Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Dreamchaser
Erythritol + Stevia peeps...could really use your help converting a dessert recipe!

Brownie Base:
½ cup butter
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
½ cup almond flour (Honeyville)
¼ cup cocoa powder
pinch salt
2 large eggs
¾ cup Swerve Sweetener or granulated erythritol
¼ tsp vanilla
¼ cup walnuts or pecans, chopped

Cheesecake Filling:
1 lb cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
½ cup Swerve Sweetener or granulated erythritol
¼ cup heavy cream
½ tsp vanilla extract

I use NuNaturals powdered stevia and I am still using a bottle that has the old formulation before they changed suppliers.

How much Erythritol+Stevia would you use for the brownie base?

And how much Erythritol+Stevia would you use for the cheesecake filling?

I am having a hard time trying to decide what to do. It's a lot easier when it's a whole cup and there is not chocolate involved!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Do you know the "sweetening factor" of the NuNaturals? I use their No Carbs stevia/erythritol blend - and what *I* would do with THAT - I'd use the amount of Swerve called for in erythritol, then I'd add enough of the NuNaturals to total the equivalent of the sugar. IOW, the erythritol is figured at roughly 70% sweetness as sugar, and probably the Swerve. So for the base, I'd use 3/4 cup of Erythritol and in the case of my No Carbs powder, I'd use about 1/4 teaspoon. I figure that a teaspoon of the No Carbs powder is roughly equal to a cup of sweetening power compared to sugar. Not sure about which powder you have though!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I have the old NuNaturals pure white stevia extract. I add 1/2 teaspoon of the NuNaturals per cup of erythritol. Then I just use that mixture in whatever amount is listed for erythritol alone.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 11-26-2013 at 06:46 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Do you know the "sweetening factor" of the NuNaturals? I use their No Carbs stevia/erythritol blend - and what *I* would do with THAT - I'd use the amount of Swerve called for in erythritol, then I'd add enough of the NuNaturals to total the equivalent of the sugar. IOW, the erythritol is figured at roughly 70% sweetness as sugar, and probably the Swerve. So for the base, I'd use 3/4 cup of Erythritol and in the case of my No Carbs powder, I'd use about 1/4 teaspoon. I figure that a teaspoon of the No Carbs powder is roughly equal to a cup of sweetening power compared to sugar. Not sure about which powder you have though!
Hi Char! I bought a brand new bottle of the NN no carb blend just for baking but then I found out they changed their formula.

So, I'll be using the pure powdered form of NN, without the fillers and not the lowcarb blend.

So, I was going to use the 3/4 cup of Ery for the brownie base and was trying to figure out the amount of stevia. Do you think the chocolate matters with the sweetener amount?

And then the filling only calls for a half of cup of Swerve. So I'll do 1/2 cup of Ery and then maybe only a pinch or a smidgen of stevia I guess.
Dreamchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I have the old NuNaturals pure white stevia extract. I add 1/2 teaspoon of the NuNaturals per cup of erythritol. Then I just use that mixture in whatever amount is listed for erythritol alone.
Thanks mistizoom. I do something like that too. But I'm trying to decide on the stevia since these amounts are less than a cup and one of them has chocolate.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamchaser View Post
Thanks mistizoom. I do something like that too. But I'm trying to decide on the stevia since these amounts are less than a cup and one of them has chocolate.
What I'm saying is mix up a couple of cups ahead of time, then measure out 3/4 cup and 1/2 cup of that for the recipe. You can use the rest in any other application that calls for erythritol or Swerve.

ETA: Not sure why chocolate would make a difference? There are issues sweetening chocolate with sucralose, not erythritol or stevia.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 11-26-2013 at 07:07 PM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
What I'm saying is mix up a couple of cups ahead of time, then measure out 3/4 cup and 1/2 cup of that for the recipe. You can use the rest in any other application that calls for erythritol or Swerve.

ETA: Not sure why chocolate would make a difference? There are issues sweetening chocolate with sucralose, not erythritol or stevia.
OK, I didn't realize the chocolate was only an issue with sucralose. That helps a lot and is good to know.

I'm not sure if I should use 1/2 teaspoon of stevia for this recipe though.
It might be too much.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Taste as you go, add more if needed. That's the best way. Remember too that often, baking dulls the sweetness a bit, so I usually make things just a tad sweeter than I want the end result.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #9

Thanks Charski and Misti. I appreciate your help!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #10

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Taste as you go, add more if needed. That's the best way. Remember too that often, baking dulls the sweetness a bit, so I usually make things just a tad sweeter than I want the end result.
I do this, too..
CarolynF is online now   Reply With Quote