Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Whip cream with my iSi dispenser - question about my HWC and whipping (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/821187-whip-cream-my-isi-dispenser-question-about-my-hwc-whipping.html)

Python49 01-19-2014 01:02 PM

Whip cream with my iSi dispenser - question about my HWC and whipping

Hey guys,

Can someone help me figure out what the problem here might be. I used two different creams for making my whip cream and one of them came out pretty good, albeit a bit firmer and thicker than I think whip cream is usually supposed to be, while the second one couldn't hold it's shape long enough to even get a picture taken before melting essentially.

The first one is a "whipping cream" with the following info on the carton:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/32...0/827/8rjy.png

This one has 30.1g total fat with 22.8g total being saturated.

Second one is a "dessert cream" with the following info on carton:

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/36...90/36/ql92.jpg

This one says it has more total fat of 30.7g, but 20.6g being from saturated. This one can't hold it's form at all. It also comes out a bit more liquidy and wet looking.

My question is if the difference in saturated fats is big enough to warrant the difference in cream? Or are there ingredients in a "whipping cream" that don't turn up in a regular dessert cream? I read that it's supposed to simply be about the fat content and HWC can make whip cream just the same as whipping cream. But if that's the case, I'm not understanding why the 2nd one doesn't work but the first one does.

I live in a third world country so maybe it's possible that the information on the 2nd one isn't accurate? Assuming both cartons had accurate info I wouldn't expect the difference in the whipped cream between the two to be so profound.

SkeeterN 01-19-2014 02:23 PM

The first one has some strange looking ingredients for heavy cream. I am not sure about them. Do they mix well with a mixer?

snowangel9 01-19-2014 06:13 PM

Umm.... Wow. Way too many ingredients for me for heavy whipping cream. It should just be one or two ingredients. Don't know why you are having the problem though. Just plain hwc in my isi works just fine.

Python49 01-20-2014 05:37 AM

The first one makes very nice whipped cream whereas the second one can't hold any form or structure and melts in my hand within seconds. But both seem to have about the same fat %, so I don't understand? I can't really just buy standard hwc because I'm living in a third world country and these are the options they import here. First one is from Denmark I believe and second one is from South Africa I think. Does the fact that the second one falls apart in my hand indicate that it's fat content is not high enough basically? Even though both have same fat % (although first one has 2g more of saturated fats)?

Python49 01-20-2014 05:45 AM

The first one by the way pours like normal HWC yes and seems normal.

SkeeterN 01-20-2014 07:08 AM

Do you not have access to just heavy cream by itself? Or only canned types of milk?

Mistizoom 01-20-2014 07:21 AM

I think the first one is holding together becuase of the myriad of stabilizers already in there. The second one looks more like real cream, without too much added junk (it does says stabilizers, but obviously not much detail), but if it is canned that may be why it isn't working. Have you tried whipping the second one by another method to see if it makes a difference, such as with a hand mixer? I guess my question is if it is a problem with the iSi for the second one or if it just won't whip no matter what. If the second one doesn't work, you have to decide for yourself if the carbs and other ingredients in the first one are worth it to you to be able to eat whipped cream. Personally I don't think I would eat it, but I live where there is ready access to real heavy whipping cream without added stuff.

Python49 01-20-2014 04:39 PM

Skeeter,
Yeah there's no access to regular heavy cream by itself here that I've come across thus far, perhaps because all the cream is imported and processed with UHT and put into a carton that allows it to have long shelf life before opening.

Misitiz,
The second one isn't canned, they both are in a carton that is the same. I have not tried whipping it without the isi dispenser. Question though, is normal whipping cream supposed to just be the same as HWC just with a lower fat content and no additives? Or is whipping cream supposed to have some stabilizers in it to help support it's whipped cream structure? Perhaps that could explain why the first one has good form but the second one falls apart.

The first one is a "whipping cream" as far as how it's labeled, and the second one is just labeled as a dessert cream. So perhaps they add certain ingredients to the first one to allow it to be whipped even though the fat content is still the same? Or does the "whippability" of a cream merely depend on the fat content only?

Here's a third one that is also a "whipping cream" that whips pretty good:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/854/80ka.jpg

Python49 01-20-2014 04:40 PM

Another question I had was if the thickness/firmness of the whipped cream was a bit too firm, can you possibly add water to the mixture to thin it out some?

Mistizoom 01-20-2014 06:41 PM

If the third one whips that looks like the best option to me. I don't know if adding water to the first one would work. It would dilute everything, I don't necessarily think it would make the final end product less stiff, but you could try and see.

Brendajm 01-22-2014 04:15 AM

Does the ISO whipper whip almond milk? I need to keep dairy very limited.

rosethorns 01-22-2014 06:21 AM

It whips up coconut milk I'm not sure about almond milk.

dizneegirl 01-22-2014 07:02 PM

Python - that third option is the closest to what we call Heavy Whipping Cream, and would be what I'd use in my ISI whipper.