might term crackers(?) altho' this sort of oatcake is sturdy, not crisp).

3rd attempt: oat fibre as above to adjust the texture of the dough to which I'd added some surplus sourdough rye starter. The family liked these a lot and thought they resembled blinis - so I might even try and bake them as blinis at some point. No comments at all about coconut taste.

Thank you for this recipe.

*I may well experiment with the oil. The first attempt was with Rice Bran Oil (neutral, good smoke point); 2nd was with Carotino oil; 3rd was with Rapeseed Oil (good smoke point).

August 2014 In March I had a DXA scan which revealed very low muscle mass (sarcopenia) so I'm still thinking about how to cope with that. I may miss questions that people ask me or personals. Apologies if I do, it's not intentional.

Last edited by SlowSure; 03-16-2014 at 03:00 AM..
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: April20
You guys are evil geniuses.

I made these today, adding some garlic powder to neutralize the coconut flour, and they were hands down the best LC wraps I've ever made. I rolled mine out and they came out okay, but I've already ordered a tortilla press. I was looking for a good excuse to buy one.

I got nine from my batch. I made chicken quesadillas. So perfect! This is also going to enable me to eat my carne asada tacos at our favorite Mexican restaurant! I am so excited.
April20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
I made these today and they are delicious. I made a half batch and got 4 tortilla about 4" - 5".

I can't wait to try the plethora of ideas going through my head. I have visions of both sweet and savory.

Thank you Fitartist.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:10 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: louanne
Stats: 221/204/130
WOE: Jorge Cruise The 100
Start Date: January 2014
I made a half batch, adding dashes of cumin and garlic powder to lessen the coconut flour taste. I used my tortilla press and made 5 (they were small). Very good and so pliable! Made a Mexican-style pizza, which was really tasty. Plan to make another batch using melted butter and adding some garam masala to eat alongside chicken curry. Thanks for a great recipe!
louanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:29 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

You're very welcome!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 263/249/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
Just made this...and its awesome! Now I'm itching to buy a tortilla press. Thanks for this recipe!
muncheechee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Your welcome!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:14 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nanoparty!
Question - how on do you guys measure your coconut flour? This is the biggest problem I have with it. Do you sift right into the measuring cup? Or scoop and sift into the bowl? Or skip the sifting??? So confused aaaahgghh I always worry I'm using too much because the carbs in coconut flour can really add up!
nanoparty! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
If you have access to the weight required rather than the volume, it would be better. I have used 3 different coconut flours, and they varied by weight by as much as 1/3 for the same volume. I try what they recommend, unsifted because I am lazy, and then note it for future reference for that recipe. I also often cut the coconut flour with oat fiber to lower the carb count.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: annnor
I made this recipe without any changes the first time. DH and I both were sooo happy to have a wrap to use! We both noticed a slight coconut taste, but it didn't stop our eating them!
2nd time making these I used 1/4 cup coconut flour (sifted to remove lumps), 1/4 cup oat fiber, 3 tablespoons canola oil, and 3/4cups hot water, and the remaining ingredients as originally written.
These came out great! We did not notice any coconut taste. More of the oat flavor.
Both times I used my tortilla press and my non stick skillet.
Thank you so much for this recipe! We have really missed a good tasting substitute for bread. So far we've use it for a wrap for brats and sloppy joes, a flat bread to go with a salad, and tonight we'll be putting cube steaks in them for a sandwich!
A very great tasting recipe! Thanks again!
Ann
annnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:58 AM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnor View Post
2nd time making these I used 1/4 cup coconut flour (sifted to remove lumps), 1/4 cup oat fiber, 3 tablespoons canola oil, and 3/4cups hot water, and the remaining ingredients as originally written.
I tried this version today and they came out great though I did find that the full cup of water was needed. I liked that they were less oily.

I left out the baking powder on my second batch and these came out much flatter and tortilla-like which will be perfect for our tacos tonight.

I bought a cast iron tortilla press but haven't been able to get them to flatten out enough with just the press. Today I weighed the dough balls (1.5 oz), flattened with the tortilla press, then used a small rolling pin to spread them out a full 8 inches. Worked great but it would be nice if the press would do all the work. Wondering of there is a tweak that can be made to the dough to make it flatten easier?

Also wondering if anyone has tried to fry these? Dh and I may try that tonight to get crispy taco shells.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
Has anyone tried these with corn oil flavoring drops? I believe Char suggested that and it sounds so good that way.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: darkchocolate
I would appreciate any recommendations on a good tortilla press. If you have a link, that would be greatly appreciated, also.
darkchocolate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

We can not link to a tortilla press you buy, because of the rules.

Go into a Mexican store they usually carry them. Mine was under ten bucks.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

These fry up like the chalupa shells at taco bell! Dh and I like them way better fried. I made them with half oat fiber and half coconut flour and decreased the oil to 3 tbsp. Cooked them in a dry pan first then fried in peanut oil in our deep fryer. Took them out when they are getting brown and crispy. They puff up slightly and taste amazing AND they are still pliable. So freaking good!

Oh and I saw that Trader Joe's has started carrying coconut flour cheaper than I can get it anywhere else. Double win
Old 07-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
We can not link to a tortilla press you buy, because of the rules.

Go into a Mexican store they usually carry them. Mine was under ten bucks.
I apologize asking for a link. I was just thinking the rules for links were more for products like Netrition sells. I live in a very small town, I don't even know of any Mexican store. I will have to buy from Amazon.

What size tortilla press does everyone recommend? I found some for 6" and 8" tortilla presses.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:14 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchocolate View Post
I apologize asking for a link. I was just thinking the rules for links were more for products like Netrition sells. I live in a very small town, I don't even know of any Mexican store. I will have to buy from Amazon.

What size tortilla press does everyone recommend? I found some for 6" and 8" tortilla presses.
I bought mine from Amazon. I bought a 6 inch and after making them, wished I had the 8 inch.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:10 AM   #59
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedldy View Post
I bought mine from Amazon. I bought a 6 inch and after making them, wished I had the 8 inch.
Thank you for the recommendation of the 8".

How is everyone storing the tortilla's? I plan on making this recipe today.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchocolate View Post
Thank you for the recommendation of the 8".

How is everyone storing the tortilla's? I plan on making this recipe today.

Thanks!
I store them in a brown paper bag with wax paper between the tortilla. I keep them in the fridge with the bag open.