Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 05:02 AM   #451
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Yummo
That tweak sounds good. I'm gonna try it.

Could you be more specific on the fruit dumplings recipe? I have been thinking about making noodle kugel with fruit. I had that a long time ago and remember how delicious it was. I never made it, however, nor do I have a recipe.

Thanks.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #452
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sjanette
WOE: Low Carb/Keto, minimum on gluten and sugarfree
Start Date: August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummmo View Post
New secret ingredient for yummy tender noodles.

I just finished a trial run on my 8th Norpro batch following the original recipe with tweaks. I always liked it, but I thought it needed that something extra. Well, in my HC bread baking days, I remember the most tender loaves of bread had some kind of milk in them.

Yes!! I did 2 small batch experiments using heavy cream. The result is just wonderful----no slime, tender, tasty, pliable, no sticking, almost like egg noodles, able to hold a 3 1/2 minute boil, and ready to eat RIGHT out of the machine without my normal 1-2 fridge day wait. The dough came out soft, not rubbery and hard like the play doh ball of the original. (Thanks for that recipe by the way). This reminded me of-----mashed potato dough. What my mom used for her pierogies. Tweak #1 had 1/4 cup cream and Tweak #2 had only 1/8 cup.

Here's a 1/2 recipe of #1 Tweak:

WET
1 regular egg
1/2 T oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water
Mix all the above together with a whisk.

DRY
2 teaspoons coconut flour
3 Tablespoons gluc
3 Tablespoons oat fiber
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
Whisk dry into the wet. The dough will be soft and pliable. Cover and let sit for 8 minutes.

I made linguini, spaghetti, and ravioli dough (rolled super thin) I didn't try macaroni to see if this held a hole. I also didn't use 2 yolks to try egg noodles, although the texture is pretty close. There wasn't a lot of difference between tweak #1 or #2.

This is very tasty--one that I will use for now. May I suggest those of you who have been disappointed, try a 1/4 if this recipe to see if this is good for you.
Must try!!! Thanks!
Sjanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #453
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummmo View Post
New secret ingredient for yummy tender noodles.

May I suggest those of you who have been disappointed, try a 1/4 if this recipe to see if this is good for you.
I will give this another chance and try a 1/4 recipe. I don't see how it could get rid of slime with that much Gluc, but I'll try it to see. Thanks for working in this recipe. If it is still slimey , do you want to know I'll report back.

I can eat the recipe with 4 gluc and 4 oat fiber,hubby however will not, I want him to like this pasta too, so fingers crossed no SLIME!!!!!!

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #454
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Tater! I want to know! (And also how many portions the recipe makes so I'll know how much to eat!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:26 PM   #455
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Going to try this new version, too..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:01 PM   #456
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh man I messed up. I had enough to do 1/4 of the recipe and everything was going along fine until the water part. I used the full 1/2 cup, so mad at myself. Now I have to wait and order more oat fiber and gluco.

Debbie...
Old 02-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #457
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Happy Accident

I wanted to report a happy accident. Because I messed up the noodle dish that yummo came up with by adding too much water, it can't go thru the pasta maker. I didn't want to trash it, so I roll it out thin between plastic wrap and froze it, not too frozen. I then used a pizza cutter to make wide strips. I pan fried the strips in some oil until golden brown on each side. I added some butter and s/p at the end. OMG these taste like the crust of a grilled cheese sandwich. I don't know if using the dough as written would do the same, so add that extra water like I did. Hubby liked them, said these make a nice snack.

Debbie...
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #458
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yummmo
HEAVY CREAM IN NOODLES TWEAK
I'm glad some of you are going to try this. I had it with just parsley and butter today--still nice and soft. They didn't stick in the container either after sitting for 24 hours in the fridge with no extra oil used. It was hard to tell it from the real thing. At least for me.

SLIME ISSUE
I'm not sure what is meant by slime and when does it occur in the whole process? I haven't found any of the recipes slimy except when they were over boiled and not drained well. Then they were a wet mess. Is that what you mean? Or are they slimy after extruding? Please describe what you mean.

The cream and extra coconut flour made these so pliable in the mixing bowl which was the biggest difference I immediately saw. I only boil them to cook the bit of egg in them, otherwise I just put hot sauce on them. They remain dry and not drippy/slimy. I over boiled them in my experiments to see how well they stood up.

YES, please let me know your results. If this still is not satisfactory, I will keep working on it.

FORGOT CREAM IN RECIPE
Your noodles where you only used a 1/2 cup water and no cream will still turn out ok---this is just one of 2 tweaks I made to the original recipe. The other was to use extra coconut flour. I have yet to try lasagna, that's next.

SERVINGS---For me, this 1/2 recipe makes about 3 nice side dish servings.

FRUIT VARIATIONS
If you've never had a fruit dumpling, please try one. I roll out the dough very thin between 2 parchment papers, lay a small, fresh chunk of fruit in the center with a bit of sweetener on top, take finger and wet along the edge of the dough around the fruit and pinch closed. Boil for about 3 minutes to cook the fruit. Plop some sour cream or yogurt on top!

The best fruit for this is plum, cherries, peach. When in a pinch, strawberry, cherry, berry jam works nicely, too. In my mom's HC version, she used to put a whole plum inside and boil it for 5-6 minutes to cook the fruit and then fry them in a skillet with buttered bread crumbs after boiling. I really used to miss those.

I also think that fruit kugle (fruit/noodle bake) is next on things to try. The least work with almost the same taste as a fruit dumplings is the boiled fruit compote on cooked noodles, with sweetener and sour cream.

FUTURE TWEAKS
---do more yolks make a better egg noodle?
---if the slime issue is still a problem, I'll keep mixing and matching--but I need to know how it is being determined since I'm not sure what it is.

I plan to make this recipe work. I'm not a food chemist or even a decent cook. I am amazed at the originator of this recipe and the other wonderful cooks whose recipes on this site I have enjoyed. I owe something back.
I am stubborn and very determined to keep the 100+ pounds off that I lost while enjoying my food, so I'll keep trying.
yummmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #459
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Yum, the "slime" is really more of what I call a "slippery" mouthfeel that comes with too much of any of the gum products, like guar or xanthan - or glucomannan! Some people (me!) are very susceptible to it, some not so much or not at all. It's kinda like yogurt or avocado - it's a texture thing. I can't deal with regular yogurt, that "slippery"mouthfeel just gags me after about 2 bites. I DO like Greek yogurt though, which isn't so slick-feeling.

So that, I think, is what people mean by "slime" factor. It's not that the noodle exudes slime - it just has an objectionable mouthfeel to a lot of us.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #460
the condiment queen

yummmo! Thanks for your feedback and notes!

I 'get' the slime feeling Char and Tater (and others describe). It gets to Denny, too. But I rather like it, having grown up in the South with okra. It's exactly as Char describes. It coats your mouth with a slickness. you can also feel it in with your fingers--it's a "slickness" more than a gloopy slime. I see this in Peggy's dumplings, especially if they get over-cooked. But as I said, I'm one of the fortunate who can tolerate that and actually like it because it feels unctuous...if that makes sense?

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
Old 02-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #461
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Okay, finally worked up the nerve to try it. I used yummo's cream recipe. I used more salt than her recipe called for because it got accidentally dropped in. I have to say, I was soooo nervous trying it because it seemed so complicated.

But you wonderful and generous souls sharing your experiences and trials and errors made me realize that, adding all the wet ingredients was the most important thing. So, thank you!!

I used the Norpro pasta maker and used the linguine extrusion tool. They came out much larger, like almost egg noodles.

I did not boil them, I put them in a pan with raw seafood to cook at the same time, with butter and garlic. I mixed them around and actually tried one of the noodles raw.

Ugh! Raw!, it clung like an unripe persimmon; coating the roof of my mouth.

But then I tried it cooked. WONDERFUL!!!! Just like the real thing.

Now, I had to stir them still raw to cook the shrimp and scallops and calamari, so they broke up. They were a little soft, almost like a spaetzel. But, I honestly expected to make every mistake in the book before I got it right. They taste just like regular wheat noodles, so this is a keeper!

I didn't realize there would be so much waste. Tonight I threw it out because I'm so tired, but I will freeze the leftovers until I have enough for, say, a lasagna.

One of the things I want to try is to coat them, after boiling them, with toasted sesame oil and eat them cold.

And only think of the possibilities in warmer weather; having pasta and not having to heat up the house to boil them, just nuke and eat!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:52 AM   #462
the condiment queen

I tried these last night. I made yummmo's version. I don't have an extractor so I rolled it very thin. Partially froze it, then cuz with a pizza cutter into pappardelle shape.I then boiled for 3 minutes, drained and tossed with butter, cream and parmesan.

I loved it. Denny thought it had a slightly slimy feeling. The first portion I rolled out worked better, but the others were very difficult to roll. I think it may need a bit more water if rolling by hand.

Thanks to all of you for a great recipe!!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #463
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
My latest and favorite recipe so far-no baking powder. I make ready to use noodles. I don't parboil them. I did not detect any slime, but I'm not good at spotting it in the first place.
Pasta
1 beaten egg
1 Tbs coconut flour
1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbs oat fiber
5 Tbs glucomannan
2 cups water
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:26 PM   #464
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Tater- Sometimes accidents are the best!

I can't wait to try a bit of cream now!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #465
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
My latest and favorite recipe so far-no baking powder. I make ready to use noodles. I don't parboil them. I did not detect any slime, but I'm not good at spotting it in the first place.
Pasta
1 beaten egg
1 Tbs coconut flour
1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbs oat fiber
5 Tbs glucomannan
2 cups water
Soobee-- why did you skip the baking powder?
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #466
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought the baking powder was there to make it swell when you boil it. And since I am not boiling it, it seemed a good way to save 5 carbs.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #467
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Makes sense to me if you aren't going to boil them. I think I have to cook them though.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #468
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yummmo
Fried dough
I wanted to see if I could make an egg roll. I mixed some cream cheese, scallions, garlic, pepper, and sprouts. I rolled the dough very thin and rolled it up egg roll style. I fried it in hot oil for 1 minute on each side. It as ok, but it had too much dough.

So, I put the same mixture in a super thin dough in a ravioli style and fried that for 45 seconds on each side. What a nice treat. The dough tasted like mashed potatoes! I would probably not put any baking powder in if frying. The dough did puff a little.

It's an experiment that I will try again with other fillings. You can eat it in hand and might be good for dipping into something.
yummmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #469
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
What a good idea.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:34 PM   #470
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
[QUOTE=Redeemed;16801143]Okay....this came out much more to my liking. A nice light yellow color and much less slime factor (almost non detectable) and more flavor. I put butter, pepper, garlic and Parmesan cheese on mine before eating.

1 egg and 2 egg yolks
1 T olive oil
3 T gluc
5 T oat fiber
1 T Lupin flour
1 cup water
1 tsp salt

Mix egg oil and water
Mix other ingredients and add the salt, egg, oil and water all at once.
Let dough sit 10 minutes and process through pasta machine.

I tried this, except I used 2 whole eggs instead of one and 2 yolks. The first half I let sit 10 minutes, then processed through a Norpro, tossed into hot sauce maybe an hour later, and ate. It was ok, but the noodles broke up quite a bit when stirred with the sauce, and there was a bit of the slime factor.

The rest of the dough I put into a baggie in the fridge for a few days, and processed it tonight. Sauce this time was shrimp with a curried pumpkin/cream sauce. Again, I made the sauce, and at the last minute added the pasta (linguini this time), just so it heated through. Much better! The pasta was still a bit more tender than regular pasta, but virtually no slime factor at all. Not sure whether the cream in the sauce had anything to do with it, or if it was letting the dough sit for a few days. Also wondering whether adding some other protein to the mix might help make the dough stronger and give it more resistance when you bite into it (pea protein comes to mind)?

Also want to try the cream version.

Last edited by Jakelilydad; 02-26-2014 at 08:35 PM..
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #471
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Gnocchi!

I have a Norpro pasta hand crank machine. I took the excess dough (when there’s not enough to crank through the machine), rolled it out into about a ˝” diameter rope, and cut into little gnocchi shapes. I didn’t parboil the gnocchi, just placed in a microwave bowl, topped with some LC marinara and crumbled gorgonzola cheese, and microwaved it for about 2 minutes. It was wonderful – just like my favorite pre-LC dish at a local Italian restaurant. I was doing a happy dance!

I guess I’m not sensitive to the slime factor. This recipe is awesome! I really missed pasta. I can’t wait to play around with the recipe more after tax season.

BTW, I used the variation of the recipe in post #342, but only about 1-1/4 cups water.
KCSoccer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #472
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Best one yet

Hi All,

I wanted to report back on Yummmo's version of this recipe. It is so far the one with the least slime factor. It still has it, but no where near as bad. I boiled the noodles and will not do that again, they are too tender and broke into pieces, so just add in hot sauces and you'll be fine.

I will tweak this one just a little by bumping up the coconut flour by 1/8-1/4 tsp and adding some semolina flour and maybe doing 50/50 with the water and cream. These noodles were much drier to the touch, like a real fresh noodles feels. Some of the others were too sticky.

Thanks Yummmo and all the others who have worked so hard to give us noodles. Debbie......

Yummmo's recipe, so you don't have to go find it:

WET
1 regular egg
1/2 T oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup water
Mix all the above together with a whisk.

DRY
2 teaspoons coconut flour
3 Tablespoons gluc
3 Tablespoons oat fiber
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt

Whisk all dry flours then add the wet mix all at once, stir very fast and get that whisk out of the bowl before it sets up and it sets quick. Let sit for 8 minutes.

I made spaghetti, may try the other noodle types some day.

Debbie
Old 03-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #473
Gadget Gal

Thanks, Debbie - I'll try that too!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #474
the condiment queen

Oh wow to all of you! I made my frist version of yummo's last week.It was a bit slimy as reported but still seriously good. I still don't have an extruder, but am going to make them by hand again tonight. We are gong to have a chicken casserole with homemade noodles! Can't wait for the creamy gooey nonesense of it all!

I'm going to use your latest tweak Debbie! I echo you and Char in giving my thanks to all the awesome chefs here for working out these great recipes and tweaks!!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #475
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, I haven't seen this addressed in this thread, so maybe I'm missing something. I made the cream style the first time and the tweaked original with the 5T oat fiber and 3T glucomannan. Both came out of the extruder just fine. I sprayed olive oil on the noodles as they were coming out and this time, I boiled them for three minutes.

My question is this; is there something I can add or change to get that al dente texture? Also, I noticed my noodles break apart and have no tensile strength at all. I'm thinking of using the rest of my recipe for gnocci.

I'm using Bob's Mill coconut flour, and the oat fiber and glucomannan from Netrition.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:01 PM   #476
Gadget Gal

Don't boil them. I have taken to just putting mine on a dinner plate, cover with Stretch-tite, and nuke about 30 seconds, if I'm going to be using something like pesto on them. Just get them hot, that's all they need.

If you're using a hot sauce, like marinara, you don't even need to do THAT. Just put them in the hot sauce and Bob's your uncle!
Old 03-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #477
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Don't boil them. I have taken to just putting mine on a dinner plate, cover with Stretch-tite, and nuke about 30 seconds, if I'm going to be using something like pesto on them. Just get them hot, that's all they need.

If you're using a hot sauce, like marinara, you don't even need to do THAT. Just put them in the hot sauce and Bob's your uncle!
So, if I make spaghetti, if I just nuke it a little, it won't break up? I can twirl it around a fork? I tried it when it was raw and it broke up.

See, tonight I was STARVING and wanted to eat and when I'm this hungry, it's to the tune of at least 700 calories. Well, this stuff is great with no caloric impact. I think. I was stuffed.

It's going to be my magic bullet to keep me eating lower calories while I'm trying to lose weight.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #478
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: lindaokc
Stats: 196/170/140?
WOE: atkins/hcg/learning
Start Date: Feb, 07
Does anybody have gastric distress with these noodles? I finally got my Norpro and made the noodles, have enjoyed them but each time I make them I blow up in an hour or so and it's so uncomfortable. I just wondered if it was something that only I had issues with?
lindaokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:31 AM   #479
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

lindaokc, it sounds like it could be the fiber. Try smaller portions until you get used to it.
Terez, my spaghetti stays together. Which recipe are you using?
Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 AM   #480
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Lindaokc- I have to watch how much I eat or I do have some distress in the middle of the night. That said I love them and will continue to try different tweaks to make it work. Doesn't bother my husband at all.

Last night I made lasagna with them using two different versions. I made some fresh noodles using the Norpro and the part water/part cream method. I layered the bottom two sections with the noodles made with the largest attachment on the Norpro. For the top layer I took out two hand rolled leftover pieces from the freezer. I made sure everything was covered well with my homemade sauce. It was delicious and guilt free. I also made garlic bread with bread from the low carb bread company. Yum!

I found that the hand rolled noodle on top was not as good (too thick-my fault) as the ones made with the Norpro. The Norpro sure is easier to clean than the ka attachment too.