Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Pasta Dough for KitchenAid Pasta Press

Continuing the discussion from the Asian Pork Patties thread...

Meet super low carb spaghetti and macaroni!!! (Pictures is 2 different batches but not all of what was made in either batch... we had already consumed a lot!)

The recipe I used was Buttoni's dumpling recipe with the optional coconut flour for firmess added. Except when I quadrupled the recipe, I forgot to quadruple the eggs. I'm now going to have to try the recipe with more eggs. Thanks to Penguin for inspiring me to try this out too!

The taste and look is remarkably like the real thing. Amazing, really. It's a bit blander than regular pasta so I recommend bolder sauces and just a bit softer in texture. They do smell a bit different too but it isn't noticeable in a sauce topped dish. The strands/pieces hold their shape extremely well coming out of the press. The dough is quite easy to work with. If you find that the dough is too firm to extrude well (my spaghetti batch went through easily, the macaroni was having issues), I found that rolling the dough balls in a water dampened hand before dropping them into the hopper worked beautifully. They also keep awesomely well in the fridge as raw pasta. The dough cleaned up exactly like regular pasta- pull out the big bits and leave the smaller leftover bits in the machine for a few hours. They brush out easily with the provided brush.

Serves 8

1 lg egg
6 T glucomannan powder
6 T oat fiber
1 T baking powder
1/2 t kosher salt
2 t coconut flour
1 1/2 cups water

Beat egg in KitchenAid mixer bowl. Slowly mix in dry ingredients. Mixture will be a fine powder. Add water and mix until combined. Let sit for 8 minutes to thicken. Run through pasta press in hand-shaped balls that fit the hopper. Boil like normal fresh pasta.

The pasta is probably better cooked as needed instead of kept already cooked as leftovers. Uncooked noodles last at least a week covered in the fridge.

I boiled spaghetti 4 minutes in CHICKEN BROTH, drained them and buttered them before topping them with my tomato based sauce.

The only way I have tried the macaroni so far (which I subbed bouillon powder for the salt, which is why they are darker) is in the microwave and it worked but not as well as on the stove... a skin formed and looked weird until I drained and rinsed them. I imagine 5 minutes in boiling water/ broth is plenty though.

Buttoni's dumpling recipe calculations made a 1/8th of my recipe (1 serving of pasta) 43 calories and .6 net carbs... but 3 eggs are missing from that recipe so... I'm thinking 16.75 calories and .375 net carbs. WOW.

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 01-06-2014 at 09:31 PM..
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Oh my...I might try this with my hand crank pasta machine.. Yours looks fabulous.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I do think I'd use more egg or water for hand cranked... you'd want a softer dough.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Which attachments do you have? For kitchen aid?
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Perdita
Stats: 215/150/150
WOE: LC/IF
Couple of questions...

Are these better (meaning more pasta-like) than store-bought shirataki or shirataki-tofu blend noodles?

Do they not taste like coconut? (I must be oversensitive to coconut flour, because I have absolutely no idea how so many people use it in savory recipes, it overpowers everything for me.)

Thanks for the recipe, tempting.
Perdita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
That looks AMAZING, AMAZING!!!!!I eonder if I can handle this. OMY YUM!!!

I can't wait to try it.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Which attachments do you have? For kitchen aid?
[threadjack]

HI JANIE!!!!
How nice to "see" you - was thinking of you just the other day!

[/threadjack]
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Jen, umm WOW!! My daughter will be in love with you when I show her this! Question, is the pasta in your picture without all the eggs? And it still looked and tasted fine? Or is this the remake? Amazing.

I knew there was a reason I bought all those attachments! I also have a pasta machine. Would this dough work in that too, you think?
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: catkan
WOE: Moderate Carbs
Wow! That looks really good!
catkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Ok. My leftover mixed & cooked spaghetti noodles and tomato based spicy sauce were even better today. (Isn't that always the case with pasta dishes? lol) The noodles were firmer and less bland. So even though it was fabulous last night all freshly made- combining an tomato sauce with spaghetti shaped pasta at least and chilling it overnight does indeed improve it even more. That was not the case when I made Buttoni's asian pork patties and dumplings... they were better the first night than as leftovers the next day.

The pictures show the pasta fresh out of the maker- uncooked. Both are made from the 1 egg recipe I show. This is the only kind I have ever made. I had meant to use 4 eggs but I accidentally used 1. It's great and even lower calorie and lower carb than I had intended.

The only attachment this uses is the "KitchenAid Pasta Press" Mine was $165. It requires a KitchenAid stand mixer of any kind.

Perdita- these are WILDLY better than the shirataki noodles. These are not chewy at all and there is no nasty fishy water to mess with. Sometimes I can tell there is a difference in a dish and other times I really, honestly can't.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
could this dough be rolled and cut by hand? or must it be rolled through a mechanical press?

Also, do you think these could be frozen before cooking?

Last edited by Deb34; 01-07-2014 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: new ?
Deb34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Awesome. Thanks Jen. Going to try this for sure. Just have to order some glucomannan.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I do think with the addition of a bit more water or another egg this could be rolled out by hand. I think it may be freezable too... just a guess.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #14
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Wow, I need to drag out the KA and the pasta attachment and try this - I even have all the ingredients! Thanks! That looks so good.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Penguin is really to thank. I wondered out loud about this and she had already done it! Her beautiful noodle picture in in the Pork Patties thread.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
Well thanks! But really it's Buttoni's awesome recipe that inspired my never-ending quest for noodles lol.

Jhoberer, I am fascinated by your lack of eggs and will have to give that a try! I love using the pasta on my JUDDD down days and fewer egg calories will mean I can eat even more.

Carolyn and others who have asked about a regular pasta machine - I tried Buttoni's original dumpling dough in my regular pasta maker and simply could not get it to work. I only tried a couple of times, and then turned to the Kitchenaid. That doesn't mean it's not possible - maybe with the lower amount of egg or some other modifications a regular pasta maker might do the job. Also, my niece says she has a pasta maker (Popiel, I think she said?) that sounds like it's an extruder. She's going to try it and let me know. I've also rolled out the dough and cut into noodles but it's impossible for me to get the same thickness, and I guess I'd call it "suppleness" in the resulting product. But if you don't have the right equipment, then the rolled version ain't bad.

Please note that we're not talking about the Kitchenaid pasta "roller" type attachments. We're talking extrusion here. The kitchenaid pasta press is an extruder-style, that sends the dough through a spiral that firms it and shapes it as it squishes through the shape disc so that when it comes out its a somewhat different texture than when it goes in. Kitchenaid has two types of pasta extruders - the older style which is simply its grinder attachment with pasta plates (no longer sold by KA but available on Ebay), and the new version which is designed differently but gives the same type of end product for spaghetti, but doesn't have the noodle disc. I have both versions, and use the old style one when I want noodles, or either one for spaghetti. I have not yet tried the macaroni.

I don't taste even a hint of coconut in this, but then I don't seem to be particularly sensitive to the taste of coconut flour. I use it for so many things, like Maria's sub rolls, and it's just fine for me.

This picture shows a batch I made - the thinner squigglier ones are done through the pasta press, while the thicker, straighter ones were rolled out form the little nut-size piece of dough that's left after making the noodles:

penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Subbing...I might have a KA pasta attachment, but I have no idea which one, and if I do have one it hasn't been used in years. I will have to check.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Yes, there definitely is NOT a coconut taste. They don't taste like much of anything, which is why I suggested a strongly flavored sauce.

And yes there are 2 very different pasta attachments- the one we use is the press... the noodles are pushed through tiny holes in circular plates.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Making a crockpot chicken, bacon, chopped cauliflower casserole with the remainder of the macaroni today. The sauce will be cream cheese, american or cheddar, sour cream, ranch mix, garlic and probably some almond milk if it needs thinning out.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Yes, there definitely is NOT a coconut taste. They don't taste like much of anything, which is why I suggested a strongly flavored sauce.

And yes there are 2 very different pasta attachments- the one we use is the press... the noodles are pushed through tiny holes in circular plates.
Thanks for the pic, we definitely do not have that one.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Oh my gosh, thanks for this experiment!!

These look like real pasta! I just went online to Amazon and to Kitchen
Aid, they want $189 bucks for this extruder. How did you come by it for
$165??
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:15 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Overstock and a 10% off coupon code several weeks ago

I think this could be doable with another press/ pasta maker with more water added.

You can always roll it out by hand and cut fettucine or lasagna noodles, play with the dough and see if you like it and how soft you can get it. Try it will a T less glucomannan maybe.

Last edited by JHoberer; 01-08-2014 at 05:25 PM..
Old 01-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

You can also use the grinder attachment with pasta plates -the pasta plates are no longer made or sold by KA, but available on Ebay. The grinder plate for sausage works but makes a very thick spaghetti. To get the thinner stuff you need the pasta plates. I think any pasta maker that extrudes would work. My first experiments on these were done on a tiny hand-cranked plastic model I found at the flea market for $2 (the experiment is buried somewhere deep in the original dumpling thread, I think). It worked sorta, but the dough was really tough on it and it cracked after only a few uses. Then I tried the "regular" metal pasta maker that you crank by hand and couldn't get it to work, and then slapped myself on the forehead, thinking holy cow, I have all these attachments I've never used for my KA.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
hmm. I have one of those Popiel ones. I would be interested to see if that works.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

HEY! It's 148.99 on Sears' website! Try code SEARS5OFF50 for another $5 off.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

You can also use the KA grinder attachment but you will need the pasta plates which KA no longer makes or sells. You can get them on Ebay, and maybe get lucky and pick up a set cheap when no one is bidding. The grinder attachment has a couple of discs for grinding meat, and these sorta work, but produce a very thick spaghetti type noodle which I didn't find appealing, but might be okay if you have the grinder and want to experiment while you try to score the pasta plates.

I think any extruder-style maker would work. My first experiments with the dough were done with a very small plastic gadget I found at the flea market for $2. It made great noodles but the dough was very hard on the unit, and it cracked and became unusable after only a few batches. Plus it was very hard on my hands! I then tried the regular metal style (Marcato) that you crank by hand and couldn't get the dough to work. Then I smacked myself in the head, remembering all the unused attachments I had buried away for my KA, picked out the extruder, and had great results right away. Later I tried experiments with the grinder/meat plates, which weren't to my liking, but using the pasta plates - perfect! Now I alternate between both attachments, depending on which shape I want to make. But I do like the extruder best, for ease of use and clean up, and less dough left at the end of the process.

Speaking of which, if you make these frequently, you can just save the little walnut-size piece of leftover dough and run it through first on your next batch.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I use the leftover bit to make a single hand shaped lasagna noodle... I've got 2 so far, haha.

Interesting about the ones that go with the sausage grinder. I have that too but never heard of the pasta press parts for it.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
That is an idea about using the grinder and pasta plates. I have neither but together they would be about $100 probably. Well I guess I'm not sure what price the Ebay pasta plates will go for. I think I will try my Popiel extruder first. Though when making regular pasta in one it broke. I do have a new one though but not so sure on how long that would work. But I will try it. Have to wait until I am off hcg right now.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

My creamy cheesy chicken macaroni "helper" crockpot meal was delish!
Old 01-08-2014, 09:45 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

That sounds so good - recipe? Did the macaroni stay hollow when you cooked it? Can't wait to hear how your saved-up lasagna noodles turn out lol.