Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Pressure Cooker Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/817316-pressure-cooker-recipes.html)

Iwantlessofme 11-19-2013 02:56 PM

Pressure Cooker Recipes

My Mom bought me a pressure cooker and I have never used one. I would like to know if there are currently any pressure cooker recipe threads or if anyone has any recipes they would like to share? I am thinking that this could make LCing easier is that the case?

Thank you,
Mindy

mojocat 11-19-2013 04:11 PM

..Bumping....
I have one on lay-away and debating whether to cancel it or not, it doesn't seem as if many people use them anymore and go for crock pots and slow cookers instead. I hope someone can chime in.

Charski 11-19-2013 07:19 PM

Here's a start for you:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...r-recipes.html

I LOVE mine. I have two 8 quart digital electric PCs, one 6 quart stovetop, and a 22 quart pressure canner. I love them all.

Any recipe that can be made in the crockpot can basically be made in the pressure cooker, as long as there is at least 1/2 cup of liquid.

I highly recommend Lorna Sass's pressure cooker cookbooks, and if you do an internet search for "pressure cooker recipes" you'll find all KINDS of them.

KCSoccer 11-20-2013 06:09 AM

This is an old favorite from my pre-LC days. It's easy to adapt to LC (see my notes in italics). I believe it's from an old Cooking Light magazine.

Savory Braised Pork

3 lbs Boston Butt pork roast
2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (olive oil or coconut oil)
Cooking spray
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
4 garlic cloves, minced
16 ozs chicken broth (16-ounce) less-sodium chicken broth
2 pounds red potatoes, quartered (replace with lower-carb veggie such as rutabaga or red radishes or omit)
2 cups sliced carrot (1-inch-thick) (I usually include this since I'm in maintenance but you can omit)

Trim excess fat from pork. Combine paprika and next 5 ingredients (paprika through mustard); rub pork with paprika mixture. Heat oil in a 6-quart pressure cooker coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add pork; brown on all sides. Remove from pan; set aside. Add leek and garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Return pork to pan; spoon leek mixture over pork. Close lid securely; bring to high pressure over high heat (about 3 minutes). Adjust heat to medium or level needed to maintain high pressure; cook 45 minutes. Remove from heat; place pressure cooker under cold running water. Remove lid; stir in potatoes and carrot. Close lid securely; bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust heat to medium or level needed to maintain high pressure; cook 15 minutes. Place cooker under cold running water. Remove lid; remove vegetables and pork from pan. Cut pork into 1/4-inch-thick slices; discard the bone.

starry sky 11-24-2013 02:09 PM

I use mine a lot! It's an 8qt electric one. You can do so many things with them and they cook food super fast!
I make hard boiled eggs in 6-7 minutes and the shells slide right off.
Spaghetti squash, artichokes, sweet potatoes, ribs, roast, chicken cook in minutes.
Do a search for 'pressure cook hard boiled eggs' and you'll get a site dedicated to recipes just for pressure cookers.

Pam 11-26-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starry sky (Post 16695117)
I use mine a lot! It's an 8qt electric one. You can do so many things with them and they cook food super fast!
Spaghetti squash, artichokes, sweet potatoes, ribs, roast, chicken cook in minutes.
Do a search for 'pressure cook hard boiled eggs' and you'll get a site dedicated to recipes just for pressure cookers.

How do you keep the eggs from cracking? Do you have a low setting on yours? My electronic pressure cooker cooks by time only.

mojocat 11-26-2013 04:46 PM

I saw a video on Internet of a guy making a chicken but it was too pale looking for me. Yes the meat was falling off the bone and it looked so tender but I love my crispy skin chicken :(

Iwantlessofme 12-04-2013 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starry sky (Post 16695117)

Yes, please share how to make the eggs.

starry sky 12-07-2013 09:48 PM

Hard boiled eggs:

I put a rack in my pressure cooker and then use silicon muffin cups to keep the eggs from touching each other. Just set the time for 6-7 minutes depending on how hard they need to be, and release the steam once done. It works great and I can fit 1 dozen in at a time.