Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Brenda I have the Norpro and mine did not spin.

Someone earlier helpfully did say we did not need that metal cutter in there. I probably ate some very fine plastic shavings with my pasta!
I won't use that cutting blade again between the plastic pasta plates & the body of the Norpro. Thanks to whoever mentioned that.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2014, 09:01 AM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I use a different recipe than the originator of this thread. I tweaked buttoni's dumpling recipe....

This is the recipe that I currently use. Note for smaller firmer gnocchi I use 1/2 tsp baking powder, and for larger lighter gnocchi I use 1 tsp.

1 1/2 tbsp Oat Fiber 500
1 1/2 tsp Konjac Glucomannan Powder
1 tbsp Pea Protein Isolate - I had been using Lupin Flour
1/2 tsp Magic Baking Powder
1 Eggs, Large
30 g Egg Whites
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tbsp Dried Parsley
1/2 tbsp Dried Italian Seasoning
6 tbsp water = 1/4 cup + 3 tbsp

I let it sit after being mixed together for about 5 minutes. Then I roll into cylinders and cut into gnocchi.
This looks like a recipe I would want to work with. Does it work as well for spaghetti as it does with gnocchi? Is Magic baking powder the same as regular baking powder?

Last edited by Redeemed; 01-31-2014 at 09:06 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #243
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
This looks like a recipe I would want to work with. Does it work as well for spaghetti as it does with gnocchi?
It works great for gnocchi but the spaghetti sticks together. I will try half 1/2 tbsp lupin and 1/2 tbsp coconut flour next time and see if that works. When I used 1 tbsp of coconut flour I found it very hard to extrude from my little gadget.

I've been browsing the local free classifieds and have found WARING PRIMO PASTA & DOUGH MAKER PS101 really cheap! Someone is selling a never been used one for $25.00 and another person has a used one for $5.00.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_20.JPG (86.6 KB, 28 views)
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
It works great for gnocchi but the spaghetti sticks together. I will try half 1/2 tbsp lupin and 1/2 tbsp coconut flour next time and see if that works. When I used 1 tbsp of coconut flour I found it very hard to extrude from my little gadget.

I've been browsing the local free classifieds and have found WARING PRIMO PASTA & DOUGH MAKER PS101 really cheap! Someone is selling a never been used one for $25.00 and another person has a used one for $5.00.
I wonder if adding a TBS olive oil would help with the sticking? I like the spices and smaller amount of gluc and fiber in this recipe, that's why I'm interested in it.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:26 AM   #245
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I tried adding a bit of olive oil in one batch and it didn't help. I think to make spaghetti you really need some coconut flour in the recipe.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:29 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Judy,thanks for that info.. not the tab that was on my spaghetti one is gone,,probably from the spinning and that blade!! grrrr.. I wonder if I call they will send me a new plastic spaghetti one,, the fettucine is probably gone too,I didn't check it.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:14 PM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
I wonder if the Starfrit Meat Grinder would work as it looks very similar to the Norpro Grinder/Mincer?

The Norpro isn't available in Canada but the Starfrit is and I found it online for $24.99 CAD.
Sorry, I didn't see this was answered already.

Last edited by Deb34; 01-31-2014 at 02:17 PM..
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #248
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
I have found that if you mix the clumped pasta with butter or Pam or olive oil or sauce right away after draining then it unclumps easily if you stir it with a fork.

Tonight we had chicken parmesan & spaghetti with Bella Vita sauce with added italian diced tomatoes, topped with mozzarella. The 2 chicken patties are kinda hidden under all the cheese in my pic though.

I'm looking at that amazing spaghetti!!!...
Old 01-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #249
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I simmered it for about 4 minutes. I wonder if it's because I'm not using coconut flour but a combo of lupin flour and/or pea protein isolate?

Next batch I'll just put it straight onto a plate with sauce already in it and see how that works.
Yaz, I have the lupin and pea protein too.

Which recipe are you currently using? There are so many variations, I don't know which recipe everybody is working with now.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:47 PM   #250
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
Yaz, I have the lupin and pea protein too.

Which recipe are you currently using? There are so many variations, I don't know which recipe everybody is working with now.
Here is a link to my post on my latest attempt.

Pasta Dough for KitchenAid Pasta Press

1 1/2 tbsp Glucomannan
1 1/2 tbsp Oat Fiber
1 tbsp Coconut Flour
1 large egg
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp baking powder

I'm going to make another batch tonight but I'll increase the water and not let the dough rest. Hopefully it will come out of my pasta pronto easier. I'll let the strands rest before cooking.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #251
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I finally got spaghetti just about right. My failures were the result of not using coconut flour. I guess the Lupin wasn't cutting it.

I did have a hard time extruding it from my pasta pronto and I only let the "dough" rest for a few minutes.

Next time I'll try and extrude it right after it comes together and let it rest as strands. If that doesn't work I guess I'll be ordering the Norco.

I made a smaller batch using:
1 1/2 tbsp Glucomannan
1 1/2 tbsp Oat Fiber
1 tbsp Coconut Flour
1 large egg
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp water
1/2 tsp baking powder

Do you think I should add more egg or water to help it extrude easier? The finished product is fantastic! I was able to drain into a collander and it didn't stick together at all.
just need to ask another question about the amount of coconut flour everybody is using? The original of Carolyn F I think says 2 teaspoons for the full recipe but others are making small batch/half recipe with one full tablespoon? Is this dough really that forgiving? I hope so !!!! Cause I'm ordering my Norpro next week! Can someone say which pasta attachments come with this? All I see on Amazon is that it comes with 3 pasta attachments but doesn't specify which ones.

Last edited by Deb34; 01-31-2014 at 02:57 PM..
Old 01-31-2014, 03:08 PM   #252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
just need to ask another question about the amount of coconut flour everybody is using? The original of Carolyn F I think says 2 teaspoons for the full recipe but others are making small batch/half recipe with one full tablespoon? Is this dough really that forgiving? I hope so !!!! Cause I'm ordering my Norpro next week! Can someone say which pasta attachments come with this? All I see on Amazon is that it comes with 3 pasta attachments but doesn't specify which ones.
My guess is that's a typo, I'm sure she meant 1 teaspoon coconut flour. I misread the original recipe when I tried it and used tablespoons instead of teaspoons and it made it crumbly.

Last edited by PaminKY; 01-31-2014 at 03:10 PM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:47 PM   #253
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
My guess is that's a typo, I'm sure she meant 1 teaspoon coconut flour. I misread the original recipe when I tried it and used tablespoons instead of teaspoons and it made it crumbly.
LOL! I misread it too! And have been using 1 Tablespoon!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #254
Major LCF Poster!

I too used tablespoons. Yikes. So it it teaspoon ? I used two cups of water so maybe that is why mine was not crumbly??
Old 01-31-2014, 06:13 PM   #255
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
With all these different tried and true versions it is getting kind of confusing lol. I'v printed out a few and maybe will try this weekend.

That spaghetti looks fabulous.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
yeah--my first attempt was crumbly because I misread T for t--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:56 PM   #257
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: sjl330
Stats: 184/141/140 5'7"
WOE: EFGT-Barry Groves
Start Date: January 2003
I don't think the pasta disc is supposed to be spinning when you turn the crank. there are little tabs that you put in place when you put the big screw thing on and that keeps it in place. Hope that helps. It's hard to describe it, lol. but the only thing going round and round is the handle, lol.
sjl330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:09 PM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Yeah well my tabs are now gone. All the spinning ground them off. The directions that come with the norpro suck.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #259
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yummmo
Pierogies are possible.
I made my first batch of spaghetti noodles in my Norpro, cleaned up the kitchen, rolled out that little end piece of dough, put it in the freezer and turned off the lights. 20 minutes later, I ran back to the kitchen, slightly defrosted the frozen 11/2 by 5 inch piece paper thin dough, mixed up some cheddar, ricotta, and seasonings, then pressed a teaspoonful into a pierogie/ravioli shape--it made 2. I plopped them into boiling water for almost 2 minutes---then ate them. Yum. The dough is different in taste, but the filling stayed put, the dough didn't fall apart--yeah. Thank you all for the recipe and the tweeks found on here. There really is no reason now to go back to poison white flour again.
yummmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:20 AM   #260
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Yes, I use teaspoons of coconut flour. Can't wait to try pad thai, lasagna and Cincinnati chili! Off to the store tomorrow! Before Sunday's snow hits!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #261
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sjanette
WOE: Low Carb/Keto, minimum on gluten and sugarfree
Start Date: August 2013
First try to make macaroni!

I'll have to wait untill tomorrow before I can eat it
Sjanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #262
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sjanette
WOE: Low Carb/Keto, minimum on gluten and sugarfree
Start Date: August 2013
I just ate my "macaroni" with cheese and turkey! OW MY! It was HEAVEN!!!! Thank you SO much!

Last edited by Sjanette; 02-02-2014 at 08:53 AM..
Sjanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Ok I just ordered my Norpro pasta maker from amazon.

I have read through the whole thread, which recipe is working the best? Some are using less baking powder, or none at all, some are adding more water etc. cooking times are all different too.

Thank you for coming up with this recipe, I can't wait to get my pasta maker.

Debbie....
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Jen ,please post your pad Thai recipe!!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #265
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/117/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I made it over the weekend using exactly the recipe from post #1. It came out perfect, even for this kitchen klutz.

I got my Kitchen Aid pasta accessory off the shelf where it has been collecting dust since 2010. This is the extruder-style one that is no longer sold and can also be used as a meat grinder. I think it used to sell for about $80 around 2008, or 2009 ish. It worked great!

I only had Glucomannan capsules, which I opened up. It took many many capsules to get 6 T. This was all I could find locally. I've already ordered the powder because I will be making this a lot.

This stuff is really filling. I had a small quantity with some Trader Joe pesto and I couldn't even finish it. I had the leftovers the next day, cold, so good! Maybe better on day 2, as others have mentioned. I still have a large quantity of this pasta in my fridge. I've been so excited to think about the possible uses for it.

Can't wait to try the macaroni when my Glucomannan gets here!

I am so grateful for the creative ones who saw the possibilities in this recipe! Thank you so so much!!!

Last edited by MargD; 02-03-2014 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Way too many exclamation points.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I still haven't tried making this again but I got to wondering if anybody had tried baking this recipe. I'm wondering if it would make a good pizza crust.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #267
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Made some rigatoni with Mr. Norpro..Put it raw in a pasta casserole and will bake it with meatballs/zukes/onion/sauce and cheese.

Then I made some spaghetti with the leftover..It is the perfect size for spaghetti..

Hint: You need to push the raw dough down the chute..I happen to buy a Fiji bottle
of water..Has a squarish bottom and works great as a pusher..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I'm sitting here eating pasta primavera and feeling so grateful for this recipe. Pasta, how I've missed you!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #269
Senior LCF Member

I'm so so happy to see all these happy pasta eating people!!! We've come together for a real success here, yet again! Keep posting- successes and failures!

I don't have a pad thai recipe. I haven't made it yet because this dumb stinkin' town I moved to doesn't have bean sprouts!!! When I find some I'll make it!

Last night we had Italian soup- I boiled a few cups of Sam's Club pizza sausage (ask at snack bar if you want to buy) in 4 cups chicken broth. I added 1 can of italian seasoned diced tomatoes and 3 diced zucchini plus some additional seasoning: garlic, onion, pepper, italian seasoning. When the zucchini was tender I threw in a handful of small spaghetti noodles. After 2 minutes I added a can of green beans. DELICIOUS! The sausage made this soup!

Tonight I am making lasagna! My oven has been fixed!!!! I'm going to boil the noodles for 1 minutes then let them sit in a bowl of spaghetti sauce in the fridge all day. I want that "awesome leftovers" taste the first day!!!

Jen
Old 02-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #270
Senior LCF Member

That is in the oven right now!

The noodles "marinating" in the sauce seemed to work well. I think they soaked up a lot of yummy flavor! They did stick together some so I had to peel them apart with my fingers... but I think it'll be worth it! And some broke... but you'd never know it!