Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
WOE: Atkins
I want to buy myself an automated coffee machine - what do you use?

I'm tired of cleaning the espresso machine every day.

I'm looking at the Nespresso or the Keurig.. but not sure which brand to get.. or what model, either. It is just me in the house, and I used it probably once or twice each day.

Is there one that you use in your house or, perhaps one a friend / family member likes a lot? They are expensive and I want to be happy with my purchase, and don't want to have to buy another machine in a year because it broke.

Last edited by GingerAnn; 11-21-2013 at 09:33 AM..
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Stats: 228.5/189.9/150-160 LBM 125
Start Date: September 4, 2012
We resisted getting a Keurig for YEARS but finally picked one up last spring. We love it!!!! I order all of our pods directly from their site & accumulate points for discounts. I was able to purchase the smallest model for 50% off to take with us on vacation. I'm not familiar with the Nespresso machine, or their coffees but all of the Keurig ones that we've ordered (flavoured) are sugar/carb free.
PassionateFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
My dh has a Keurig and Loves it. We got a reuseable pod that you can use your own coffee. I think it is called Eco coffee at Safeway.

I have a Mr. coffee machine for my tea. Good machine it;s red.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
We've had two or three Keurigs and love them. We have a vacation house where we have the smallest one that does not have a water reservoir - whatever water you put in is what you get out - each time. That is good for a place that sits empty for months, but I would definitely want a water reservoir if you will use it even semi-regularly.

They do wear out and we recently had to replace one. The salesman talked us into buying one by Cuisinart because it has a larger reservoir. We like having the larger size, but honestly don't like it as much as the Keurig. For one thing, it takes longer to brew the first cup and sometimes I have to wiggle the reservoir before it will brew. Something I never had to do with the Keurig.

I think once you try the pods, you'll never go back. Also Keurig has an awesome variety of k-cup coffee.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #5

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I realize this is super unfashionable, but I suggest you TRY some instant coffees before you invest in a machine like this. If you like Starbucks, they make some, obviously. I prefer a lighter roast myself and like the regular Taster's Choice. They make a darker one too.

I used to be self conscious about this, but I have served it to guests who inevitably honestly seem surprised and say they will buy some themselves. worth giving it a shot if you haven't. it's SO convenient to nuke a cup of water and drop the coffee in. Fresh for every cup, never more than you need.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
Start Date: January 31, 2003
Just wanted to add that the pod machines are also great for company. No more having guests choose between caffeinated or decaffeinated. Everyone gets what they want. Apple cider, hot chocolate, tea??? - no problem. And people love to pick out their flavor and fix it themselves.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
Keurig. Love the K-cups for ease, but have gotten more into the flavored ground coffees, too, using the reusable pod. As mentioned, great when you have company - everyone can have their own flavor.

We've got a single one but have been wanting to get one that holds more water. Which means the one we have will never die.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
When I moved I bought a Keurig. Thinking it's just me, I don't need a coffee maker. I didn't like it at all! I realize I'm the minority here. But here's the thing with a Keurig at least for me. Each pod is about 1 Tablespoon of coffee. In most makers that's the amount for 6 oz of water. My mug holds about 12-14oz. Wasn't a good match. I could never get it to fill the whole cup. I would have to brew it twice.

So, I ended up getting rid of it and bought a kitchen aid coffee maker. I love it! I make two cups every morning and I actually get a whole mug of coffee, both times!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I love my Keurig. I use the k cups and also have the echo brew cup to use your own grounds. I have the model that gives you 5 cup sizes. The largest being 14 ounces, which is what I most always use.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:18 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shoo
Stats: 239/170/170
Start Date: June 2004
Devoted Keurig user here too

It's convenient to brew a fresh cup at a time and wonderful when entertaining. We had brunch here on the weekend, and I made a big pot of tea, and set up the coffee bar with several different coffee and hot chocolate options. DaVinci's syrups, cream, almond milk, sugar and sweetener, whipping cream,chocolate powder and cinnamon. We've got 2 machines,one for home and a small one when we travel. I have noticed that more hotels are providing keurigs in the rooms now
shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
So, I ended up getting rid of it and bought a kitchen aid coffee maker. I love it! I make two cups every morning and I actually get a whole mug of coffee, both times!
What size/kind of Kitchen Aid Coffee Maker did you buy? It's small enough that you can make only 2 cups at a time?
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SassySauce
Stats: 205/192/135
WOE: General LC
Start Date: Restart 10/13
I have a My Cafe Bunn. It has does pods, k-cups, tea bags, and hot water. It is great! It brews hot and can accommodate up to 14+ ounces. The pods (different from k-cups and are more eco friendly) are available in the grocery stores in limited variety but the big A has alot of variety. Good luck with your choice!
SassySauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirlc View Post
What size/kind of Kitchen Aid Coffee Maker did you buy? It's small enough that you can make only 2 cups at a time?
I have a little drip coffee maker in our RV that makes four actual, measured cups. That turns into two "cups" (read: giant mugs) of coffee for me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: syrasong
Stats: 268/265/168
Start Date: November 2013
I used to have a Bunn, and loved it. Lasted me 7 years, I think I paid $99.00 for it. Now that I'm on a budget I purchased a 12 cup Mr. Coffee with the automated timer from Walmart for $14.99, it does the job for me.
syrasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Loved our Bunns coffee makers

but they both burned out too soon.

I have an un-fancy 12 c. Mr. Coffee, got it from Big Lots for about 12 bucks.
It works great.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
We have a Mr. Coffee at the moment. It is OK. Our coffee makers have been short lived, so we keep buying a new model when necessary. After visiting our kids and enjoying their Keurig "View" coffee makers, we are seriously considering getting one. We waste way too much on left over perked coffee, and figure this might be the way to go now. The fresh perked coffee from the "View" is really good, and it is nice to have an assortment to pick from. The convenience, and quick brew is also a plus.
creativelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Sorry, it's been a busy weekend. I have the KCM1402. And yes, it does have the feature to just brew say, half a pot. I measured it and if I pour water in to the six cup line, I get exactly 2 big mugs of coffee. No waste at all. Plus it has a nice warming feature you can set for how warm and how long. I love it.

I really wanted to love the Keurig. Really. But it just didn't work right for me. What I truly do not understand is how 1tbs of coffee can make a 14oz mug of coffee. I really don't get it. Even using the k-cup use your own coffee thing, still wasn't 'right' to me. Like I mentioned, it never filled the mug, I had to use the large mug and the small cup setting to get one mug. Not worth the hassle for me.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creativelc
I received this info from DD today. She found out how to save $$$ using the Keurig View. She uses the SolofillV2 Refillable Gold-Plated Cup which she got from HSC. She played around with it, and uses her favorite coffee with the gold insert. For Hot chocolate, chai powder or tea bags, she uses the burgundy outer part. She said that this procedure saves $$$, and not much more work.
creativelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
I appreciate all the feedback. I like the idea of reusable pods. Will keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on cyber Monday
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:31 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tinamanni
Stats: 250/192/150
WOE: 80% fat
Keurig!! A secret most people don't know - you can register your Keurig on the Keurig website and you initially get a buy 2 get 2 free coupon (that's 100 cups for $30!) and then they randomly send you coupons in your e-mail. Also, when you buy your kcups through them you get special member prices with discounts that increase as you buy cups through them. You get free shippping over $45 and you get free kcups with every 6 boxes you buy
tinamanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Stats: 228.5/189.9/150-160 LBM 125
Start Date: September 4, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinamanni View Post
Keurig!! A secret most people don't know - you can register your Keurig on the Keurig website and you initially get a buy 2 get 2 free coupon (that's 100 cups for $30!) and then they randomly send you coupons in your e-mail. Also, when you buy your kcups through them you get special member prices with discounts that increase as you buy cups through them. You get free shippping over $45 and you get free kcups with every 6 boxes you buy
And you can always find a 10% off coupon code to use in addition to your member discounts It is so much cheaper to do it this way, especially in Canada where most stores sell the 12 packs for $9.99 and up (not to mention the number of flavours available on their site!)
PassionateFire is online now   Reply With Quote