Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   sugar free spaghetti sauce (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/820736-sugar-free-spaghetti-sauce.html)

SkeeterN 01-12-2014 07:10 AM

sugar free spaghetti sauce

I use to buy the Classico Roasted Garlic spaghetti sauce but they have discontinued this one and I am seeing sugar cropping up in their sauces so no longer will I buy them. Unless someone can let me know which one they get that has no sugar. I do know that Ragu and Hunts makes one but from the past I wasn't too thrilled with the taste but may have to go with that one if I cannot find a different brand

I would like some suggestions on other brands you may use or prefer. I would like to find these in the stores instead of ordering online.

I haven't ever made a spaghetti cause by a recipe and I am not opposed to this but do like the convenience of jarred sauce.

Any ideas?

ravenrose 01-12-2014 09:17 AM

do you mean no added sugar? it would be impossible to have tomato sauce without sugar. the only way would be either to make the serving size so tiny you don't see it due to rounding, or else measurement error. plain tomato sauce has around 10 grams of sugar per cup. you can get it lower by diluting it with more water, of course.

ok, I see it has 5 grams of sugar per serving, so you do mean added sugar.

SkeeterN 01-12-2014 09:47 AM

yes of course I mean no added sugar

cjack1 01-12-2014 10:24 AM

Trader Joe's marinara sauce is my favorite

SkeeterN 01-12-2014 10:32 AM

Wish we had a trader Joe's

rosethorns 01-12-2014 11:32 AM

Anita look for Hunts in the big can no sugar added. I have it up here but in only 1 store. I use that and add my goodies, black olives , a little onion and mushrooms.
It's hard to find, but if they carry the Hunts in the big can then they can order it for you.

SkeeterN 01-12-2014 01:15 PM

Found Prego Lite and also Classico tomato and basil didn't seem to have any added either

dizneegirl 01-13-2014 02:05 PM

It's not difficult to make spaghetti sauce from plain tomato sauce.

Add whatever flavors you like in a sauce - garlic, basil, oregano, etc., then a little salt & pepper, Splenda (or whatever) if you like a sweet sauce, cayenne or red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.

Add whatever else you like in a sauce - onions, green peppers, mushrooms, browned hamburger, meatballs.

Simmer until it's all hot, and any veggies you've included are cooked through/softened.

Or... buy whatever brand you can find of pre-done sauce, and doctor with herbs/spices if necessary to suit your taste.

Ginaaaaaa 01-13-2014 02:12 PM

I've always made my own sauce but I can seem to find just plain tomatoes in a jar, just in cans and I don't like to use anything in a can.

I like the Bella Vita, I use to buy it at my local store but they stopped selling it. I need to ask them to carry it again. You can buy it at netrition if you order from there.

Mistizoom 01-14-2014 09:51 AM

Last time we discussed spaghetti sauces this I found a few Classico flavors that had no added sugar. Also Mario Batali pasta sauce has no added sugar, but it is very expensive.

momacat 01-14-2014 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizneegirl (Post 16755358)
It's not difficult to make spaghetti sauce from plain tomato sauce.

Add whatever flavors you like in a sauce - garlic, basil, oregano, etc., then a little salt & pepper, Splenda (or whatever) if you like a sweet sauce, cayenne or red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.

Add whatever else you like in a sauce - onions, green peppers, mushrooms, browned hamburger, meatballs.

Simmer until it's all hot, and any veggies you've included are cooked through/softened.

Or... buy whatever brand you can find of pre-done sauce, and doctor with herbs/spices if necessary to suit your taste.

I totally agree.

NHB_AJ 01-14-2014 11:42 AM

I use Hunt's no added sugar and add my own onion, garlic, mushroom and spices. Lately I have been adding two tablespoons on top of my morning cheese omelette. It's like breakfast lasagna. Hunts has 6 carbs per 1/4 cup I believe so two tblsp. is maybe 1 or 2. I love it.

JHoberer 01-14-2014 11:57 AM

I like the Bella Vita- the spicy one. It isn't really too spicy though.

tulipsandroses 01-15-2014 05:04 PM

Silver Plate. I've seen it at Kroger. If you have Krogers.

Full of Fiber 01-20-2014 05:12 AM

Costco brand

Costco's store brand, "Kirkland" has a no sugar added sauce. It's a rich sauce and, being Costco, it's a pretty good deal (comes packaged with 3 jars).