Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #301
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
This recipe is worth working hard for.

I have a concept which I shall be trying out before I put the
machine back.
Can't wait to hear what you do with this, girlfriend!

Brenda, that's a great endorsement. I love stroganoff.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #302
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
The possibilities are endless.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #303
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I think I'm just overly conscious of the "slippery" mouthfeel of things made with a lot of the fibers - gluc, guar, xanthan, any of them. A little too much of it and that texture just makes me Probably also why I don't care much for store-bought tomatoes and most kinds of yogurt!

But...the ability to have a truly LC pasta is just too appealing to let go of it easily!
I have the same sensitivity to the "slippery" (slimy?) mouthfeel of the fibers, which is why I think I prefer, so far, this pasta in some sort of casserole type dish, where the extra fiber goes into the surrounding sauce. I've been using the macaroni shape most for that - tonight I had macaroni as a base for a veal stew, which was pretty good once everything was mixed together. I find the KA attachment spaghetti to be a bit too fine (baby angel hair?)... Definitely just mix it with your hot sauce, and eat right away - no boiling at all. Some fresh grated parmesan helps, too.

That lasagna looks like it should be illegal!

Last edited by Jakelilydad; 02-05-2014 at 08:57 PM..
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #304
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
The last few times I made this I changed the recipe to 4 tbs of gluc and oat fiber, 1 egg with 1 tbs oil, pinch of salt , 1 tsp of coconut flour , and 1 cup of water. I thought the texture was perfect. The noodles just need to be heated up to be warm and cook the egg a bit. They are a good texture even when raw.

Nice to see Char and Barbo playing, too.
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:04 AM   #305
Gadget Gal

Oh, nice, Carolyn! I'll try that next! THANK YOU
Old 02-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #306

Char, let me know if that makes a difference.

The only problem I have with the pasta is a digestive issue. KWIM? I guess I should eat mine with a side order of Gas -X.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:15 AM   #307
Gadget Gal

Interestingly it didn't bother me that way, and some things DO. I half expected it would - but the one time I ate it, it was fine. We'll see what happens next time!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #308
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Deb34
Quote:
Originally Posted by yummmo View Post
Pierogies are possible.
I made my first batch of spaghetti noodles in my Norpro, cleaned up the kitchen, rolled out that little end piece of dough, put it in the freezer and turned off the lights. 20 minutes later, I ran back to the kitchen, slightly defrosted the frozen 11/2 by 5 inch piece paper thin dough, mixed up some cheddar, ricotta, and seasonings, then pressed a teaspoonful into a pierogie/ravioli shape--it made 2. I plopped them into boiling water for almost 2 minutes---then ate them. Yum. The dough is different in taste, but the filling stayed put, the dough didn't fall apart--yeah. Thank you all for the recipe and the tweeks found on here. There really is no reason now to go back to poison white flour again.
yummmo, could you please try to describe what the dough tastes like?
Deb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM   #309
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
The last few times I made this I changed the recipe to 4 tbs of gluc and oat fiber, 1 egg with 1 tbs oil, pinch of salt , 1 tsp of coconut flour , and 1 cup of water. I thought the texture was perfect. The noodles just need to be heated up to be warm and cook the egg a bit. They are a good texture even when raw.

Nice to see Char and Barbo playing, too.

How does reducing the gluc and the oat fiber change the texture? is it softer? does it have less of the slime factor. is it chewier? I'm very curious,,please tell!
Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #310
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
I am using the first recipe and I do not notice any "slime"..I think it really tastes good. I had it last night for dinner and I am having some gas today.. but I always have gas so I cant really say it is from that..
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:28 PM   #311
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: yummmo
pierogies/ravioli

I rolled the dough paper thin so I could almost see through it. A wet finger run along the edge of the dough held it together nicely. I ate it right after making it. It tasted good. However, letting the dough sit for 2-3 days, like everyone suggests here, it would probably have tasted better. After boiling for almost 2 minutes, it was done. I also tried to fry some noodles in butter in a skillet---they got tough. Also, I don't boil my spaghetti noodles. I just pour sauce over them and nuke the dish for 3 and a half minutes--perfect. I will try the pierogies again.
yummmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb34 View Post
How does reducing the gluc and the oat fiber change the texture? is it softer? does it have less of the slime factor. is it chewier? I'm very curious,,please tell!
The dough itself was not as rubbery. The pasta was very much al dente in the raw state. This is like a chemistry experiment. More egg and oil to the amount of the glu and oat fiber changes the texture.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #313
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
I'm so excited I can't read all the pages in the thread

I have both an atlas pasta roller, and a new pasta extruder (not the kitchenaid, but a regina hand crank model) and I tried it with regular non-LC dough ... and now I can have LC and low calorie pasta too?

squeeeeee!!!! can't wait to try this!
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:26 PM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
Jumping on the bandwagon. My Norpro should be here tomorrow. Picked up my favorite Bolognese sauce today from The Farmers Market. They make their own and it is sooo good! Gonna make some meatballs with hot italian sausage and ground beef. Hope this pasta experiment works. Will report my results tomorrow.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #315
Gadget Gal

OK, today's experiment!

I further tweaked Carolyn's last post, so I used 3 tablespoons glucomannan, 5 tablespoons oat fiber, 1 slightly heaped teaspoon coconut flour, pinch of garlic salt, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 cup water.

I also changed up the method slightly. I beat the egg and olive oil first in the bowl of my KA mixer - then I added the water and mixed well. Combined all the dry ingredients together, then added by heaping tablespoons to the wet and mixed til it all came together. Let stand 8 minutes, then ran it through the KA grinder attachment with the spaghetti plate. It extruded out beautifully I might add.

As it extruded out, I VERY lightly sprayed with extra-virgin olive oil, cut off at the lengths I wanted, and lightly tossed it all together a couple times during the extrusion. It's now in the fridge and I won't use it til tomorrow night - planning Skyline Chili with it!

I did break off a very small piece to taste and it seems less "slippery" to me than the linguine did. We shall see and I shall report back.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 02-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #316

Thanks, Char for experimenting. Let us know.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #317
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynF View Post
The dough itself was not as rubbery. The pasta was very much al dente in the raw state. This is like a chemistry experiment. More egg and oil to the amount of the glu and oat fiber changes the texture.
Thanks so much for this tweak, it sounds perfect as I cant tolerate 'rubberiness' in any food I eat.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I just found this thread. Wow! All the things I can have now. I've been sooooo craving lasagne and mac and cheese. I have an old Atlas hand crank pasta machine and an old fashioned metal meat grinder.

Since the carbs are almost nothing, I'll probably be losing weight faster when I'm eating my favorites.

I didn't notice if anyone friend their noodles rather than sitting in hot sauce or being boiled. I'd like to try that. Now, off to order glucomannon and oat fiber.

Thanks for posting your recipes. I'm going to try them all!
Old 02-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #319
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Ok, I tried this today!

I followed Judy's (JMCM1) recommendation of the OP plus 1T oil. I only have a food processor, not a KA, but that's what I usually use for my dough, so I put it all in... it came together... then fell apart

I added more and more water to try to get it together (maybe up to 1/3c more?) and it never did.

I only used 2tsp of coconut flour. Everything else as stated, but I forgot the salt entirely

So I let it for a few minutes. Then, I was able to clump it in my hand (feels like playdoh!).

I put it through my Regina extruder-- sometimes in small balls, sometimes pouring in the crumbles-- didn't seem to make a difference.

I had the fusilli die in-- that did NOT create fusilli. Wonder if the dough was too wet?
Anyway, it made these sort of 3 sided noodles (like, Y shaped), and I cut them into about 4 inch lengths.

I wasn't sure the best way to cook it, so I went with boiling water on the stove-- maybe 2-3 minutes total.

I made the entire batch-- I figure it's about 160cals for the whole thing, so 80 each for me and DH for this component.

I made DH's with some leftover pork roast and steak, and light alfredo sauce (he's allergic to tomatoes) and some mrs. dash garlic.
He ate EVERYTHING.

I ate maybe 1/4 of mine (noodles plus tomato sauce) and I'm full. ???

Definitely will make this again!

and I think I will also attempt rolling sheets in my atlas roller, for lasagna.

nice work folks!
S.

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #320
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipoo
Stats: 198/169/132
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Nov 2012/May 2014
I am hoping someone tries this recipe in a pasta roller to see how it works. I don't have the pasta roller attachment for my kitchenaid or I would try it myself.
shipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #321
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
I can't wait to get all of the ingredients and the Norpro to try this. Can someone please post your recipe for cheese sauce for macaroni and cheese?
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #322
Gadget Gal

OK, verdict - Skyline Chili, two huge from DH and me!

NOW - to be totally fair - there was about 2/3 chili to 1/3 pasta so it may not be the "true test" but I detected NO "slimy" or "slippery" or whatever you want to call that texture from too much gluc or gums. It was a delicious bed for my mostly-meat chili, topped with shredded Mexican blend cheese and some sliced green onions, and washed down with a homebrewed jalapeno pepper beer!

I still have some of the spaghetti pasta left so may try something a little more "pasta forward" in the next day or two and see if I detect any of that mouthfeel that drives me crazy.

Right now, if I never used it for anything ELSE but Skyline Chili, it would be worth it!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:58 AM   #323
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Soren, I did what another poster did. I mixed it up in a bowl with my flat wisk. No mixer or food processor. Worked great. It came together very fast. I also used the original recipe with two cups of water.
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
Start Date: October 2009
Finally got my ingredients in (UPS delayed shipment due to the icy roads here) and made the original recipe. I just mixed it by hand and it came together just fine.

Used my Norpro and it worked great! Although it didn't stick to the table very well so I had to hold it down while I turned the handle. A third hand would have come in handy.

Made spaghetti noodles and flat noodles. Both were a hit - even with my non-low carbing DH.

Although the original recipe is working great, I'm going to try Charski's version as it uses less gluc. That stuff is so dang expensive!
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #325
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
Cheese Sauce Recipe wanted for mac and cheese please.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
At Last--you have to use the little key they send to turn the switch on the side of the norpro to get enough suction to make it stick to the counter--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 AM   #327
Senior LCF Member

Oh! ooops! haha!

Thanks, Ouizoid!
Old 02-08-2014, 10:25 AM   #328
Gadget Gal

I'll give you mine but it's all by taste/appearance - are you a "by taste" cook or do you need specific measurements?
Old 02-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #329
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
OK, today's experiment!

I further tweaked Carolyn's last post, so I used 3 tablespoons glucomannan, 5 tablespoons oat fiber, 1 slightly heaped teaspoon coconut flour, pinch of garlic salt, 1 egg, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 cup water.
Is it different from this one, Charski? This is the one I was planning on trying. I tend to be a "taste" type of cook, since I've been doing it for so many years.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Has anyone tried 2 eggs, and less water for more of a egg noodle taste?

My Norpro gets here Wednesday, not sure which recipe to try. I have an issue with mouth feel too, so maybe I'll try Carolyn's first.

Debbie
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote