Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cherrytt_too
Stats: 299.5/258/175
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2, 2006
Vital Wheat Gluten

What do you use it for, how much, and what does it do?
cherrytt_too is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I only use it for seasonal baking. Like the Hugs and Kisses Red Velvet cake for Christmas. Other than that , it sits on my shelf. I should get some more recipes.

I think it adds flour texture and come togetherness, without carbs. It's kinda gluey, so some low carb flours , like almond flour, that normally don't hold together would hold together better with this added.

Last edited by metqa; 11-20-2013 at 08:53 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #3

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Vital Wheat Gluten is fairly high in carbs. KevinPA shared in one of his posts that Wheat Protein Isolate 8000 works in a very similar way which has zero carbs as it is mostly fiber. For all baked goods I have ever used this in, all results have been exactly the same as using VWG. Try it and see.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #4

I guess I should have said , "without the carbs of regular flour". It still has some but is much lower than plain flour. Vital Wheat gluten is 6g of carbs per 1/4 cup, whereas White flour has 24g per 1/4cup. I'd say that's a SIGNIFICANT savings in carbohydrate by one quarter.
but it's not ZERO carbs, just lower carb.

If anyone has any other suggestions for using VWG, I'd like to know as well, because I don't have WPI 8000 and it's my understanding that WPI8K must be mixed with another WPI of a different grade( maybe 5000 ) in order to make a suitable flour mix, and I'm not ready to buy a bunch of new stuff right now, especially since I've also heard they've changed the formula of one of them so it's not the same ratios....
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
Old 11-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
I guess I should have said , "without the carbs of regular flour". It still has some but is much lower than plain flour. Vital Wheat gluten is 6g of carbs per 1/4 cup, whereas White flour has 24g per 1/4cup. I'd say that's a SIGNIFICANT savings in carbohydrate by one quarter.
but it's not ZERO carbs, just lower carb.

If anyone has any other suggestions for using VWG, I'd like to know as well, because I don't have WPI 8000 and it's my understanding that WPI8K must be mixed with another WPI of a different grade( maybe 5000 ) in order to make a suitable flour mix, and I'm not ready to buy a bunch of new stuff right now, especially since I've also heard they've changed the formula of one of them so it's not the same ratios....
I personally use the WPI 8000 in Jennifer Eloff's original Splendid Bake mix (not the GF) This recipe calls for Vital wheat Gluten and I always use the WPI 8000 and never use the 5000 except when I made the KevinPA's mix. It works great! You won't miss that you did not use the VWG.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #6

I can't find the original recipe, so all I see if the GF one with coconut flour and gelatin.

Well, I also don't have coconut flour,so thats still two ingredients extra I'd have to buy, plus I personally don't know if I can handle coconut flour, seeing as how I loath coconut meat in any form fresh or dried. I'm afraid I'll buy an expensive bag of this stuff and not be able to enjoy the finished product. I guess I could always pawn it off on my coconut loving mother if I didn't like it! LOL but she wouldn't use the GF mix cause SDad doesn't do gelatin. I think If I do use a flour blend it will have to be KevinPa's and I'm still not ready for that commitment.

Well, I've got WPI8K on my netrition list, just hesitant to get it, as I don't do much baking anyway. Flour based recipes generally HATE me, so I've been sticking to almond flour "breads", bean breads, cheesecakes, oopsies, cookies and candies and such stuff that doesn't require flours. I only make the Hugs and kisses for end of year feasts and that calls for Oat flour
Old 11-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I use it to make bread in my bread machine, but I also use sprouted/dehydrated/ground whole wheat in it - so it's not technically low-carb - but it also doesn't raise DH's blood sugars like normal flour does.

The vital wheat gluten, in this case, adds "stretchability" to the whole wheat flour, which doesn't have as much gluten as bread flour does. Adding the VWG allows the yeast gas to be trapped, therefore making the bread rise. I use 3 tablespoons per 2.5 cups of the sprouted wheat flour for each loaf.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #8

Jen Eloff's Low carb bake mix (original)

1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup plain whey protein
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten (I use wheat protein islolate 8000)
Old 11-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeeterN View Post
Jen Eloff's Low carb bake mix (original)

1 2/3 cups ground almonds
2/3 cup plain whey protein
2/3 cup vital wheat gluten (I use wheat protein islolate 8000)
I can handle that.

Charski, that's good to know. That's what I thought it did, but I gave up trying to make "regular" bread long ago. knowing that it can make heartier grains give rise is helpful for experimenting. I gave some to my mom and she doesn't know what to do with it, but since she's still making bread like sourdough and stuff, i can tell her to use the VWG to make a hold the air better.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #10

Can that mix be used to make pie crust similar to the ones they sell in the supermarket refrigerators?
Old 11-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #11

New twist to a low carb pie crust

This was very close to traditional pie crusts but I used carbquik and Jennifer Eloff bake mix.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
back in my vegan days, I used to make seitan with VWG. You mix it with water, then knead it under running water until all the starch is washed out. Then you have a firm, stretchy protein that you can cook in various broths to make meat analogs.

Once I went low-carb, I experimented with lots of sourdough recipes, using VWG and other flours (Kevinpa's mixes) and switched to the WPI 5000 and 8000 formulations. Like others, I think the 8000 behaves much like VWG, only it has a better taste. Both DH and I preferred my low-carb sourdoughs over the regular white flour ones!

Let us know if you find some good ways to use your VWG in Jennifer Eloff's baking mixes, etc.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote