Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
I used this recipe for a party this weekend, and everyone loved them. I have a hard time finding recipes I can shared with my non-lc friends, but this is definitely one.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I can't wait to try these! I wish I had some cheddar right now to make them right now. Will have to wait a few days for my day off to go grocery shopping.
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
Bill, when you used the lupin flour for fried chicken, how did it taste? Fried chicken is my absolute favorite food in the world, and I have not found a decent replacement for good ol' flour....not pork rinds, nada!

I love Lupin flour and use it for lots of things. Fried Chicken is not one of my favorite applications though. The best replacement I've found for good ol flour for frying is LC Foods Corp White Bread Flour. Love it for fried shrimp and fried chicken. Never a complaint from Non Low Carbers. LC flours are a bit pricy but soooo worth it IMO if you are only using it for breading for frying instead of making bread.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: paid4c4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipsandroses View Post
I love Lupin flour and use it for lots of things. Fried Chicken is not one of my favorite applications though. The best replacement I've found for good ol flour for frying is LC Foods Corp White Bread Flour. Love it for fried shrimp and fried chicken. Never a complaint from Non Low Carbers. LC flours are a bit pricy but soooo worth it IMO if you are only using it for breading for frying instead of making bread.
I didn't tell the wife I had used lupin flour instead of regular flour and she didn't know the difference. I couldn't tell any difference either. I'm working on a bread maker bread recipe and a pizza crust recipe. I have to experiment a little more before I post the recipes. Meanwhile enjoy the fired chicken.
Bill
paid4c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: itsmejessica
Start Date: restart DEC 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
Should anyone be wondering, almond flour is not a good substitute for the lupin flour. :/ I tried it tonight and I have lovely, lacey, crispy cheesy puddles on my baking pan. I added 3 TB carbquik to the remaining dough in an attempt to salvage it, and they look better - sorta like cheesy peanut butter cookies - but I wanted to warn anyone else who is thinking of substituting for the lupin flour.
Thank you for posting this. I was going to attempt using almond flour. I have almond and coconut flour, I will have to wait to make these. I don't want to go buy another flour till I use some of the 2 I have up. I really appreciate you sharing your results.
itsmejessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
I did another batch this weekend using a combination of almond flour and coconut flour in place of the Carbquik. They're pretty good, and gluten-free, too! Using smoked cheese and a bit of onion powder really added some nice flavor to the mix.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:52 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/114/115-120
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
We are in the process of moving into a short-term rental so altho' I'd planned to photograph the crackers that didn't happen.

I used lupin flour and a mature cheddar cheese. The mixture spent approx. 36 hrs in the fridge.

Both thin and thicker crackers baked well - I like the added crunch and flavour of seeds on the outside of the thicker ones (blonde poppy seeds, black onion seeds and some chill flakes).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
I made these last night and other than making them too thick they are pretty tasty. I will definitely make these again.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #69
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I'm officially an addict! These are soooooooooo amazing! Made my best batch yet. Added a bunch of sesame seeds to the batter. Rolled it out thin and used a pizza cutter (baked them on parchment for 15 minutes.) They turned out perfectly light and crispy.
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I should have checked on these sooner. Guess my oven runs hot. Took them out at 15 mins and they were way too crispy. No big deal though, I ended up using them as croutons in my salad. Will take them out a lot sooner next time.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #71
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

It's taken me a few batches to get them just right. I have a very old gas oven so I think that's why I need a longer backing time for my very thin crackers.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #72
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: vli1127
Stats: Obese/overweight/feeling good
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Restart everyday
These look good.
vli1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:56 PM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeky1178
Stats: 324.8/288/180-ish?
WOE: 50gms or less
Start Date: 1/17/14
Just made my first batch tonight. I think they are worth making again with a few changes. I don't know what a 1 inch ball looks like so I used my smallest cookie scooper. I got just under 3 dozen and they were more like cookies then crackers, so next time I'll have to consider rolling them thinner. Also I used Cabot extra sharp cheddar and the cheese flavor was wildly overwhelming. I didn't even taste my pepperoni haha! These would probably be great with Chili and I can see where people would like it for a pot pie crust.

So I will definitely try these again but with a milder cheese and roll them out thinner

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do. -Helen Keller"

cheeky1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:36 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
The last time I made these, I used half ricotta and half Monterrey Jack. The cheese flavor was almost non-existent (which was my goal), but either I rolled them out too thin or they needed more fat, because they didn't turn out as flaky as my non-ricotta batches. Next time I'll try 1/4 ricotta and 3/4 Jack. I'm also baking them longer at lower temperature (300 F for 20 min), in hopes of drying them out without burning them - would be better if I could manage to roll them out evenly - sigh.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by paid4c4 View Post
I'm working on a bread maker bread recipe and a pizza crust recipe. I have to experiment a little more before I post the recipes.
Bill
I've been looking for a good bread maker bread recipe!

The crackers turned out awesome.
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:50 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky1178 View Post
These would probably be great with Chili and I can see where people would like it for a pot pie crust.
great ideas!

Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 PM   #77
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
One thing to know about lupin flour is that like soy, it has quite a lot of phytoestrogens.

Some say phytoestrogens help protect against the development or growth of hormone positive cancers such as breast and prostate. But my doc who wrote the book on breast cancer told me that there is still too much unknown about phytoestrogen action and breast cancer and the women who eat the least phytoestrogens from soy (and I extrapolate other legumes high in PE) have the best rates of remission.

Bottom line, if you have a predisposition to hormone positive cancers in your family or if you've ever had breast cancer or prostate cancer, think twice about eatting lupin flour or soy flour.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

That got me thinking, since I had thyroid cancer. My thyroid has been removed but I still have to have my lymph nodes checked periodically. So I was wondering "how much is too much?" and found this:

Kaayla Daniels, Ph.D., author of The Whole Soy Story, suggests that the thyroid-toxic effects of soy are most often seen at levels above 30 mg of soy per day.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #79
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
[QUOTE=kjwalsh;16809348]

That got me thinking, since I had thyroid cancer. My thyroid has been removed but I still have to have my lymph nodes checked periodically. So I was wondering "how much is too much?" and found this:

Kaayla Daniels, Ph.D., author of The Whole Soy Story, suggests that the thyroid-toxic effects of soy are most often seen at levels above 30 mg of soy per day. [/QUOTE

KJ-that's a really interesting point. The research I did showed for women with hormone positive cancers, the actions of soy were shaped like a bell curve. The women with the least consumption of soy and the women with the most consumption were the ones to benefit from the cancer-protective benefits. The ones in the middle had their risk of cancer increase in a dose-dependent response to soy.

The women with the greatest consumption of soy was the Asian/Japanese population. And the important takeaway there is their soy is so diff from ours: Their's is non-GMO, a lot of it is fermented, etc. Ours is mostly GMO, non-fermented, in every type of processed junk you can imagine, etc.

So as he told me, "You don't want to be the guinea pig that proves the hypothesis that soy promotes cancer growth in hormone pos. bc." And he made a great point! LOL. I don't want to be that canary in a coalmine! But he did say, a bit here or there -- hidden in things will likely not hurt. So maybe he's talking more about multiple servings of soy-based, concentrated protein products on an ongoing basis--which would fit in with your woman above! ?
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #80
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I tweaked the recipe a bit....

I made a Nacho batch with the following recipe the other day and they are my best yet! They are a bit salty so next time I will make my own nacho blend rather than using the kernels stuff I had on hand.

1/2 + cup butter = 125 g
1/2 pound extra sharp cheddar chesse (better cheese makes better crackers) - I used 1/2 lower fat cheddar and 1/2 old cheddar (Cracker Barrel) = 8 oz
1&1/2 cups of lupin flour = 180 grams
1/2 tbsp water
1/2 tbsp egg white
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp baking powder - new addition March 2014 (think it helped to make them crispier)
1/2 tsp baking soda - new addition March 2014 (think it helped to make them crispier)
2+ tbsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Cream butter and cheese in Vitamix, add water and egg and incorporate. Add dry ingredients, used tamper to mix it a bit before turning machine back on. Roll out dough on parchment paper until it's quite thin (I use cling film on top of the dough so the rolling pin doesn't stick.) Cut with pizza cutter. Bake at 350 for 14 minutes and let cool in pan to crisp up.

Nacho version:
added Nacho powder to dough and sprinkled some more on top.
added about 5 grams of nutritional yeast
added 1/2 tbsp extra water

These crackers were rolled out very thin and came out super crispy!

I was able to roll out 3 baking trays worth and as you can see I ended up with a lot of crackers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140329_192435_LLS Cheese lupin flour crackers.jpg (36.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: jbatchelor
Stats: 248/174.5 /148
WOE: Atkins/Low carb
I made the OP recipe and they turned out looking just like the original-more cookie like with a texture and taste I would describe as close to Walker shortbread cookie if I had sweetened them and added some butter flavoring-I may be doing that for sure!! they have possibilities for sure--I will also try Yaz's thinner technique and try to get a real cracker too--I am really liking the low carb count and increased fiber which I need! thanks!
jbatchelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
I made a Nacho batch with the following recipe the other day and they are my best yet! They are a bit salty so next time I will make my own nacho blend rather than using the kernels stuff I had on hand.

1/2 + cup butter = 125 g
1/2 pound extra sharp cheddar chesse (better cheese makes better crackers) - I used 1/2 lower fat cheddar and 1/2 old cheddar (Cracker Barrel) = 8 oz
1&1/2 cups of lupin flour = 180 grams
1/2 tbsp water
1/2 tbsp egg white
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp baking powder - new addition March 2014 (think it helped to make them crispier)
1/2 tsp baking soda - new addition March 2014 (think it helped to make them crispier)
2+ tbsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Cream butter and cheese in Vitamix, add water and egg and incorporate. Add dry ingredients, used tamper to mix it a bit before turning machine back on. Roll out dough on parchment paper until it's quite thin (I use cling film on top of the dough so the rolling pin doesn't stick.) Cut with pizza cutter. Bake at 350 for 14 minutes and let cool in pan to crisp up.

Nacho version:
added Nacho powder to dough and sprinkled some more on top.
added about 5 grams of nutritional yeast
added 1/2 tbsp extra water

These crackers were rolled out very thin and came out super crispy!

I was able to roll out 3 baking trays worth and as you can see I ended up with a lot of crackers!
I made the top version and they were delicious. Accidentally used powdered egg whites so added extra water. I made two trays, one on silpat and one on parchment rolling out with sprayed wax paper on top. I liked the parchment one better. I think it absorbed some of the fat from the extra sharp cheese. Next time I'm going to try a different cheese with less fat.

Thanks, Yaz for your tweak. And thanks op for the original recipe.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote