Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cherrytt_too
Stats: 299.5/258/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2, 2006
Cranberry Pie Nutrition Counts - Help!

Hey all, I found a delicious looking cranberry pie recipe...that I happened to have ALL of the ingredients for!

It just came out of the oven...I'll post taste results in a little while.

Meanwhile...I'm having difficulty with the counts on it...The few recipe calculators I have don't have the specialty ingredients (like the oat fiber or the swerve sweetener)...does anyone have a program that might be able to calculate this?

Ingredients

1/2 cup Oat Fiber (this is not oat flour or oat bran)
* 3 eggs
* 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
* 1/2 tsp. glucomannan
* ˝ cup of Stevia Blend (I used swerve sweetener)
* pinch of Sea Salt
* ˝ cup chopped pecans
* 1/2 cup or 1 stick of pastured butter (I used 1/4 cup butter + 1/4 cup coconut oil)
* ˝ tsp. Almond extract (this is the 1 ingredient I didn't have, so I just sprinkled 1/8 cup of slivered almonds on top)
* 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
*Cut stick of butter into small chunks and put into a mixing bowl with all other ingredients except cranberries.
*Use your hands to combine all the ingredients well… yes even the eggs. Really get in there with both hands, get messy and scrunch and mush ingredients together. This is a quick way to get the job done but if this idea grosses you out, simply use a Bosch or other mixing machine.
*Add cranberries and mix again.
*Put pie mixture into a well-greased pie dish and bake in a pre-heated oven on 350 for 40 minutes. (Place pie on middle to high rack so the bottom does not burn).

This tastes best served hot. If I end up refrigerating any once cooled then I re-heat individual slices when desired.

I've been on a diet for two weeks and all I've lost is 14 days.
-Totie Fields (1930 - 1978)
cherrytt_too is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cherrytt_too
Stats: 299.5/258/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2, 2006
Taste verdict...pretty darn good.

1 note that I'd do differently next time...I used fresh cranberries straight out of the bag and into the dough. They are TART. Not bad when mixed with the sweet of the cake, but I caught a bite of mostly berry and it was a little puckery. I would maybe parboil the berries in some sweetened water until they just pop next time.

Or maybe sprinkle the top with some swerve and let it crystallize.
cherrytt_too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
If you cut the berries in half first (sounds time intensive but it really only takes a few minutes), you can swish them around in a ziplock bag with some liquid sucralose or a few drops of stevia with a couple of tablespoons of water. That will take some of the tartness out.

BTW the mixture you have described int his recipe would also make a FAB topping for a low-carb cheesecake!
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I usually go to the source of the product unless it's here at netrition (they have a nutritionals link under every product). The Swerve site (and here) says that it's 5 carbs per teaspoon.

For Honeyville's oat fiber it's 1 gran per 100 grams (don't know how much that is without a scale). Here at netrition, the LifeSource oat fiber is Zero grams for 1 Tablespoon (5.2 g). Oat fiber pretty much is all fiber and zero's itself out for counts.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
I usually go to the source of the product unless it's here at netrition (they have a nutritionals link under every product). The Swerve site (and here) says that it's 5 carbs per teaspoon.
But the Swerve carbs consist of Erythritol and Oligosaccharides, which some people (including me) don't count as they are zero glycemic sugar alcohols and naturally occurring oligosaccharides from plant fibers. I would count Swerve as zero net carbs.

For the ingredients that do have net carbs - the cranberries, eggs and pecans - my calculator shows 17.99 net carbs for the whole pie.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
at last, thank you. I've never used Swerve as it's not around here and only online. Plus, sometimes other people outside of our family (DH is T2 diabetic) eat things I make and at least one of them can't have erythritol as it makes her sick, so I probabaly won't be getting any.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote