Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Thanksgiving Hits & Misses.... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/817820-thanksgiving-hits-misses.html)

Chocolate Rose 11-28-2013 07:50 PM

Thanksgiving Hits & Misses....

I'd love to know what LC recipes you made this year for Thanksgiving that were hits and which ones were misses. (I had to work today, and will be cooking tomorrow so will weigh in then.

What did you make this year?

eagle eye 11-28-2013 09:51 PM

Nancy's Mock Cornbread from Linda Sue site......Hit!!!!

Kevinpa LC Pecan Pie.......Hit
Mustard Greens and Smoked Neckbone......Hit
Zucchini Ground beef casserole......Hit
Chicken Tetrazzini w dreamfields pasta.......Hit
Honey glazed Ham...Hit

Biochic 11-29-2013 04:01 AM

I'm so glad you started this thread. I was coming here to post 2 very good substitutes.

First, LC stuffing using cabbage, sausage, onion, eggs...no bread at all. I found the recipe on here somewhere. It was amazing!!

Second, crustless pumpkin pie. I followed the recipe on a can of pumpkin and substituted truvia and vanilla divinci syrup for the sugar. It was perfect!

I have not mastered the LC cranberry sauce. Just didn't hit the right mark.

Chocolate Rose 11-29-2013 07:03 AM

WOW! Mostly hits so far! Thanks for sharing. This will help me plan the rest of the holidays this year and for next year.

Biochic, I'm always in charge of making the cranberry sauces and my family has 2 favorites. I still make them and just don't eat them. I'm not a huge fan of cranberry sauce, so I'm OK with that. Hope you find eventually find a sauce that works for you.
What was the name of the stuffing you made? I thought I had saved that recipe, but can't find it.

tinamanni 11-29-2013 08:58 AM

I made stuffing using Carolyn's almond and flax bread recipe (All day I dream about food) with my traditional celery onions and poultry seasoning and it was fabulous.

Catzmom 11-29-2013 10:04 AM

I was not all that impressed with the stuffing that made from my low carb bread. It took on an odd taste when it baked. I won't go near pork rinds so I will have to get creative there in the future. I will try Caroline's recipe. I love her website!

FitMommyNow 11-29-2013 10:12 AM

Made a coconut flour "cornbread" stuffing that was a disaster but my low carb cheesecake was fantastic.

nikkipowell 11-29-2013 12:18 PM

I made a LC Cranberry Sauce that was a big hit. I don't think anyone knew it was sugar free. I found the recipe in an Atkins cookbook.

Mrs. Binkums 11-29-2013 01:36 PM

OMG....made Buttoni's chocolate blk bean cake...the best chocolate cake I've ever had....Buttoni is a rock star in my house...btw her pancakes are awesome... I made a reduced sugar glaze for my baked ham, delish!!!!

rosethorns 11-29-2013 01:51 PM

I used my bone broth for gravy ....hit!
Turkey organic ......big hit!
Homemade stuffing from Chicken lady's cornbread recipe ....big hit!!!
crustless pumpkin pie ...always a hit!!
green beans with bacon, onions...hit!!!
jalapeno cranberry sauce from Charskis recipe...Hit!!

BIOCHIC----take your 12 oz. cranberries , 1 cup of water, 1 cup of sweetner your choice. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Amazing cranberry sauce. Works every time.

Biochic 11-29-2013 02:02 PM

Here's the original post for the stuffing

I found it:

These are in our permanent Thanksgiving menu:

Sausage Stuffing

Recipe By: Lisa Hunt
Categories: Beef/Pork

1 pound sausage -- seasoned
2 large onions -- finely chopped
3 stalks celery -- finely chopped (3 to 4)
2 tablespoons butter -- (2 to 4)
1 head cabbage -- finely chopped
15 ounces chicken broth -- canned
3 eggs -- beaten
Seasonings

This has all the taste of real stuffing, without the bread. You won't miss the bread and can "stuff" yourself as much as you like.

Saute your onion and celery in the butter. Add sausage, brown, crumbling the sausage finely. Let the oils and butter brown on the bottom of the pan to get that great carbonation flavor. Add seasonings you like such as thyme, oregano, pepper, salt, to taste. My sausage was preseasoned, so I just added pepper. Add cabbage and continue cooking. Add chicken broth to moisten as dish starts to get dry. I ended up using a whole can. Cook until cabbage is cooked and tender. Put in a 3-4 qt baking dish and add the eggs. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Actually we didn't have an oven when I made this and we cooked ours in the microwave for five minutes. You may need to adjust some things to get it the way you like dressing.

2486 Calories; 222g Fat (80.8% calories from fat); 83g Protein;
36g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 932mg Cholesterol; 4908mg Sodium.

Rose- that's what I did although I went a little lighter on the truvia. Way too tart:p next year I'm crankin' up the sugar substitute!!

Chocolate Rose 11-29-2013 08:04 PM

OK, for my day after Thanksgiving Thanksgiving dinner I tried 2 new recipes.
I made a prime rib that was wonderful, but didn't cook quite right. The recipe instructions were to cook the roast in a 500 degree oven for 5 minutes per pound and then turn the oven off and let it sit for an hour without opening the door. My roast was basically raw in the middle, but the outer parts were cooked just right. Now I need to figure out how to deal with the rest of the raw roast. Any suggestions?

I also made Widgets Stuffing. I was a bit leery of this, but with all the positive reviews, I really wanted to try it. I've never had stuffing with sausage in it so right off the bat that was weirdness for me. I only made half the recipe in case we hated it. Well, it was amazing! It had the taste and texture of what I remember my bread stuffing tasted like. It's been over 2 years since I've had regular stuffing, so maybe my memory is a bit off, but even dh loved it. I plan on making this for Christmas, too.

Chocolate Rose 11-29-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catzmom (Post 16700214)
I was not all that impressed with the stuffing that made from my low carb bread. It took on an odd taste when it baked. I won't go near pork rinds so I will have to get creative there in the future. I will try Caroline's recipe. I love her website!

Tinamanni and Catzmom, I also love Carolyn's blog. Thanks for the heads up on this recipe.
I really really liked the stuffing I made tonight, but will probably try this one, too.

Chocolate Rose 11-29-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitMommyNow (Post 16700219)
Made a coconut flour "cornbread" stuffing that was a disaster but my low carb cheesecake was fantastic.

Sorry your stuffing was a dud!
Did you use a specific cheesecake recipe that is fantastic? Before going lc, cheesecake was my "signature" dessert. I just haven't been very happy with any of the lc cheesecakes I've made. I mean, they're good, but they just haven't been "fantastic".

Chocolate Rose 11-29-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkipowell (Post 16700287)
I made a LC Cranberry Sauce that was a big hit. I don't think anyone knew it was sugar free. I found the recipe in an Atkins cookbook.

Good for you! It's always fun when no one knows it's sugar free.

Chocolate Rose 11-29-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Binkums (Post 16700336)
OMG....made Buttoni's chocolate blk bean cake...the best chocolate cake I've ever had....Buttoni is a rock star in my house...btw her pancakes are awesome... I made a reduced sugar glaze for my baked ham, delish!!!!

I've heard good things about that cake. I can't do beans or even a little sugar, so those are both out for me. Glad it worked out so well for you!

Chocolate Rose 11-29-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16700343)
I used my bone broth for gravy ....hit!
Turkey organic ......big hit!
Homemade stuffing from Chicken lady's cornbread recipe ....big hit!!!
crustless pumpkin pie ...always a hit!!
green beans with bacon, onions...hit!!!
jalapeno cranberry sauce from Charskis recipe...Hit!!

BIOCHIC----take your 12 oz. cranberries , 1 cup of water, 1 cup of sweetner your choice. Bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Amazing cranberry sauce. Works every time.

Esther, what do you use to thicken your gravy? I can't do any kind of grains or other item with carbs and have just about given up on making a good gravy.

Chocolate Rose 11-29-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biochic (Post 16700348)
Here's the original post for the stuffing

I found it:

These are in our permanent Thanksgiving menu:

Sausage Stuffing

Great! Thanks for reposting!
You know, looking at this recipe again, it looks like it could even work as a main dish. Kind of a Thanksgiving Crack Slaw!:lol:

Mrs. Binkums 11-29-2013 08:27 PM

oh Chocolate Rose, I'm sorry to hear that beans are a no no for you..I've heard good things about the ChickeLady's chocolate cake...gonna try that and her carrot cake for Christmas...maybe that would be a more agreeable recipe for you...best of luck to you and Happy holidays to you and yours :)

Chocolate Rose 11-29-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs. Binkums (Post 16700603)
oh Chocolate Rose, I'm sorry to hear that beans are a no no for you..I've heard good things about the ChickeLady's chocolate cake...gonna try that and her carrot cake for Christmas...maybe that would be a more agreeable recipe for you...best of luck to you and Happy holidays to you and yours :)

Is that chocolate cake the Almond Flour Fudge Cake? If so, I have made that. :) No carrot cake for me, though. I can't do carrots. I have to be extremely low carb.
Happy Holidays to you, too!!

watcher513 11-30-2013 02:34 AM

Just an FYI on Chicken Lady's carrot cake. I copied these numbers from one of the posts:

--------------
These numbers are from an online carb calculator
total carbs ....121
fiber..............63.5
total minus fiber..57.5

24 servings it would be 2.3 carb per serving (whole recipe).
------------

When I make it (9x13 pan) I cut it in 16 pieces and it works out to 3.6 carbs per piece.

rosethorns 11-30-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose (Post 16700596)
Esther, what do you use to thicken your gravy? I can't do any kind of grains or other item with carbs and have just about given up on making a good gravy.

Rose this is easy. No grains here either.I use bone broth and heat it slowly . I take a tsp of gaur gum or xanthan gum put on a plate. Then i take my fork and sprinkle on the top wait 15 to 30 seconds then whisk with a whisk until thicken.You can watch it disperse. I use as much as I need for the amount I'm making. Always start with a small amount of any of these thickeners.

I couldn't find my gluc so I used the gaur. It takes practice to get it right, cause it's not the way you use to do it.

Rose I know you can get this and it's awesome.

I eat organic turkey.

I forgot, I used turban squash and made lc "sweet potatoes" . Everybody thought they were sweet potatoes. YUM

I also don't use ground popcorn for my cornbread. I use ground baby corn. It's easier.

Chocolate Rose 11-30-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16700747)
Rose this is easy. No grains here either.I use bone broth and heat it slowly . I take a tsp of gaur gum or xanthan gum put on a plate. Then i take my fork and sprinkle on the top wait 15 to 30 seconds then whisk with a whisk until thicken.You can watch it disperse. I use as much as I need for the amount I'm making. Always start with a small amount of any of these thickeners.

I couldn't find my gluc so I used the gaur. It takes practice to get it right, cause it's not the way you use to do it.

Rose I know you can get this and it's awesome.

Thanks! I have both of those. Do you prefer one over the other. I'm going to give it a try at Christmas.
Your sweet "potatoes" and corn bread sound awesome.

Linnylamb 11-30-2013 09:16 AM

Gluten Free and Low Carb Hits:
Curried pecan and pear salad/Honey mustard dressing made w/walnut oil
Bacon and cheddar cheese soup
Turkey with wild mushroom gravy
Roasted veggies-Made more for dinner yesterday
Low carb truffles-All gone. Darn!!!!
Tooter's mini pecan pies

Things I didn't make (or eat ;))
SIL made roasted potatoes
BIL made cornbread stuffing (from the looks of the leftovers, a lot of others didn't eat this either :sick:)
SIL #2 made persimmon relish

Kind of proud that the low carb stuff I made had the fewest leftovers! Come to think of it, that means less left overs for me :cry:

jbatchelor 11-30-2013 09:53 AM

I made Chicken Lady's Carrot Cake-everybody loved it--without a doubt the best thing I have made to date that is low carb! and I used Char's recipe for the icing!

Terry-thanks for the carb count with the carrot cake-I have been eating a piece here, a piece there-it's way too easy to lose count!

I made somebody's green bean casserole-I forget whose recipe-not terrible but not a repeat for me-you had to fry the onions in almond flour first-that was just a step I didn't have time for and it really wasn't that great and creamy like I thought it would be? I will be looking.

rosethorns 12-01-2013 06:21 AM

Jeanne have you tried Dotties mushroom soup for recipes?If not here it is. When I made this everybody went crazy at how good it made the green beans. I didn't use the onions.
DOTTIE'S CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP FOR RECIPES
8 small mushrooms, chopped, 3 ounces
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 tablespoons onion, chopped, about 1 ounce
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
Xanthan gum, optional *

In a medium skillet, sauté the mushrooms, celery and onion in the butter until soft. Add the broth and cream. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat a bit and cook until reduced and thickened, stirring frequently and watching closely so it doesn't boil over. Season to taste.

Makes about 1 cup
Do not freeze

* If you have some xanthan gum on hand, you can very lightly sprinkle a little over the soup just as it starts to thicken and quickly stir it in, adding a little more if needed until the soup gets thick to your liking. You may need to let it stand a minute to let the xanthan gum start to work before adding more. I found that this addition helps to stabilize the soup. Another benefit of adding the thickener is that you won't have to reduce the broth and cream quite as much so you'll end up with more soup for no extra carbs.

Per batch: 873 Calories; 90g Fat; 8g Protein; 11g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 9g Net Carbs

This makes a very rich, tasty sauce that would be nice over all kinds of things, like chicken, meatballs, fish, vegetables etc. After adding the cream, make sure you simmer it long enough so that the cream is no longer white and takes on the light brownish color of the mushrooms. If you can afford the carbs, a few more mushrooms would be even better.

This is wonderful.This came from Linda Sues website.

jbatchelor 12-01-2013 01:48 PM

Esther-I will be using that the next time for sure-I hadn't seen that recipe or I would have used it for sure! thanks for sharing it--I will be printing it out now and keeping it in my file for reference and use-I should not have waited until Thanksgiving to try a new recipe-that was my fault-and the recipe wasn't that bad-I just didn't have time to deal with all the steps involved and it didn't have that creamy sauce I was expecting it to have with using whipping cream-my fault for not being prior prepared!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

rosethorns 12-01-2013 04:09 PM

Your very welcome. I tell everybody about that recipe. It's great in many casseroles.

ladeeda 12-02-2013 11:14 AM

Made mini cupcakes from Barbo's tweak of Jennifer's "Orange Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting". They were a huge hit with the extended family. They are hands down better than Pumpkin Roll and much easier to make. To whomever gave the suggestion to place pumpkin on 2 paper towels on a plate to drain a bit before using in baked products...I salute you. What a great idea.

cleochatra 12-02-2013 06:22 PM

My biggest miss in recent years: using oopsie rolls as bread for stuffing. It was just... ew...