Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   OMG, bacon fat mayo and other LC ramblings... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/821395-omg-bacon-fat-mayo-other-lc-ramblings.html)

Mimosa23 01-22-2014 07:52 AM

OMG, bacon fat mayo and other LC ramblings...

Oh, dear.... I made mayo with bacon fat and avocado oil, and the result is simply delicious! I REALLY love this stuff! :yummy:

Had to announce it, it is too good not to share with everyone on here!

Other things LC that I wanted to share:

It really works in lots of other areas that aren't related to weightloss for me: my skin is lots better, I have more energy, and feel clearer in my head. I wake up more rested even though I sleep less.

But that bacon mayo: wow, what a wonderful thing! And the best part about it is: it goes simply with everything, LOL! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

sbarr 01-22-2014 08:08 AM

Can you share your recipe? I scrambled some eggs with some bacon fat yesterday and it was so yummy. I'd forgotten how great it tasted.

Mimosa23 01-22-2014 08:14 AM

Well, I saved the fat from frying about 8 oz of bacon, filtered all the bits out, and left to get to room temperature.

The ingredients:

Bacon fat, however much you have saved
Avocado oil, however much you need after the bacon fat
1 egg and 2 egg yolks
1TB white wine vinegar
1TB dijon mustard
Pinch of seasalt
Bit of white pepper
TB of whey
squeeze of lemon

In a high beaker/measuring cup add the egg and the yolks, the vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. With a stick blender, mix on high for about 10 seconds. Then in a drizzle start adding the bacon fat, until all added. Then, start pouring in (slowly) the avocado oil until desired thickness is reached. Now the stick blender can be retired to the dishwasher. Then add the lemon juice and stir with a spoon. Then add whey and stir with a spoon. Leave covered on the counter for about 7 hours. This process of adding whey and leaving it at room temperature cultures the mayo which makes it great for gut health and also makes it keep for longer. Then transfer to fridge overnight and the next day it's ready to eat! This made about 1 1/2 cups of mayonnaise. It should keep between 7 and 10 days, if you can make it last that long!

sbarr 01-22-2014 08:22 AM

Oh I am sold. :love: I don't have a stick blender, but I do have a food chopper/blender and can use a whisk for the last stages.

Now I need to wait for my bacon to come in the mail. My last purchase of bacon was too expensive (I only bought 4 ounces at this co-op last weekend), so I bulk ordered from a farm in northwest New York that has grass-fed and farm raised meat and hope to get it by the end of the week.

I love this site - I find the right posts at the right time.

tinamanni 01-22-2014 08:24 AM

Maria emmerich posted a version recently that I keep meaning to get to

Mimosa23 01-22-2014 08:27 AM

Also, you can save bacon fat for ages, it doesn't go bad very quickly. So you can save up enough fat until you have enough to make mayo.

I do recommend combining it with another oil when making the mayo, like avocado or olive oil, to keep the mayonnaise from going solid in the fridge.

sbarr 01-22-2014 08:37 AM

I could summon up a cup of bacon in a week, easily once I get my affordable bacon... :)

Unfortunately, here in the US, much of our meat is either industrial feed lot or very expensive. So I finally saved up for a large meat order for the next several months from a farmer I've bought from for the past few years.

clackley 01-22-2014 12:15 PM

Sounds really good! What kind of whey?

snowangel9 01-22-2014 12:20 PM

That sounds amazing! And you make it sound so easy. I'll have to give it a try. Can't you be arrested in some states for that?! :hyst:

Mimosa23 01-22-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16768525)
Sounds really good! What kind of whey?

I got some from my full fat natural Turkish yoghurt. I have this awesome yoghurt strainer by cuispro....

Mimosa23 01-22-2014 12:25 PM

I am planning on having some with avocado tomorrow for dinner... I am excited at the idea of this already, LOL!

clackley 01-22-2014 01:34 PM

Thanks. I wonder if sour cream whey would work?

Mimosa23 01-22-2014 01:38 PM

Sure! Any whey would work, I think.

firechef 01-22-2014 02:57 PM

That sounds great - i assume you have to warm up bacon fat so it will pour - do you have any issues with it cooking the eggs because its warm?

I cook about 3 lbs of bacon per week and save all the fat -once a month or so, I make a batch of fried chicken wings made in bacon fat - now I have another use for the magic stuff!

Mimosa23 01-23-2014 01:47 AM

I use the bacon fat warmed to room temperature, so it's still liquid, but not so hot that it cooks the eggs.

clackley 01-23-2014 08:37 AM

Speaking of bacon, I just tried bacon and cabbage and it was really, really good!

Mimosa23 01-23-2014 08:49 AM

Oh yes, bacon and cabbage is ALWAYS good, LOL!

I usually chop up savoy cabbage or kale, and fry in plenty of butter until nice an brown and cumble over some crispy bacon and sauteed onion. Heaven!!!