Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 AM   #91
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Thanks for the review on the old-style pasta attachment with the KA - that's what I have. The grinder came with the pasta dies.

I've got to try this sometime this week! Just been too much going on around here to get to it!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/174.8/132
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 12/May 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I was looking at that one, but ended up buying the Pasta Pronto instead. I got it on Saturday and made "spaghetti" yesterday. It WORKED! of course I screwed up the recipe but it still turned out okay.
Can you post a photo of the pasta pronto. I am in Canada and I can't find it.
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #93
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipoo View Post
Can you post a photo of the pasta pronto. I am in Canada and I can't find it.
Cheryl, I'm in Canada too, and couldn't find it here anywhere. I ordered from Amazon in the US and had it shipped to a friends house in Buffalo and drove down to pick it up. There are some on ebay I believe and wdrake carries it as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p343556b.jpg (70.4 KB, 33 views)
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Love&Luck
Stats: (229) 181/153.5/140 5'4"
WOE: General LC (under 30 net)
Start Date: yep
Thanks for posting this - I can't wait to try it!
Love&Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
Cheryl, I'm in Canada too, and couldn't find it here anywhere. I ordered from Amazon in the US and had it shipped to a friends house in Buffalo and drove down to pick it up. There are some on ebay I believe and wdrake carries it as well.
Is this item plastic or metal? If the dough is stiff won't break/crack a plastic device like this?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #96
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

It's plastic but pretty rugged. My dough is not that stiff as I'm using a different recipe than the OP.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Pam- small macaroni, I used the attachment slicer
sjl- Dontcha just love those 1/2 an egg recipes? lol
SooBee- delightful- definitely!
Sphinxy- I added bouillon powder to mine once- didn't seem to change anything, really.
Yaz- yay for success! How did you goof up the recipe?
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kathy76
Stats: (313)282/160.8/155-160
Start Date: 9/19/05
I just made 1/2 a batch and used a whole egg. It turned out great, I made alfredo sauce and had broccoli and chicken breast with it. I used the KA meat grinder with the smaller plate, then rolled them out with a rolling pin. They looked like homemade egg noodles. I wish I could get the fancy new KA pasta press but not right now $$$

I am planning on lasagna next
kathy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: That Girl
There are so many posts, I can't go thru all of them, so I am cheating! Anybody know if any of the recipes here make a suitable dumpling or pierogi? thanks!
That Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/174.8/132
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 12/May 14
You might want to search for Buttoni's dumpling recipe. I don't know how to post a link - maybe someone can help here. It is an awesome recipe but it is on another thread
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
See if this works - but it's a 15 page thread at this point!

The original recipe was delicious as written.

Dumplings
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:31 PM   #102
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Pam- small macaroni, I used the attachment slicer
sjl- Dontcha just love those 1/2 an egg recipes? lol
SooBee- delightful- definitely!
Sphinxy- I added bouillon powder to mine once- didn't seem to change anything, really.
Yaz- yay for success! How did you goof up the recipe?
Jen,

I used a full tablespoon to measure out my dry ingredients instead of the 1/2 tbsp I normally use, so I had double the amount of dry ingredients but the same amount of wet!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #103
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I've made "Gnocci" twice now... first time per the op recipe, and cooked in chicken broth. They were fine, but bland, and not quite done in the middle (though they were fine the texturewise the next day after refrigerating in the broth overnight). That batch didn't have the coconut flour added to it. The second time I rolled them thinner, added garlic powder and tarragon (and salt), and used the coconut flour. They were much tastier, and held up better when added to a thick chicken and veggie soup/stew. My pasta press arrived, and I can't wait to try it.

Question: Anyone who has made spaghetti, is it twirlable?
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:54 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I made spaghetti. It's definitely twirlable.
My last batch I made without the baking powder. (It's my fourth batch, but who's counting?) The dough was less springy and harder to manage. However, the finished product was smoother and had more the texture of real pasta. So I think I will try to make it without the baking powder from now on unless I get tired of working with the dough,
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Thank you, Jen for this great recipe. It's going to be a lifesaver. No more shirataki or dreamfields for us. I even made up bags of the dry ingredients to keep on hand.

Because of this thread I had to buy the ka extruder. My hand crank pasta machine just didn't work for me. I made 1/2 of original recipe, one whole egg, but a little less water. Yippee! It was great. Couldn't believe it. Cooked it in chicken broth, drained, put back in pan and splashed in cream, butter, parm and pepper. Delicious right away.

However, the finished dish looked pretty thick. So I poured some more cream on top and added a pat of butter. (Kudos to Tyler Florence who does this for his mashed potatoes) The idea is to stir this in at end when serving which is what I did several hours later. It was still very thick, spaghetti kind of stuck together. Still delicious though.

Any suggestions on how to correct this?
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #106
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I tried a batch yesterday and it didn't turn out too pretty. What came out of the press was a crumbly messed up bunch of macaroni. Pretty sure it's user error more than anything since I've never tried to make homemade pasta.

I'm going to experiment more but I think I'll start making half batches and maybe use a smaller egg. I did cook some of the stuff I made and added some cheese and butter and it was surprisingly good, the mouthfeel was a little strange but not bad. I might try adding some nutritional yeast to a batch to see what kind of flavor that produces.

What brand of coconut flour is everybody using? I just grabbed the first bag I came to and it was Wilderness Family Naturals but I can pick up a bag of Bob's when I go to the HFS if everybody has had better luck with it.

I also bought the older style KA pasta attachment so I could make different style noodles. I used the new stle attachment yesterday and I ended up having to put my mixer all the wayup to 10 to get it to extrude.

Last edited by PaminKY; 01-22-2014 at 07:24 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member

I have a FB friend who is going to try this on a spiralizer!

Jake- DEFINITELY twirlable. Looks and feels exactly like pasta. Smells a bit different while boiling but NOT on the plate. Texture is very, very similar but a tad softer to chew.

Soobee- I wondered if the baking powder would be needed... but it does puff it up a bit so you get "more". Very interesting experiment!

Angeloco- It was life altering for me too! Do you butter the noodles as soon as they are drained and stir the butter in? That is how I fixed any sticking.

Pam- the dough is not crumbly at all. It's a hunk of rubber. WHen you pull off a piece and squish it in your hand it is easy to squish and a bit rubberier than play-doh. But not crumbly. I think you need to add water, especially since you said it wouldn't extrude. At the very least roll your dough balls with a damp hand before dropping them into the hopper. I had one batch that didn't want to extrude and this fixed it right up. I use Coconut Secret.

Jen
Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong. I did dampen them a bit before dropping them in the hopper but my dough was pretty sticky too.

I have a can of the Coconut Secret in the cabinet, I'll try it next time. I'll keep trying.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

This is very odd... my dough is definitely not sticky either. Sticky would be very hard to work with. I used Konjac glucomannan if that helps- and LifeSource Oat Fiber.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:28 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I used those brands too so about the only difference is the coconut flour and like I said before the user (me!). What setting did you have to put your mixer on and did you have to use the pusher?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
i wonder if too much coconut flour leads to crumbles--i didn't see in the original recipe that it was 2 teaspoons rather than tablespoons of coconut flour--I removed what I could, but I bet there was more than 2 tsps and my resulting dough was crumbly
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Could someone tell me me if this is induction friendly? Given the low carb count I was thinking it would be.

Thanks,
Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I used Honeyville Coconut Flour, and it worked fine. First attempt with the KA pasta press I made rigatoni, which came out well once I realized that you need a certain amount of dough in the hopper for it to work well. Then I tried the spaghetti plate. It comes out more like angel hair, so be advised. But that worked, too, once I got the hang of it. Just adjust your cooking time, because it cooks much more quickly than the rigatoni!!

FYI, if you overcook your spaghetti, toss it in a pan with a bit of sauce, and it becomes remarkably like risotto.

For the record, I only used 1 1/2 teaspoons of Baking Powder, and added 1/2 t each of garlic powder and Bells seasoning.

Also, in the interest of science, I tried drying some of my spaghetti, and then boiling it to see whether it would re-hydrate. Well, the answer is no. It will soften a bit, but becomes like a long strand of rubber band. Not edible. Which begs the question: how are people storing this pasta? I know earlier someone mentioned that the dough can be kept in the fridge until you are ready to use it, at least for a few days, so I assume you can extrude the pasta in the afternoon and keep it in a plastic bag before cooking it for dinner. Any other ideas?

My heartfelt thanks to all who developed this recipe. Since starting LC for health reasons, I have not missed pizza, and found zoodles satisfied my spaghetti fix, but my comfort food withdrawal was for macaroni casserole, and now I can have it again. And an occasional lasagna, too, assuming I can figure out how to get the dough through a hand crank machine.

It may be dark and cold out, but I am beaming!
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
It may be dark and cold out, but I am beaming!
And that is why I love posting here!!! So many of the recipes here have had me beaming too!!!

Jake, I believe you solved the mystery as to why shirataki noodles come packaged in liquid!

Iwant- not technically induction but there are so few calories and carbs *I* would do it.

Ouizoid- too much coconut flour would definitely dry it out. COconut flour can really suck up liquids!!! And not enough glucomannan would make it not stick together and get that nice elasticity. The oat fiber I think could be played with a bit... it's more for taste, texture and bulk I think.

Pam- I mostly used 6 but sometimes used 8.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gonna try a VERY low calorie simple Mexican soup tomorrow... chicken-tomato bouillon (Mazola brand- I love it!), water, and tiny cuts of angel hair pasta and a little salsa.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:06 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: diwitch
Stats: 140/140/140
WOE: Mine
Start Date: Jan, 2009
I have been wanting a meat grinder anyway, so I got the Norpro grinder/mincer/pasta maker. I made half of the original recipe, for the egg I just weighed one egg, put it in the magic bullet and used half for the pasta.

Success! My husband and I are both diabetic and this had virtually NO impact on our blood sugar. My hubby is very picky (worse than a little kid picky) and he loved it.

Someone mentioned wondering if you need the blade in the Norpro for pasta, answer is no, I tried with and without, definitely no you don't need it,

Jen, all I have to say to you is:

diwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:11 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
I dry out the pasta for an hour or two on a cookie sheet. Then I put it in a gallon Ziplock in the fridge. My husband wanted spaghetti for his American Chop Suey recipe, and that spaghetti has been fine in the fridge for several days. (I ate all of mine!) Today I am going to make pasta for the 5th time. I will try it with 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, as you suggested.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:20 AM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got the same Norpro diwitch described and made spaghetti last night.
I made a half recipe and it was perfect.
I didn't cook all the noodles. I left about 3/4 of them in the refrigerator.

I almost think my skinny noodles would "cook" with any hot sauce ladled over them.
I think mine were done in 2 minutes in chicken broth.
I left them in the broth for 3 minutes and the noodles got very short! Carolyn mentioned maybe I boiled them too vigorously, which is probably true.

diwitch - thanks for letting us know about the blade not being necessary.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
i wonder if too much coconut flour leads to crumbles--i didn't see in the original recipe that it was 2 teaspoons rather than tablespoons of coconut flour--I removed what I could, but I bet there was more than 2 tsps and my resulting dough was crumbly
I THINK THAT'S IT!!!!! I'm pretty sure I used tablespoons too, you'd think I would know by now that a small t means teaspoons.

Thanks Ouiz for pointing that out. I can't wait to try it again.

As for cooking I think a gently simmer/boil is best. I've read about glucomannan in a book and it says it's starts breaking down at high temps for long periods. I figured that's why it doesn't work well for thickening things in a crockpot if you add it in the beginning but works fine if you add it at the end, also why Buttoni's dumplings work at a low simmer.

Last edited by PaminKY; 01-23-2014 at 06:46 AM..
Old 01-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And I like Soobee's tip of letting it dry for a couple of hours.
That would certainly firm it up.
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote