Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Redeemed, did you use preshredded cheese? I understand that it's coated with something that keeps it from sticking together.
I used pre-shredded cheddar that was in a large bag at the grocery store. The dough was easy to work with I thought.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
What about the flavor?

My lupin bread tasted like legumes to me.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
My lupin bread tasted like legumes to me.
The crackers might taste like legumes to you too then. I think Lupin flavor is distinct. But to me they taste delicious. They're nice to bring to work for a snack. I like to add Genoa (sp?) salami. Great flavors to me.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
OK, I made this recipe, and all I can say is O!M!G! The crackers are actually flakey! I used extra sharp cheddar cheese that I grated in a food processor, and did half the batch the way described, rolling it into little balls and smooshing them down. The second half I rolled between parchment and scored with a pizza cutter, hoping to get the crackers a little thinner and more consistent. They just came out of the oven, so I'll let you know how well they break apart.

Tastewise, I think next time I will use a less sharp cheese, and also cut out the added salt. The cheese flavor is a bit overpowering, although I can see how it would go well with pepperoni. Also a bit salty. Didn't find the taste of the flour noticeable, but perhaps it was masked by the cheese. I think you could have fun experimenting with different cheeses for different flavors, also adding herbs,spices, sesame seeds, etc.

But for dips, cheese, guacamole, or salsa, these are the best low carb crackers I have tasted.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
OK, I made this recipe, and all I can say is O!M!G! The crackers are actually flakey! I used extra sharp cheddar cheese that I grated in a food processor, and did half the batch the way described, rolling it into little balls and smooshing them down. The second half I rolled between parchment and scored with a pizza cutter, hoping to get the crackers a little thinner and more consistent. They just came out of the oven, so I'll let you know how well they break apart.

Tastewise, I think next time I will use a less sharp cheese, and also cut out the added salt. The cheese flavor is a bit overpowering, although I can see how it would go well with pepperoni. Also a bit salty. Didn't find the taste of the flour noticeable, but perhaps it was masked by the cheese. I think you could have fun experimenting with different cheeses for different flavors, also adding herbs,spices, sesame seeds, etc.

But for dips, cheese, guacamole, or salsa, these are the best low carb crackers I have tasted.
I should have posted that I didn't use any salt as I assumed they would be salty enough with all the cheese and salted butter . Didn't miss the tsp. of salt at all.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
THAnks

Thanks for you answer Redeemed
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:38 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Barbo, how about a pinch of garlic powder or some other herbs/seasoning. That might work for you. It may just take a very little bit.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pitlin
I just made these, grated my own sharp cheddar, and I did add the salt. They are really really good! Next time I also will skip the salt because I don't think it is needed.
pitlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I'm thinking with a milder cheese, like Monterrey Jack, this could be rolled out and be used as a flaky pastry for a quiche, pot pies, or empanadas. I miss flaky pastry for savory baked goods, and this might just work. Or add a touch of sweetener and use it for sweet pie crusts (chayote apple pie, anyone? with 2 crusts!)

I think I'm going to have to buy some more lupin flour...
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Should anyone be wondering, almond flour is not a good substitute for the lupin flour. :/ I tried it tonight and I have lovely, lacey, crispy cheesy puddles on my baking pan. I added 3 TB carbquik to the remaining dough in an attempt to salvage it, and they look better - sorta like cheesy peanut butter cookies - but I wanted to warn anyone else who is thinking of substituting for the lupin flour.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
Thanks for the info. Lupin flour soaks up a lot of liquid. I wonder if a combo of almond and coconut would work?
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made these this morning. So delicious. Tastes so much like store bought cheese crackers.Thumbs up from everyone here. Definitely will do again. I left out the salt, as recommended by posters. Also I did not bother to shred the cheese. Just crumpled it into the mixer with the butter. I used 3-year-old Cabot sharp cheddar, so maybe all cheeses would not work the same. The dough reminded me of pie dough. Next time I will roll the dough in plastic wrap, refrigerate, then slice and bake. These are good enough for company (if the company does not have peanut allergies). DH already tried them with peanut butter. Even better.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

pie crust

I tried an experiment to try and make a pie crust. I used l/4 of the recipe and used whipped cream cheese instead of cheddar. The crust looked like regular pie crust but will not stand up to sauces (pureed raspberry) for any length of time. It might make a nice crumb topping tough, with added sweetner. Back to the drawing board.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #44
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yaz
I made another batch tonight, rolled them out and used a pizza cutter to cut them into squares. They came out very similar to goldfish crackers except even better!
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:21 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aren't they great? I am having a hard time controlling myself. If anyone has lupin flour and hasn't figured out what to do with it, this recipe is worth the price of admission.

Redeemed, did you add water to the dough to make your pie? Or di you use it as written? I love this cracker dough. Maybe it would hold up as the cover to a chicken pot pie or something of that nature.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
Aren't they great? I am having a hard time controlling myself. If anyone has lupin flour and hasn't figured out what to do with it, this recipe is worth the price of admission.

Redeemed, did you add water to the dough to make your pie? Or di you use it as written? I love this cracker dough. Maybe it would hold up as the cover to a chicken pot pie or something of that nature.
Yes. I added a couple T water. I agree with you that this recipe is worth the price of admission for the crackers. Definitely making a new batch today.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #47
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

I added 1 tbsp of water, 1 tsp of onion and garlic powder to my second batch of crackers.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Going back to JUDDD
I made these today - wonderful! I used a mild pre-shredded cheddar since I had it on hand, and I made small crackers - little balls about the size of a large blueberry, pressed thin to about 1" diameter, and I got like 10 dozen! They baked a little quicker, I guess since they were so small and I imagine much thinner than if I had made only 3 doz with the same amount of dough. I had to keep a close eye on them as they baked, since they went from "pale" to "well done" in literally a minute. I am really pleased with how flaky and tasty they are. I don't think mine would hold up to a heavy dip but are great snackin' crackers. I think I'll try to make some a little thicker next time to test out their dipability. Great recipe!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:13 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cjack1
I am going to try this with soy flour. Seems similar to lupin from what I have read and I have some I need to use. I use soy flour for breaking fried chicken and it is delicious. Just need to use a lower temperature for soy than for wheat and add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, cayenne and black pepper to taste to the flour.
cjack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:17 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lazy girl
I made the little balls too big and the crackers came out like soft cookies. I also find the cheese overwhelming, but will try another next time. The idea of cayenne and garlic sounds good to me.
lazy girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #51
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy girl View Post
I made the little balls too big and the crackers came out like soft cookies. I also find the cheese overwhelming, but will try another next time. The idea of cayenne and garlic sounds good to me.
I use half regular cheddar and half low fat and don't find the cheese flavour overpowering. I do add garlic and onion powder to my recipe as well.

I wonder if this could be modified to make a crumble type topping for desserts by omitting the cheese (or subbing cream cheese) and adding cinnamon instead?
Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
I wanted to give some feed back because it always helps me when decideing to make a recipe. I got my Lupin flour yesterday and just made the crackers today.

I had to use my large food processor to get it to mix,a hand mixer won't pull it together. The dough was crumbly, like pie crust dough, so maybe bump up the butter. I then made a long log roll in some plasic wrap, so I could slice them, should have rolled between two sheets of parchment and then use a pizza cutter. I used medium cheddar not sharp. The 12 minutes was perfect baking time, but the color didn't like like OP, mine are orange in color, like the cheese.

I didn't care for these, just thought they were ok, not a deal braker. they had too much cheese flavor and I felt they were dry. They did have a little crsip, but texure was more like a cookie then cracker. If I would have baked any longer to crisp up more they would have been burnt for sure.

I do like the Lupin flour though, has a very mild taste compared to Garbonzo bean flour. I will try again using a white cheese and maybe adding some spices.

My 2 cents, Debbie.....

Last edited by Tater Head; 01-09-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #53
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Debbie,

I use my vitamix to cream the butter and cheese then add the lupin flour and spices. I do add 3 tbsp of water to the recipe to get it to come together more.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Originally, my dough was quite dry, almost powdery. I thought perhaps I'd added in too much of the flour, so I stirred in more cheese and butter until it was more dough-like. My crackers look very much like peanut butter crackers, only a little yellower. My son, who hates cheese and likes BG cookies, opened the bag which was sitting on the counter, and nearly gagged when he realized what they were. It was funny. I call my experiment cheese cookies. They're good sandwiched in between slices of pepperoni.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Originally, my dough was quite dry, almost powdery. I thought perhaps I'd added in too much of the flour, so I stirred in more cheese and butter until it was more dough-like. My crackers look very much like peanut butter crackers, only a little yellower. My son, who hates cheese, opened the bag which was sitting on the counter, and nearly gagged when he realized what they were. It was funny. I call my experiment cheese cookies. They're good sandwiched in between slices of pepperoni.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
Debbie,

I use my vitamix to cream the butter and cheese then add the lupin flour and spices. I do add 3 tbsp of water to the recipe to get it to come together more.
I wish I owned a vitamix, my large food processor did the trick, but next time I will add more liquid if I feel it needs it. I want a true cracker, not a cookie. I will make a 1/2 batch with a white mozzarella cheese, roll it out thinner and use a pizza cutter to make square crackers. I don't want any cheese taste,so I hope this works.

Debbie...
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 AM   #57
Yaz
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater Head View Post
I wish I owned a vitamix, my large food processor did the trick, but next time I will add more liquid if I feel it needs it. I want a true cracker, not a cookie. I will make a 1/2 batch with a white mozzarella cheese, roll it out thinner and use a pizza cutter to make square crackers. I don't want any cheese taste,so I hope this works.

Debbie...
Debbie, the Vitamix works great to really cream the butter and cheese together. I cut everything into cubes and let them get a little soft then whiz away. I add the flour, 3 tbsp of water and spices and use the tamper to kind of squish it together so that it doesn't fly all over the jug, then I turn the mixer on lowish and blend until smooth (it really only needs a minute. I find that my mix is very moist and greasy from the melted cheese.

I roll my dough out on parchment and cut with a pizza cutter, I like mine quite thin and find that my old gas oven needs about 14 - 15 minutes to bake them dark enough for me.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Just to say that I have a batch of the dough chilling in the fridge that I'm hoping to bake off no later than tomorrow (Saturday 11 Jan). Very interesting colour - I added some English Mustard and paprika and I may roll the outside of the crackers in blonde poppy seeds or black onion seed for added taste and texture.

I shall report back.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love love love these crackers. I always have a batch made. But they taste a lot like the cheese you use, so pick one you love.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
I had the oven on for other baking so I spread the bowl scrapings into a fairly thin cracker and baked it. DH is very pleased with it - so much so, I'm havering about slicing the log into thin crackers rather than thicker ones - maybe I'll try both and reserve the edgings for the thicker ones (I'll brush the outside of the log with eggwhite and roll in the seeds.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote