Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Python49
Whip cream with my iSi dispenser - question about my HWC and whipping

Hey guys,

Can someone help me figure out what the problem here might be. I used two different creams for making my whip cream and one of them came out pretty good, albeit a bit firmer and thicker than I think whip cream is usually supposed to be, while the second one couldn't hold it's shape long enough to even get a picture taken before melting essentially.

The first one is a "whipping cream" with the following info on the carton:

This one has 30.1g total fat with 22.8g total being saturated.

Second one is a "dessert cream" with the following info on carton:

This one says it has more total fat of 30.7g, but 20.6g being from saturated. This one can't hold it's form at all. It also comes out a bit more liquidy and wet looking.

My question is if the difference in saturated fats is big enough to warrant the difference in cream? Or are there ingredients in a "whipping cream" that don't turn up in a regular dessert cream? I read that it's supposed to simply be about the fat content and HWC can make whip cream just the same as whipping cream. But if that's the case, I'm not understanding why the 2nd one doesn't work but the first one does.

I live in a third world country so maybe it's possible that the information on the 2nd one isn't accurate? Assuming both cartons had accurate info I wouldn't expect the difference in the whipped cream between the two to be so profound.
Python49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
The first one has some strange looking ingredients for heavy cream. I am not sure about them. Do they mix well with a mixer?
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Umm.... Wow. Way too many ingredients for me for heavy whipping cream. It should just be one or two ingredients. Don't know why you are having the problem though. Just plain hwc in my isi works just fine.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:37 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

The first one makes very nice whipped cream whereas the second one can't hold any form or structure and melts in my hand within seconds. But both seem to have about the same fat %, so I don't understand? I can't really just buy standard hwc because I'm living in a third world country and these are the options they import here. First one is from Denmark I believe and second one is from South Africa I think. Does the fact that the second one falls apart in my hand indicate that it's fat content is not high enough basically? Even though both have same fat % (although first one has 2g more of saturated fats)?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

The first one by the way pours like normal HWC yes and seems normal.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Do you not have access to just heavy cream by itself? Or only canned types of milk?
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I think the first one is holding together becuase of the myriad of stabilizers already in there. The second one looks more like real cream, without too much added junk (it does says stabilizers, but obviously not much detail), but if it is canned that may be why it isn't working. Have you tried whipping the second one by another method to see if it makes a difference, such as with a hand mixer? I guess my question is if it is a problem with the iSi for the second one or if it just won't whip no matter what. If the second one doesn't work, you have to decide for yourself if the carbs and other ingredients in the first one are worth it to you to be able to eat whipped cream. Personally I don't think I would eat it, but I live where there is ready access to real heavy whipping cream without added stuff.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 01-20-2014 at 07:22 AM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Skeeter,
Yeah there's no access to regular heavy cream by itself here that I've come across thus far, perhaps because all the cream is imported and processed with UHT and put into a carton that allows it to have long shelf life before opening.

Misitiz,
The second one isn't canned, they both are in a carton that is the same. I have not tried whipping it without the isi dispenser. Question though, is normal whipping cream supposed to just be the same as HWC just with a lower fat content and no additives? Or is whipping cream supposed to have some stabilizers in it to help support it's whipped cream structure? Perhaps that could explain why the first one has good form but the second one falls apart.

The first one is a "whipping cream" as far as how it's labeled, and the second one is just labeled as a dessert cream. So perhaps they add certain ingredients to the first one to allow it to be whipped even though the fat content is still the same? Or does the "whippability" of a cream merely depend on the fat content only?

Here's a third one that is also a "whipping cream" that whips pretty good:
Old 01-20-2014, 04:40 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Another question I had was if the thickness/firmness of the whipped cream was a bit too firm, can you possibly add water to the mixture to thin it out some?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
If the third one whips that looks like the best option to me. I don't know if adding water to the first one would work. It would dilute everything, I don't necessarily think it would make the final end product less stiff, but you could try and see.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Does the ISO whipper whip almond milk? I need to keep dairy very limited.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
It whips up coconut milk I'm not sure about almond milk.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dizneegirl
Python - that third option is the closest to what we call Heavy Whipping Cream, and would be what I'd use in my ISI whipper.
dizneegirl is offline   Reply With Quote