Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Slow Cooker Glazed Ham

Here's what I made for Christmas Eve dinner. It's so easy I'm almost embarrassed to call this a recipe. I used a 6-lb. shank end ham - I don't like spiral-sliced hams, as I think they dry out quickly. Note: the ham was too tall for the slow cooker lid to fit, so I used heavy-duty foil to seal the cooker.

Slow-Cooker Glazed Ham

One 6-7 lb. ham (remove any excess tough rind with a sharp knife)

1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup sugar-free apricot preserves (orange marmalade would be good, too)
1/4 tsp. each ground cloves and allspice

1/2 can SF orange soda (I used Zevia)

Combine the mustard, apricot preserves and spices in a small bowl. Using your hands, spread the mustard mixture over the ham (eww- goopy! but its the best way to spread it). Transfer (carefully, it's a slippery booger) to large slow cooker. Pour about 1/2 can soda around the ham (not over, you want the glaze to remain on the ham); add just enough soda to coat bottom of slow cooker. You're adding a bit of moisture so the ham doesn't dry out, but you don't want to boil it! Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours. Slice and serve. Easy, peasy!
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
This sounds great! At one of the department parties at work, someone brought in a ham in a crockpot. I thought that was an awesome potluck idea, but didn't get a chance to ask her how she had done it. We could smell it all morning while it was heating up. YUM! Thanks for your recipe!
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassySauce
Stats: 205/192/135
WOE: General LC
Start Date: Restart 10/13
I was looking for a good, sugarfree glaze for my crockpot ham before Christmas and wasn't successful......Mine turned out fine (husband made a lower sugar glaze) and it came out moist and delish from the crockpot. I would've loved to have this sugar free glaze recipe! Thanks for sharing! It sounds so good!
SassySauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Hey soccer lady

You always have wonderful ideas.

I love the sound of that simple glaze.
Most hams are cooked through so just need to
be heated and the crockpot should be a gentle way to do it.

Thanks
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Barbo, thanks for the kind compliment. I love this LC community . . .

One note: If you want a true sticky baked-on glaze, I would recommend using the same ingredients and baking low and slow (300 degrees) until ham is heated through. Using the slow cooker, the glaze was still visible, but not tacky-sticky like a honey-baked ham. It was a super easy way to cook/heat up the ham and easier cleanup than a baking pan, and it freed up the oven for other dishes. Enjoy!
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
My son furnished the ham for our Christmas Eve dinner. I didn't have a big enough pan to put it in my small counter top oven, so did it in the crock pot. It turned out really good, but would have loved to have had this recipe. Have it on a card now and will sure try it on my next ham. Thank you and have a Great New Year............ Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Brendajm
Stats: 130/122/117
WOE: was atkins, now maintenance
Start Date: march, 2004
Bumping this for Easter. I want to do my ham in the crockpot. All the recipes I saw for the crockpot involved 3 cups of brown sugar. Yikes. The sf jelly is a good idea. Maybe some sf pineapple divinci??
Brendajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I am doing my Easter ham in the crock pot this year too!!

Thanks for the glaze recipe. I hadnt figured that part out yet but didnt want to part with 3 cups of my Ideal brown. Brendajm - I came accross all those recipes too!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I just put my ham in the crockpot, too! Thanks for the suggestion.

I didn't want to go back to the store, so found a recipe online that I have all of the ingredients for. But, when I was putting it together, I didn't go back and read the recipe for amounts. I hope I didn't totally mess up my ham.

The recipe calls for combining 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon mustard and then rubbing all over the ham. I probably used a half a cup of dijon mustard in a bowl and added confectioners Swerve and stevia glycerite until I thought it tasted right. Then I rubbed it all over the ham. I'm not even a big fan of mustard. I wonder if I should go scrape some of it off the ham?

The recipe also calls for 2 cans of coke in the bottom of the crockpot. I used Hansen's Blue Sky Stevia cola, and only used about half the can.

I guess dinner will be an experiment. My ham was way too big for the crockpot, so I cut off about 1/3 of it. I still had to cover it with foil instead of the lid. Thanks for that tip, too!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

My ham turned out amazing!! I didn't scrape any of the mustard mixture off and it wasn't too mustardy. It was perfect!! The ham was very moist and very flavorful. I think I like ham done in a crockpot way better than ones done in the oven.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Mine turned out really yummy too! It was so easy and didnt dry out at all, it was super moist. Everyone loved it.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote