Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: micheleredit
Stats: 153/142/105
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Day one recommitting back 11/16/14
Christmas menu???

Can everyone share their menu's for this year. I'm having some problems putting one together.

So far I have ham and salad. Maybe mashed cauliflour with butter.

Was going to do wine but too high carb?? Maybe vodka tonics???

Desserts I'm also unsure of.

Just wondering how everyone is going to approach Christmas Day???

Thanks guys!
micheleredit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: whoknew
WOE: SyndromeX
Start Date: June 2007
Oh dear! I won't be of any help with my menu -- we're having shrimp with Kerry Gold Butter!

But when my brother is visiting New Years, we are going to have turnips au gratin (I rearranged the scalloped turnips recipe a bit), sugar free homemade cranberry sauce, Barbo's first draft cornbread revved up with cream cheese and jalapeno spread, green beans, roasted chicken, and berries and whipped cream.
whoknew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whyohwh
WOE: Atkins/low carb
Start Date: March 2013
Turkey, green beans - the rest of the family is having the cranberries and the stuffing and the sugar cane ice cream and the cake.

It's the chocolates & boxed sweets I'm worried about. There are boxes and boxes of wonderful, creamy crunchy wonders, and they have been calling my name. Hello, they seem to say, aren't you a little crazy about us? Have we not been yours in the past? Have you no respect for your cravings? Give in! Eat us!
Whyohwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm pretty sure our meal will be pretty simple this year, as it will only be the two of us.

To put that in perspective.........I just placed my mother in a nursing home Thursday for physical therapy/rehab from a serious fall. She can't walk unassisted or get up/down on her own, despite 2 ER visits and xrays confirming there are no broken bones or dislocations. We'll see what a month of PT does to improve her situation. She hasn't been eating right for some time, despite out CNA bringing in meals and cooking for her. She just eats like a bird, which is probably why she fell and why recovery may be difficult for her.

So for Christmas Eve I'm doing easy-peasy lobster tails drenched in butter, my Chipotle "Sweet Potatoes", maybe some low-carb dinner rolls and steamed broccoli. For Christmas Day I'm cooking a rib roast, mashed cauli, green beans of some sort and if I can summon up the energy, a delicious cran-raspberry cream cheese dessert I tried recently.

Last edited by buttoni; 12-21-2013 at 08:27 PM..
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I'm sorry to hear about your mother Buttoni. Her situation sounds similar to the little lady I cared for. She was in her 90's and when she fell it threw her whole body off. She got so weak and her electrolytes were out of whack. No broken bones but she got so weak in just a few days in the hospital that she had to get rehab to gain back her strength.. which she did. Your Christmas menu sounds yummy!
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Sorry to hear about your Mom. That cran-raspberry dessert sounds interesting.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
JLx
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: JLx
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I just placed my mother in a nursing home Thursday for physical therapy/rehab from a serious fall. She can't walk unassisted or get up/down on her own, despite 2 ER visits and xrays confirming there are no broken bones or dislocations. We'll see what a month of PT does to improve her situation.
My mom (age 88) fell last winter and when we took her to the ER they said nothing was broken and seemed to be quite impatient with her inability to stand or anything, but admitted her to the hospital anyway for that reason. When another doctor looked at the x-rays, well, then she did indeed have a broken bone. She was in the nursing home for a few months until she could walk a bit on her own. Later when she fell again and though nothing was broken but was just mildly sprained, it really affected her. When she was able, she started physical therapy and that helped her a LOT. Now she's in a PT aftercare program where she can go use the equipment and get a little assistance if she needs it for only $4 a session.

Any sort of fall for the elderly is serious, but no broken bones is good. Hope for the best.
JLx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
We are having pork roast with a zinfandel reduction, roasted asparagus, mixed greens salad with pears, walnuts and goat cheese and balsamic dressing, butternut squash, dill rolls, and some yummy desserts. I'll eat it all but the rolls and dessert--there's lots of low carb stuff to choose from.

My three grown kids and their spouses are all foodies (and thin!) so they're making almost all of this. I'm bringing the asparagus and an appetizer of goat cheese, crackers, and 3 kinds of hot pepper jelly from my garden--jalapeno, habanero, and cayenne. The jellies are beautiful jeweled colors, red, green, and gold, and look gorgeous on the snowy white goat cheese. I have sugar-free hot pepper jellies for myself, so I'll bring that too, along with a few Joseph's lavash crackers.

Buttoni, I hope your mother heals quickly--it sounds like you are taking wonderful care of her. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family this holiday.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
So sorry to hear of your mother, Buttoni.

Some of my Christmas Eve appetizers:
Shrimp scampi
jalapeno poppers (low carb bacon wrapped)
pepper cheese smoked sausages (cut in appetizer bites)
low carb cookies
Black diamond cheddar cheese dip/low carb crackers
----------------------------------------------------
Dinner: (Only 2 of us, company will be by later for leftovers and appetizers)
ham (still trying to figure out how to carmelize the top sugar free with the blow torch, since it is traditon)
cheesy turnips with smoked gouda
some kind of green beans or casserole
chocolate roll (yule log)
deviled eggs (christmas colors)
low carb dinner rolls
cranberry orange salad
Old 12-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Oh Mari.. is it too much trouble to share your cranberry orange salad recipe and the chocolate log recipe, too????
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Peggy, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom, I hope she has a good recovery. Sometimes falls in older people take longer to heal than a broken bone. I'm sure you'll be with her every step of the way.
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Thanks everyone for the concern and well wishes. I'm going to try to enjoy a couple weeks here at home with Lance and Button, my rat terrier. I need a rest. Will run down again in mid-January to check on her.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
We had a rib roast, roasted brussel sprouts, and LC cheesecake tonight. Tomorrow will be our typical Japanese restaurant, no rice for me though.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ladeeda
Stats: 265/199/175
WOE: Protein Power, modified
Start Date: April 2004
We have a huge buffet with most contributing carby dishes per family tradition. I cooked Sausage, Peppers and Onions. Had salad, ham and shrimp and was very satisfied. Happy New Year everyone!
ladeeda is offline   Reply With Quote