Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tryinghardtolose
Stats: 195/149.8/140
WOE: Atkins
Cheesecake experts please help!

My daughter has requested that we make a Peppermint cheesecake for Christmas. We have made the Beachgirls cheesecakes, and LOVE them! I'm thinking that we could make the plain flavored one of theirs, and just flavor it with the peppermint. My question is what would be the best option to flavor it with?

We have peppermint Da Vinci syrup, pure stevia peppermint, peppermint emulsion, Lorann peppermint oil, and peppermint extract. Yes, she is a peppermint addict! Lol.

If my memory serves me correctly, the recipe calls for 1 cup of sweetener, which we usually replace with different Da Vinci flavors, but I'm worried that a whole cup of it, without any other sweetener, wouldn't be sweet enough and over powering.

Has anyone made one of these, or do any of you expert bakers have any suggestions? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!! I really don't want to mess this up for her. We stay low carb all of the time, and as you all know, Christmas is a hard time to stay on tract. I made a comment that we could convert pretty much anything to LCD, so she gave me a challenge! Lol.

Also, we used to be able to buy SF candy canes, but haven't seen them in years! Of course we can buy the round SF peppermint candies, but that isn't the same. Anyway, I was thinking about crushing some of those up and either putting them in the batter before baking or sprinkle on top before baking. What do you think? Would they get soft and soggy or stay crunchy?

Thank you again for any help, and Happy Holidays to everyone!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
not an answer to your question, but for a peppermint addict a terrific gift would be peppermint essential oil. keep it in the refrigerator and it's a MUCH purer peppermint flavor to my taste anyway. just use a TINY amount though, it is super strong. start with one drop in something...
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for the suggestion ravenrose! I will check it out!
Tryinghardtolose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Peppermint extract is strong. Perhaps start with 1/2 as much as vanilla stated in a recipe and omit the vanilla? You could always make peppermint whipped cream for the top if it ends up not minty enough.
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I was thinking the same thing JHoberer! I was just wondering if one of the other choices would be better.

Come on everyone, so many views and only 2 comments? I know I don't post often, and you all dont know me, but I need help. Please? I don't want to ruin a perfectly good cheesecake and I want to fulfill my daughters request. It's Christmas!!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I found 2 recipes that might help.
Creme de Menthe Pie Ginny
Crust

1 cup almond flour
1 cup flax meal, Golden
1/4 cup cocoa powder
10 packets truvia
1/4 cup butter -- melted
Filling
12 ounces cream cheese, softened (1 1/2 packages)
6 drops green food coloring, (optional)
1/2 cup creme de menthe DaVinci SF syrup
1/8 teaspoon mint flavoring
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon sugar-free vanilla pudding and pie filling
1 tablespoon creme de menthe DaVinci SF syrup
Topping
2/3 cup heavy cream
8 squares Lindt 85% Cocoa Bar, chopped into small pieces
6 packets Truvia
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all ingredients together in the bottom of a 10" pie plate and press into the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool.
Beat together the cream cheese, food coloring, if you use it, SF syrup, and mint flavoring with an electric beater until smooth and creamy. Whip the cup of heavy cream together with the SF vanilla pudding and pie filling mix, and the DaVinci SF syrup, until peaks form. Fold into the cream cheese mixture until all is blended well. Pour onto prepared crust.
Bring heavy cream and Truvia just to a simmer, stirring constantly, and remove from heat. Quickly stir in the chopped cocoa bar until smooth and creamy and spread on top of the pie.
Eggnog Peppermint Cheesecake Kim They Smell
3 (8 ounce) packages Cream Cheese, softened
1 cup Eggnog
1-1/4 cups Stevia or sugar
4 large Eggs
¼ cup Whipping Cream
¼ cup Sour Cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon Butter, softened
2 tsp peppermint extract
1 10 oz. bag mini chocolate chips
Heat oven to 325°F. In large bowl with electric mixer, beat cream cheese on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sugar until well blended. Beat in eggs one at a time, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl each time. On low speed, beat in whipping cream, sour cream, eggnog, peppermint and vanilla until well blended. Bring a kettle of water to a boil for a water bath. Use butter to grease bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan. Make sure bottom of pan is fully greased or chocolate chips will stick. Wrap a sheet of heavy duty foil over bottom and up sides of pan. Pour chocolate chips into bottom of pan and distribute evenly. Pour cream cheese mixture on top of chocolate chips. Place pan in a large roasting pan. Carefully pour boiling water into pan until it reaches half way up sides of pan. Bake on lowest oven rack until perimeter of cake is set but center will jiggle when pan is tapped (roughly 60-75 minutes). Turn off oven; leave door ajar for 1 hour leaving cheesecake in oven. (Cheesecake will be golden brown on top, puff up and settle upon cooling.) Transfer from water bath to a cooling rack; cool completely. Cover; chill at least 4 hours or up to 3 days before serving. Dust with dark chocolate cocoa powder if desired upon serving.

Last edited by Soobee; 12-20-2013 at 01:58 PM..
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you SooBee for the info! I wonder what they mean by mint flavoring? Extract maybe??. I just didn't want to be over powered with peppermint! Lol
Old 12-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doing It Right
Not sure if I'm posting this link correctly, but I saved this last year, hope to make it for xmas.

No Bake Low Carb Candy Cane Cheesecake
Doing It Right is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Oh thank you so much Doing It Right!! I think this is what I will make! At the very least it gives me an idea as to how much extract to use, so that it isn't overpowering.

I appreciate your reply so much! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doing It Right
You are very much welcome! Merry Christmas!
Doing It Right is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I would make a basic cheesecake batter and then add crushed sf peppermint candy to it. It would look pretty too.

Debbie....
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
for the sweetening question...I always use half liquid sucralose and half powdered erythritol for cheesecakes. This make a good sweetening duo.
You can powder ertythritol in a cooffe grinder or use bullet type blender with the grinder blade...I have not tried in a food processor.

Last edited by lterry913; 12-21-2013 at 11:50 AM..
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I would use the peppermint candies. I would put them in a baggie and pound the heck out of them so they were a powder, mix in with the cheesecake batter and add some peppermint extract also. I recently did this putting the crushed candies in a cream cheese icing. It added just a twinge of pink to the icing. I used it on chocolate peppermint cupcakes then decorated them with Christmas decorating candies/sprinkles - candy canes, Christmas trees, snowflakes and snowmen.

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 12-21-2013 at 03:47 PM..
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Debbie, Iterry913, and Tweeker Geek for your suggestions!

I am assuming the general opinion is to use peppermint extract and SF candies. I'm wondering if mixing the candy into the batter will turn them soggy or will they stay crunchy? Even if I crush them into a powder, there are bound to be tiny pieces that don't crush up. I just don't want a gritty feel to the batter. Do you know what I mean?

Thank you all again for your help. I'm making this tomorrow night so that it has a day or two to absorb the flavor. Does that make sense?? Lol
Old 12-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I dont think they will turn completely soft...I've had crushed pepermint cany in lots of things and there is always a crunch to it.
Old 12-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

one more tip...not to do with anything asked above...make sure to bake cheesecake in a water bath and not to let it over bake. I also let it cool in oven with door cracked open to prevent cracking...if you over bake you get a dry cheesecake with a cracked top.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The crushed candies I put in the icing just add peppermint flavor and the pink tinge; I don't taste any grittiness and there are no "crunchable" pieces
Old 12-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thank you ladies! The candy will get crushed really well and put into the batter and I will not over bake! I love a creamy cheesecake!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Let us know how it comes out and how you and your daughter like it.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Tweaker Geek; 12-22-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Old 12-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Will do!

Merry Christmas to you too!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I just wanted to pop in and let you all know that the cheesecake turned out great! We made the basic Beachgirls cheesecake with just a couple of tiny changes. For the sweetener, we used a SF non flavored syrup. Can't remember the brand but it's like DaVinci's. Instead of adding all of the vanilla it called for, we used Peppermint extract. Honestly, we just eyed the amount. We taste tested it before we put the eggs in. At the end, we added crushed SF peppermints on top of the peppermint whipped cream. YUMMY!!!!

My daughter was very pleased with the outcome. To me, it tasted really good, but I'm not a huge peppermint fan like she is. Give me a plain, chocolate or coconut cheesecake any day!

To all of those that offered their advice, thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!

I hope your Christmas was your best one yet and that Santa was good to each and every one of you all!
Old 12-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

So glad it was a success...Happy Holidays.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Trying - I'm glad it worked out for you -- sounds yummy!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:30 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mercury713
I wished i found this before xmas. This seems like a great cheesecake to make. Maybe ill make it for valentines day
Mercury713 is offline   Reply With Quote