Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Advice on a good egg nog recipe? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/818251-advice-good-egg-nog-recipe.html)

hgrzelak 12-06-2013 11:53 AM

Advice on a good egg nog recipe?

Hey all! I am new to this message board but I have nosed around it several times for good, low carb/keto friendly recipes. I have been trying to come up with a good recipe for egg nog. I have already looked around at past posts with recipes for egg nog, but have found this one to be the best tasting:

1 quart heavy cream
2/3c davinci sugar free egg nog syrup
1/4c egg beaters
1/2t vanilla extract
1/4c splenda or equivalent

It tastes wonderful! And very keto friendly. My issue with it is this: a one cup serving of this recipe contains over 800 calories! I want to stick with this recipe for the most part, but cut the calories down. So I edited the recipe like so:

2c heavy cream
2c unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4c egg beaters

Wonderful flavor still. My issue with this one is: too runny!

I have seen in the past that people use Table Creama in place of sweetened condensed milk. I have seen this in the store before, but have never used it. I saw that there is a Light Table Crema available that I was thinking of using. So I was thinking of doing this recipe:

1 quart light table crema
1/4c egg beaters
1/4c splenda or equivalent
1/2t vanilla

Still keto friendly, and a one cup serving would now be 264 calories - much better.

I want to know: do any of you have experience with Light Table Crema? What is it's consistency? Will it be thick? From what I have been reading about table cream, the light version may curdle when cooled (i.e. refrigerated), but can be helped if it is cooked first - is this true? What are your suggestions - should I heat this recipe and add a thickener, and if so, do you think it will be prone to curdling when placed back in the fridge?

Charski 12-06-2013 02:39 PM

I'd make it real simple - take the second recipe (with the almond milk) and whir it all in a blender with some glucomannan until you get the mouthfeel you're looking for.

Alternatively, I'd use the same recipe but up the eggbeaters to 1/2 cup and heat gently and stir til it thickens up a bit, then cool.

NAT&RD 12-06-2013 03:51 PM

I love love love store bought high sugar egg nog. Usually breakdown and have 1/4 cup (really, why bother) Have been working hard to come up with a good lc replacement

I haven't seen SF egg nog syrup

I make 1 glass at a time

1/4 c egg beaters
1/4 c HWC
1 C almond/ coconut milk
@ 2 T SF butter rum syrup
mix well

top with ground nutmeg

This is as close to the real thing I have found. Don't taste coconut at all, and this has the right mouth feel

Dottie 12-06-2013 04:06 PM

A lot of the low-carb recipes call for a package of sugar free french vanilla pudding to 2 cups almond milk + 1 cup half and half, to thicken it.

Barbo 12-06-2013 04:08 PM

LOW CARB EGGNOG

I LOVE THIS STUFF......

LC Egg Nog
TNT Eggless Eggnog

Small: 1 quart
4 cups LC Hood 2% milk
1 package Jell-O sugar free instant vanilla pudding
mix -- (4 serving size)
1 tsp. vanilla flavor
1/2 tsp. rum flavoring (optional)
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Large: Makes 1/2 gallon
1/2 gallon LC Hood 2% milk
1 pkg. pudding mix serving for 6
vanilla extract to taste
rum extract to taste

Leave out the spices and put them on top when you serve it.
1. In a large pitcher, combine LC milk, dry pudding
mix, rum extract, and *nutmeg. Mix well using a long
spoon. Refrigerate 5 minutes. Gently stir again.
Serve at once. Small makes 4 (1 cup) servings.

*I just put everything into the Vita Mix or blender and whirl.
Stir and chill.

cfine 12-06-2013 09:03 PM

Subbing

Mistizoom 12-06-2013 09:23 PM

Ultra simple: 1 Atkins Advantage vanilla shake, add 5-6 Capella drops eggnog flavor. Mix, drink.