Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
Adjust oven temp?

Twice in the last couple of weeks I've managed to scare the heck out of my dog .

Two weeks ago I was making some frozen shrimp appetizers in the oven. Package said to preheat to 475 degrees. As the shrimp were baking, a lot of smoke was being produced which eventually set off my smoke detector - which isn't even in the kitchen! My dog wasn't happy . Even after I silenced the alarm, opened the kitchen door and turned the exhaust fan from low to high, the darn alarm continued to chirp. Needless to say the dog wasn't happy and I had to put her in the yard.

Friday night I was making garlic bread for DH. Package said to heat oven to 425. Same as the last time, there was enough smoke produced that the alarm went off, the door was opened, and the dog went out!

My dog is threatening to call the ASPCA if I do this again What is the solution??? If the package of frozen whatevers says to use 475 should I just lower the temp to 400 and bake it longer? Maybe just adding 5 minutes would work.

Any thoughts appreciated by me and my sweet little dog!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Is the item supposed to be defrosted before baking?

You could get an oven thermometer--not expensive and test your oven temps to make sure they are correct.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: at_last
Stats: 164/115/112 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: October 2009
Are you sure it said 475 degrees? That's practically incineration temp. lol!

Maybe check the floor of your oven for small food items or grease spots that may smoke at high temps.
at_last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Does the oven need cleaning? Little spills on the floor can cause a lot of smoke.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I agree with Dottie. My oven looked clean to me when I put in the turkey a few years ago. My house filled with a dark smoke cloud on Thanksgiving Day. Now I routinely clean the oven the Weds. before Thanksgiving!
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

The frozen shrimp appetizers came from Aldi's (seasonal item) and said to keep frozen. I also thought 475 was just a little HIGH, but those were the directions. It seemed like the smoke was coming up off the jelly roll pan as the bacon wrapped around the shrimp started to crisp.

The other item was frozen garlic bread...texas toast and was buttered on both sides. It also seemed to be smoking off the baking sheet and the directions said to keep frozen.

I used to make the garlic toast fairly often for DH until it started giving him heartburn. I don't remember setting off the smoke detector like I did on Friday.

I admit that the oven isn't exactly pristine but in both cases it seemed like the problem was the grease coming off the bacon or bread that was causing the problem.

I suppose I could just put the smoke detector outside until the bread is finished.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I agree that you should get an oven thermometer to see if the temperature is accurate. I'm guessing your oven runs hot.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/294/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Oven thermometers are a household necessity, IMO. It could be that or something on the oven floor.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Like others have said, if you don't have an oven thermometer, they're a must. My oven runs 25-30 degrees hotter than it say so I always have to lower it by that amount.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow I'll be baking a LC treat for myself and will check the oven temp.

If the temp. reads the correct number....oh horrors....I'll have to find the instructions on cleaning my oven. I have a "steam" clean oven...not the conventional method and I can't remember how to do it. Guess I'd better find the book!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
If the oven is smoking, open the door and look to see exactly where it's coming from. It may just need a quick wipe (when it's cool lol) with a soapy cloth.
I had a pie drip over the edge and I didn't notice it until it started smoking the next time I used it. It was the size of a dime lol but it smoked like a 3 alarm fire!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Same pan both times? ... If it is dark or Teflon coated you need to lower oven temp by 25degrees... Some pans may not be safe at that high of s temp.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I checked the oven temp (finally) and it looks accurate. It might be a couple of degrees off, but it was close to 375...which is what it was set at.

I did use the same jelly roll pan both times, and it is very old and kind of dark. When I opened the door, it really looked like the smoke was coming off the pan. I'll use a different pan the next time I need to go over 400 and see if I set off the smoke detector again.

Thanks for all the ideas....and my dog thanks you also!