Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Freezing cranberrys? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/817378-freezing-cranberrys.html)

COOLCRUISER 11-20-2013 06:23 PM

Freezing cranberrys?

The only time I can buy cranberrys is this time a year. I always buy a couple of extra bags, gone by Jan. Any way planning on getting srveral bags tommarrow. Can I just leave them in bags. Or should put them in baggies and try to squeez more air out? I dont have vacume bag.

dianafoot 11-20-2013 06:27 PM

I have just stuck them in the freezer in their original bags. Last week I got a bag out of the freezer from last January (10 months later) and made them into dried cranberries in the oven and they were great!

at_last 11-20-2013 06:41 PM

Agree with Dianafoot - cranberries freeze great. I freeze them in the original bag with no problems. Stock up and freeze them!

rosethorns 11-20-2013 07:01 PM

This is when I buy them. I eat alot of cranberries and always freeze them.

Mistizoom 11-20-2013 07:03 PM

I freeze them in the original bag also.

sligh 11-20-2013 08:03 PM

Whole Foods has them in the frozen section year round.

metqa 11-20-2013 08:53 PM

They don't burst or turn to mush after having been frozen? I've wanted to make dried cranberries, but feared they would be just a ball of mush if I froze them to make it later...

Charski 11-21-2013 10:25 AM

They'll be fine for whatever use you want to make of them. I always buy extra and throw 'em straight into the freezer this time of year.

metqa 11-21-2013 11:34 AM

Yahoo! I really needed to know that! Sometimes it's months before I can get around to making dried candies and stuff and they don't last that long in the fridge.

COOLCRUISER 11-21-2013 02:23 PM

Thanks to everyone. Bought extra 10 bags to freeze + the 6 I will use next week.

Mistizoom 11-21-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COOLCRUISER (Post 16692054)
Thanks to everyone. Bought extra 10 bags to freeze + the 6 I will use next week.

Wow! Recipes, please?!?

PaminKY 11-22-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metqa (Post 16691166)
They don't burst or turn to mush after having been frozen? I've wanted to make dried cranberries, but feared they would be just a ball of mush if I froze them to make it later...

They are soft and mushy after freezing. I bought extra bags last year and froze them to make dried cranberries with after the holdidays and I was disappointed.

I don't like the seeds in my dried cranberries so I slice them in half and shake out what seeds I can then I put them in a sieve and shake over the garbage can to remove even more seeds. The frozen ones after thawing were too soft and mushy to do this and I ended up making some cranberry sauce with them but I could detect the seeds in it and didn't like it.

If you don't have a problem with the seeds like me then they are fine to use after freezing. I'm going to buy a few bags in the next week or so and make my dried cranberries while they're fresh.

metqa 11-22-2013 11:37 AM

Okay PaminKY, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW. I do the same thing, I slice them and shake the seeds out. One of these days I'm gonna plant a bunch and see what happens. I guess I should plan to prep several bags while they are still in season. I don't mind the seeds in the sauce, but not in the individual dried berries.
Thanks so much for the anecdote!!:hugs:

Maybe I'll do that task while I'm on holiday. If I've got my hands in cranberries, then they are not picking up snacks! A few raw cranberries will cure any cravings! LOL