Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #331
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
What is the dough supposed to look like after mixing? I mixed up all the ingredients by hand and ended up with 3 crumbly balls that would not unify. It took a lot of work to get it to extrude. I used the original recipe so not sure what went wrong. I only pushed 1 of the balls through. The other 2 are sitting in the fridge. Too tired to get those to extrude. I took the spaghetti I made to work. I nuked them in a cup of water for 2 mins and they almost disintegrated in the water. Sigh.
Not sure where I went wrong.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #332
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_last View Post
Is it different from this one, Charski? This is the one I was planning on trying. I tend to be a "taste" type of cook, since I've been doing it for so many years.
Oh, sorry At Last - I was referring to the cheese sauce for mac 'n cheese - is that what you're asking about?
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:06 AM   #333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
tulipsandroses, I use 1 3/4 cups water in my recipe. I don't know if that would help it extrude. Some people have added 1 Tbs of oil. I found that you have to add the water all at once. One time I tried adding water after the initial amount, and the dough crumbled. I was able to feed it through the presser nonetheless (KA attachment). I have made approximately 12 batches so far! Not a day goes by that I don't have some kind of pasta. I am really loving it. Most of the time I don't bother to boil it. Just cover it with sauce or chili and nuke.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 AM   #334
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
TulipsandRoses, mine looks and feels like Play-Doh after sitting about 8 minutes.
I also mix by hand - the advice to add the water all at once is good advice.
I am one of those who adds 1 Tbsp. of oil to the original recipe.
After extruding (mine is easy to extrude in the Norpro) it goes in the refrigerator and waits for me patiently.
Like Soobee, I don't cook it separately.
I let whichever hot sauce is going over the noodles cook the noodles.

I am also interested in a previous question, though - has anyone tried adding an extra egg for more of an egg noodle taste?
Old 02-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #335
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/165.3/135
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 2012/May 2014
Great find on ebay for $17 all stainless does three types of spaghetti noodles , macaroni and flat noodles! Manual like norpro but easy to use!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140208_121153.jpg (50.0 KB, 52 views)
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I'm in. I can't find some of the pieces to my old meat grinder, so I got the Norpro on Amazon and ordered the glucomannan and oat fiber from Netrition, plus a ravioli press.

I'm totally excited about this! Firstly because I can have pasta again. Yeah, I love Dreamfields, but I can't trust that I won't overcook it.

Mostly because it looks like the magic bullet I need to help me lose the rest of my weight; all fiber, "no caloric effect", and feeling full. It would almost be like a fat fast, without being hungry. Yaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #337
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Not sure who you are asking? But, I don't need measurements, just ingredients and approx. measurements if you are talking about cheese sauce.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #338
Gadget Gal

LOL, OK, well I'm gonna post my "approximations" of cheese sauce and then y'all are on your own!

Cook your pasta however you're gonna cook it. I usually cook half a box of Dreamfields elbows for mac 'n cheese so this recipe is for that amount of pasta. Put cooked pasta in colander to drain. Using the same pot, put it back on the burner and let the liquid dry off. Have ready plenty of shredded cheese - I like a blend, like Tillamook sharp cheddar, a little Parm, some Jack or whatever you like. I've also used the Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend in this and it is great.

Now to the pan, add about 1/2 stick of butter (1/4 cup or 4 tablespoons) and let that melt on a low heat. Add a good pinch each of garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme (not much!), and dry mustard powder. Stir to blend. Add about a tablespoon each of dry white wine (I've also used beer or sake) and Worcestershire sauce, and a dash of Tabasco, and stir to blend well.

Add maybe a cup and a half or so of half & half or heavy cream. If you want to reduce cals a bit, add half of that in chicken stock and then other half cream or half & half. Bring to a gentle simmer. Grind in some black pepper.

Turn off the heat and start adding in the shredded cheese, about a handful at a time, whisking as you add it. Don't try to add too fast or it just makes a glob on the bottom of the pan. Keep adding the cheese til the sauce thickens up a bit. If it's not melting fast enough, turn the heat back on VERY low for a minute or so then turn it off again.

Once you've incorporated the amount of cheese that makes you happy, add the drained pasta back into the pan and stir well to coat with the sauce.

We like it just like this, although occasionally I'll then dump it into a casserole, top with crushed pork rinds and Parm cheese mixed about half and half, and stick it into a 400* oven til the top is crispy and the mac 'n cheese is bubbling a bit.

I've also added sour cream, Greek yogurt, or cream cheese if I've had some in the fridge that needed using up. Sour cream or cream cheese can be added before the shredded cheese - just warm it up gently til you get bubbles just breaking around the edges or your cheese won't melt. If you're using Greek yogurt, don't stir that in til after all your cheeses or you'll "break" it and it will curdle with too much heat/stirring.

Another good addition, which I make at the end, is bacon bits. Or minced leftover ham. Or whatever else you like!

Adjust seasonings to your own taste.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters

Last edited by Charski; 02-09-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Old 02-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #339
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I have a ravioli press. I wonder? Another possibility.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #340
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Thanks Charski.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #341
Gadget Gal

I made "macaroni" today - it's in the fridge now. We'll see how it cooks up tomorrow!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:13 AM   #342
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Everything went smooth as far as my making the dough and processing it trough my Norpo. After the dough sat overnight in the fridge, I boiled water, turned off the heat and put the spaghetti in the water for 1 & l/2 minutes. The look and texture was exactly like spaghetti. However, when I ate it, I still got a hint of the slime factor on the roof of my mouth. Here's the recipe I used (tweaked Carolyn's). Any suggestions on how I can get rid of the slime factor. It's very mild but enough to keep me from making it again.

1 lg egg
1 Tbs. oil
4 T glucomannan powder
4 T oat fiber
1 l/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 t kosher salt
1 t coconut flour
1 & l/2 cups water

ETA: My non low carb husband said he could not tell the difference, and that it tasted just like regular spaghetti.

Last edited by Redeemed; 02-10-2014 at 09:19 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #343
Gadget Gal

Try backing off the gluc - I've been using 3 T. gluc and 5 of the oat fiber. It really is an improvement to the mouthfeel, for me.

I'm going to try replacing the 1 tsp. of coconut flour with 1 T. semolina flour and see how that works too. It will likely be a few more carbs but not bad - 1 T. = 7.2 net carbs so split amongst 4 servings it's negligible.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #344
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Try backing off the gluc - I've been using 3 T. gluc and 5 of the oat fiber. It really is an improvement to the mouthfeel, for me.

I'm going to try replacing the 1 tsp. of coconut flour with 1 T. semolina flour and see how that works too. It will likely be a few more carbs but not bad - 1 T. = 7.2 net carbs so split amongst 4 servings it's negligible.

Thanks, Charski. I'll try backing off the gluc and adding more oat fiber. I don't have semolina, but might try a tsp of lupin flour I have on hand.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #345
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: JMCM1
WOE: EFGT wheat free (grain free)
Start Date: June 2012
Redeemed, I have a great deal of Lupin flour and I'm interested to know how your experiment goes!
JMCM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #346
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
What is the dough supposed to look like after mixing? I mixed up all the ingredients by hand and ended up with 3 crumbly balls that would not unify. It took a lot of work to get it to extrude. I used the original recipe so not sure what went wrong. I only pushed 1 of the balls through. The other 2 are sitting in the fridge. Too tired to get those to extrude. I took the spaghetti I made to work. I nuked them in a cup of water for 2 mins and they almost disintegrated in the water. Sigh.
Not sure where I went wrong.

This kind of sounds like what happened to me when I used 2 tablespoons of coconut flour instead of the 2 teaspoons the recipe calls for.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #347
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCM1 View Post
Redeemed, I have a great deal of Lupin flour and I'm interested to know how your experiment goes!
Okay, I'll let you know. It will be a couple of days before I experiment.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #348
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
and can we nail down the cooking time? I think I overcooked mine. they didn't fall apart, but were kinda mushy tasting. It was about 3 minutes in boiling water.

I think someone said they did just hot water over it, or nuke it within the final sauce?
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #349
Gadget Gal

I think the cooking time depends on what size noodle you're making. What I've found works best for me, is to put the whole pile of noodles into a big dish, cover with StretchTite, and nuke on High for 1.5 to 2 minutes, depending on whether it's spaghetti or linguine, and then let it sit for a minute or three, then refrigerate. At that point it's ready for whatever sauce you want with it, just heat the sauce, pour over the noodles, and you're good to go!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #350
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I just had the noodles with some marinara and sausage. I did not precook the noodles. I just put in a bowl with the sausage, topped with 1/2 cup marinara and nuked. Awesome. No slimed mouth feel to me at all. I used the original recipe but increased water to two cups.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #351
Gadget Gal

I had them in my Buta Kimchi (Korean pork and kimchee) tonight and did notice the slippery very slightly, not enough to keep me from finishing off my plate though!

I think some of us are just way more susceptible to textures of food than others. A lot of things that bother others do not bother me, like avocados or bananas, but I cannot abide that slippery mouthfeel, like fat-free yogurt [shudder] or the innards of storebought "no taste" tomatoes and too much glucomannan or the other fiber/gums.

A little more tweaking and I think I'll have this down to where I can enjoy it with most stuff!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #352
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Does anybody else make the dough like me... by mixing the egg in the mixer, adding in all the dry ingredients so it goes back to a fine powder then adding the water all at once and mixing just until it resembles play-doh? I've never had it fail or become crumbly... and do watch out for the coconut flour (teaspoons!).

I am going to try the recipe as stated in post #1 but omit 1 T glucomannan next. I'm still eating the last batch though...
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:14 AM   #353
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHoberer View Post
Does anybody else make the dough like me... by mixing the egg in the mixer, adding in all the dry ingredients so it goes back to a fine powder then adding the water all at once and mixing just until it resembles play-doh? I've never had it fail or become crumbly... and do watch out for the coconut flour (teaspoons!).

I am going to try the recipe as stated in post #1 but omit 1 T glucomannan next. I'm still eating the last batch though...
I mix it just like you do. Works every time. I don't notice the slippery/slimy feel others are commenting on.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #354
Senior LCF Member

I'm going to try this today. I don't know why I am so apprehensive about it going wrong. So will give it a try.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #355
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sjanette
WOE: Low Carb/Keto, minimum on gluten and sugarfree
Start Date: August 2013
Quote:

Yes I do, but I add a tbsp of oil. And last time I made it with 4 tbsp glu, 4 tbsp of oat fiber and 1 C water. This batch was to dry. So next time I'll try 3 tbsp glu, 5 tbsp oat and 1,5C of water
Sjanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #356
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:

I've made it twice using this method. No problems.

I feel fortunate that I haven't detected any sort of slimy feel. I love this stuff.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #357
Senior LCF Member

I just made the noodles. Well that was easy. They turned out awesome. Well I haven't cooked them they are resting in the fridge. But they mixed up great and rolled out of my norpro. Just like play doh.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #358
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
It is easy, isn't it? Makes a lot too!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #359
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Quote:

I would, but I don't have a mixer, just the food processor.

I'll try the advice of less gluc and more oat fiber, and of pouring boiling water over it for a couple minutes for "cooking".

I do think working on this recipe is worth the effort!

oh-- and I have a ravioli press/tray also-- would LOVE to make a ravioli dough with this!
S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #360
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Still waiting for my Norpro to arrive from the US - the ETA is from 17th Feb onwards
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote