Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #601
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I have not made this in a while,, I think I might just do it this weekend.. yum
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #602
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
It has the texture of play-doh in your hands so I think it could be done. Cool picture!

For the record... my husband (the pickier of the two of us) stated a couple days ago that none of my modified recipes have been as good as the very first time I made this pasta. Guess I'm going back to the original recipe. I might try adding gluten... LC Foods also makes a pasta flour. I might try some of that in it.

Last edited by JHoberer; 05-28-2014 at 12:30 PM..
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #603
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/126/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
It has the texture of play-doh in your hands so I think it could be done. Cool picture!

For the record... my husband (the pickier of the two of us) stated a couple days ago that none of my modified recipes have been as good as the very first time I made this pasta. Guess I'm going back to the original recipe. I might try adding gluten... LC Foods also makes a pasta flour. I might try some of that in it.
I assume you're talking about the recipe from post #1? That's the recipe I always use. I get overwhelmed by all the options and just end up going back to the tried and true.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #604
Senior LCF Member

Yup, post #1.

But I'm a tinkerer...
Old 05-29-2014, 07:04 PM   #605
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Well, I've got a counter full of what may be a culinary disaster. and I think it's because I accidentally used Charski's tweak instead of Carolina's Tweak not realizing that Charski uses and extruder and I needed the tweak for using a hand roller.

My dough would not hold together well enough to run through the rollers, it would shear it off and pull holes in it. There was no way I could run this through my linguini cutters in the state it is but I wasn't prepared to make lasagna. So I let it sit there for another 15 minutes after flattening out the sheets, while I fished around for some beef to make lasagna, and realized that at least one sheet was solid enough to roll so I rolled it through the fetuccini roller.

It pressed it but did not cut it, so I had to pull each strand apart! I carefully pulled apart each and every strand of linguini. Maybe I could have cut it a bit thicker it might have cut it.

So I cooked that in some pasta sauce with the chopped sausage I had and when ran the other broken pieces through, they came together a little better, but there is a window between it coming together a bit drier and not coming together at all too dry. I think it lost tensile strength cause it was not "twirlable" . I'm not a big twirler, but it would break if I turned the fork 1/4 turn. The texture was al dente fine and the mouthfeel was solid like real pasta but a bit broken,like overcooked pasta though I only nuked it 2.5 min.

since it was coming together a little better but was getting dryer, I put the last scraps through very thinly and made ravioli sheets that I filled with cream cheese and blue cheese. Those are in the fridge to try tomorrow.

I'm impressed with what it came out like despite my choosing the wrong tweak, but I have to say personally that since pasta is not one of my big vices, and I can go without it a long time and when I have it, I'd like it to be a bit more "real" and granted, this is as real as it gets, I think for all the trouble, I'll probably take the carb hit for a serving of regular pasta on special occassions.

For me, making homemade pasta is part of the fun and this was not very fun to make for what I ended up with.

When I make pasta with my friends, we make a bunch of stupid mistakes and errors, but in the end, it's very forgiving and we can have a real pasta meal at the end. I can accept a difficult process if it's a great end product or an easy process for a mediocre product, but not a difficult process for a mediocre product.

This might be totally worth it for ravioli, if the texture turns out the same, but I guess I'm just a noodle snob.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:51 AM   #606

Day 2 - This made a Very Tasty Ravioli!
Old 06-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #607
Senior LCF Member

The NorPro extruder revolutionized this pasta recipe if you ask me... the KA attachment was too much work except for special occasions. The little NorPro works like a charm and is a cinch to clean. But I still always make enough for 3 meals at a time. The noodles keep super well in the fridge for at least a week, even then not sticking together.

Pulling apart noodles... um, no thanks! Glad you got a couple of tasty meals though!
Old 06-02-2014, 06:03 PM   #608

Yeah, If I bother to make this again ( which won't be soon, it uses too much glucomannon and I'm low) I'll probably just make it ravioli style. I can use only a wee bit of glucomannon and make shrirataki noodles and I don't miss pasta noodles as much as I miss ramen, LOL
Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 AM   #609
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/126/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
The NorPro extruder revolutionized this pasta recipe if you ask me... the KA attachment was too much work except for special occasions. The little NorPro works like a charm and is a cinch to clean. But I still always make enough for 3 meals at a time. The noodles keep super well in the fridge for at least a week, even then not sticking together.
Hmmm. I have the old-style Kitchen Aid pasta attachment (it can also be used as a meat grinder). I have been thinking about upgrading to the much more expensive pasta attachment that they sell now (I think this is what you have). I don't really find it a bother to clean the old-style attachment. Could you go into a little more detail about what you don't like about the newer KA pasta attachment?

What I don't like about my current KA attachment is that it does a poor job on any shape except spaghetti. I thought the newer attachment would do a better job with more shapes.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #610
Senior LCF Member

It's easier to have the dough bog down the works in the KA and clean up takes twice as long. That's it. In the end, both work. I made awesome macaroni with the KA. No issues at all.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:47 AM   #611

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I do need to start making this again.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #612
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:

Pulling apart noodles... um, no thanks! Glad you got a couple of tasty meals though!
Funny, my NorPro is now at my vacation cabin, because I find that the noodle stick together as they come out of the machine. Is my dough too soft? It works ok for the tubular pastas, but for fetuccini and spaghetti, they always stick for me. I'm not fond of the KA attachment for spaghetti (too thin), but I can get that one to work and not stick. And the cutter on the KA is nice. As for cleaning, I find if you let the dough dry out in the shaping plate for an hour or two, it is easier to clean.

Has anyone tried adding protein powder to the dough to give it more structure? Maybe a bit less gluc?
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:22 AM   #613
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Felina
Stats: 250/125/120
WOE: Atkins! HCG
Start Date: 7/3/11 Atkins, 12/11/11 hhcg, rxhcg
I have been making it with my very old Simac pasta maker it comes out just wonderful!

I had retired my machine since going low carb. I tried selling it at a garage sale once but it didn't sell so I kept it on one of the top cabinet shelves in my kitchen with all of the other unused things that you never have to get to. I took it out a few months ago to try using this recipe in it and now I'm so glad that I still have this machine.

I have lots of attachments to experiment with, but so far have only made spaghetti and fetuccini.
Felina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #614
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I am one of the one's that hates the slim factor of these noodles, nuking it for 1 minute helps that and makes it firm like noodles. Now it just needs some flavor, because it has none, so I'm thinking maybe adding some chicken flavor or adding some spices? to it. I make the small batch last 4 meals for me.

Recipe I use:

WET
1 X large egg
1/2 T oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water
Mix all the above together with a whisk.

DRY
2 teaspoons coconut flour
3 Tablespoons gluc
3 Tablespoons oat fiber
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Whisk all dry flours then add the wet mix all at once, stir very fast and get that whisk out of the bowl before it sets up and it sets quick. Let sit for 8 minutes.

I made spaghetti, may try the other noodle types someday.

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:48 AM   #615
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
I am one of the one's that hates the slim factor of these noodles, nuking it for 1 minute helps that and makes it firm like noodles. Now it just needs some flavor, because it has none, so I'm thinking maybe adding some chicken flavor or adding some spices? to it. I make the small batch last 4 meals for me.

Recipe I use:

WET
1 X large egg
1/2 T oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water
Mix all the above together with a whisk.

DRY
2 teaspoons coconut flour
3 Tablespoons gluc
3 Tablespoons oat fiber
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Whisk all dry flours then add the wet mix all at once, stir very fast and get that whisk out of the bowl before it sets up and it sets quick. Let sit for 8 minutes.

I made spaghetti, may try the other noodle types someday.

Debbie
Do you find the 3 tbsp. ok for not having the slime factor? when you nuke them, do they get really chewy like regular shirataki noodles- I can't tolerate those...also at what power do you nuke them? full power?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #616
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
I love this recipe. I'm almost eating some every day. I feel like it keeps me full and is helping me lose. It's so versatile. I did it with butter, cream, parm one day, homemade pesto the next, and put some sf strawberry jam and whipped cream on it the next. Geese. What's not to like. I'm so grateful to Jen for her happy mistake. Thank you.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote