Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Does anyone use commercially made Almond Milk (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/821225-does-anyone-use-commercially-made-almond-milk.html)

daisymae 01-20-2014 06:19 AM

Does anyone use commercially made Almond Milk

I've been thinking of trying one of the commercially made Almond Milk products (dont' know if I can say the brand, but it's getting lots of advertising).
For example, I often make sugar-free pudding using half HWC and half water instead of regular milk (to avoid the carbs in regular milk) and was wondering about buying some Almond Milk to use instead.

So .... just curious about how it tastes, how it works in recipes, etc.

THANKS for your help !

MargD 01-20-2014 06:36 AM

I buy Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Breeze by the case at Costco. It's one net carb, per cup.

The taste is pretty neutral, in my opinion. I use vanilla or plain. I mostly use it in smoothies, so I don't really taste it.

I just don't have the desire to make my own.

Dottie 01-20-2014 07:20 AM

I've never had the almond or coconut milk beverages thicken pudding, just as a forewarning :)
But the almond milk itself is very good:)

clackley 01-20-2014 07:25 AM

I use the Blue Diamond 'original unsweetened'. It is good in sauces. As Dottie pointed out, it does not thicken but combined with cream cheese, it can be quite good. I also use a cup of almond milk with 1/2 tsp. of glucomannan powder to make puddings.

I think it is a very useful food to have around and it lasts a couple of weeks in the fridge once opened.

Low Carb Librarian 01-20-2014 07:33 AM

My favorite is the blue diamond. I have tried others and found that they have a odd taste.

Yaz 01-20-2014 08:26 AM

I use unsweetened almond breeze.

I do make a "pudding" with it by mixing it half and half with water and a scoop of chocolate protein powder and glucomannan.

If I use the standard size container that comes with the magic bullet I add 1 tsp of gluc and find that is enough to set it.

Mistizoom 01-20-2014 08:34 AM

I also use the original unsweetened Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. It's very good, and I haven't found another "non-dairy" beverage I like better.

yvetj79 01-20-2014 08:38 AM

Yup unsweetened Almond Breeze is good.

Edwards20 01-20-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisymae (Post 16764836)
I've been thinking of trying one of the commercially made Almond Milk products (dont' know if I can say the brand, but it's getting lots of advertising).
For example, I often make sugar-free pudding using half HWC and half water instead of regular milk (to avoid the carbs in regular milk) and was wondering about buying some Almond Milk to use instead.

So .... just curious about how it tastes, how it works in recipes, etc.

THANKS for your help !

We've been using H&H instead of HWC, because of price. Does anyone know if mixing 1/2 water and 1/2 H&H would thicken the SF pudding?

daisymae 01-20-2014 08:59 AM

Using 1 cup of HWC and 3/4 cup of water ... the Sugar Free Pudding "sets up" just fine.

I just find it hard to believe that the Almond Milk is actually "low carb" ... thought maybe some other "carb" ingredients are added to it.

MsWoods 01-20-2014 09:22 AM

I actually prefer Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk to the Blue Diamond brand. You just have to make sure you get UNSWEETENED because they have sugary ones that have a lot of carbs.

Edwards20 01-20-2014 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisymae (Post 16765105)
Using 1 cup of HWC and 3/4 cup of water ... the Sugar Free Pudding "sets up" just fine.

I just find it hard to believe that the Almond Milk is actually "low carb" ... thought maybe some other "carb" ingredients are added to it.

Sorry, but do you think half & half + water would do the same?

daisymae 01-20-2014 01:47 PM

It might ....
What I would do is 1 cup of Half and Half, and then maybe 1/2 cup of water.
Try that.
You might have to "play" with the proportions, but it's really an ingredient in the pudding that makes it "set up" ... :)