Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
Changing Kevin's cake and cookie flour mix

Has anyone made Kevin's cake and cookie flour mix since the change in formula of the WPI 5000?. Now that it seems to be about twice as heavy, will it still work in the flour mix in the same amount or does it have to be changed? I want to make another batch and I don't know what to do about that. Also, if we do use half the amount of WPI 5000, should we up any of the other ingredients to make up the difference in the amount of mix the recipe makes? I hate to waste the ingredients for an 8 cup batch if I don't know what I'm doing! Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
I was thinking about this today too. If you post the mix, I will work on it for you tomorrow. I think you will have to use 1/2 as much 5000 and change the amount of mix you use in the recipes.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for answering drj...It's Kevin's final mix from the Cake or Cookie Flour mix thread, Post 136:

1 CUP LC BREAD FLOUR MIX
½ cup carbalose
¼ cup wheat protein isolate 5000
1 Tbs wheat protein isolate 8000
1.5 Tbs almond flour
1.5 Tbs Hi-Maize resistant corn starch 260
1.25 tsp not/Sugar

8 CUPS LC BREAD FLOUR MIX
4 cups carbalose
2 cups wheat protein isolate 5000
½ cup wheat protein isolate 8000
¾ cup almond flour
¾ cup Hi-Maize resistant corn starch 260
3 Tbs not/Sugar

I made this loaf of bread from that thread and really liked it:

2½ cups of the above LC Bread flour mix
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp honey
2 tsp instant yeast
1 cup warm water
1 tbls extra virgin olive oil
Mix and knead for 15 min. form loaf and let rise just until it reaches the top of the pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 min or until crust is golden brown. I brush top with butter 5 min before done.

I had to order more WPI 500 to make another batch and after reading about the change in it, I can see that it does seem different from the previous version.
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Judy, I use this mix and I had the same questions. I'm still using up the old formula WPI 5000 but I got some of the new stuff and ran a test. First I followed the recipe to make enough flour for the pita bread recipe, except that I used half the amount of the new WPI 5000 in place of the old. Then I shook it up good. And discovered to my surprise that it made exactly the same amount of flour. And then I used it to make buns. And they turned out great. Haven't run anymore tests but seems to me that you don't need to adjust the quantities of the bake mix in his recipes at all.
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

So, Linda, do you mean that if I make up the 8 cup mix with half the amount of WPI 500 and don't adjust any of the other ingredients, it will make up the same amount of total mix? And just use that bread recipe like I did before? BTW, Kevin referred to that as the same as the pita bread recipe. I have since tried one with the carbquik mix and one with the carbalose mix but with added egg and baking powder and didn't like the texture of the breads as well as that pita bread recipe. It's hard to understand how it could wind up the same amount but maybe the weight of the mix is the same and that's what makes the differece. Thanks for your info!
judytab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaSL
WOE: Just LC (carb counter)
Start Date: May 2011
Judy, I can't guarantee that making up the 8-cup recipe that way will yield exactly 8 cups, but it did work for making up 2 cups, at least for me, after shaking it up. Maybe something in the shaking expanded the volume. But since it worked to make the pita bread recipe, I don't see why it wouldn't work for other recipes. Try it and let us know!
LindaSL is offline   Reply With Quote