Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Iwantlessofme
Stats: Well on my way to fantastic!!
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: Every single day, day in day out
Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer and Attachments

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays,

Ok, I am going to give this a try. I don't usually receive much response when I post, but what the heck. I am asking for a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer for Christmas. I would like to know what all of you make with your mixers. And what attachments I may need, if any.

What low-carb recipes do you make with it?

What attachments do you use for low-carb?

I want to take it out of the box and get low-carbing with it! I never ask for anything for Christmas, so this is big. I would really appreciate any answers and recipes you have for me. Feel free to share anything and everything. Nothing is off limits, induction, Atkins, Low-carb, anything, really, anything would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Mindy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ASHLEY2HAWAII
Stats: 196/183/125
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: RESTART 7-8-14
I love mine! I use it for making those oopsie rolls it whips egg whites so well. I also use it to make bread with the dough hook, I hate kneading by hand. The only attachment I have is the sausage grinder and extruder so I can make home made sugar free sausage. I wanted to get the pasta roller, but would not use it much. I think it would be fun to have the ice cream maker attachment. I would also recommend getting a second bowl, I want to get the glass bowl for it.
Good luck, and have lots of fun with it.
ASHLEY2HAWAII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Ashley2Hawaii,

Do you have a recipe by chance for the sausage?

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantlessofme View Post
Ashley2Hawaii,

Do you have a recipe by chance for the sausage?

Mindy
The time I made it I used an Italian sausage kit from bass pro shop. It had the casings and everything in it. It was really good and used 25 lbs of pork butt. I also used Linda Sue's sausage recipes on her website. I bet if you start a thread on here for homemade sausage you would get a good variety. It really is fun to have the grinder attachment, I love ground chicken breast and ground turkey breast, but it is so expensive to buy. It is great for ground pork for meat balls etc.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Mine isn't Kitchenaid, but I use it a lot...forgot the brand name though.
It makes life easier when you have to mix things for more than a couple of minutes.

When I make pizza dough (not LC), I use it to knead the dough.

I have a new Kitchenaid Food Processor though and it's a dream. Worth every penny.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I love my stand mixer - but these days I use it mostly with the grinder attachment to make my own ground meats. Ground beef, ground pork, ground turkey, whatever. I can control the amount of fat and other "stuff" that goes in it, by which I mean, I don't PUT other "stuff" in it - I don't know what-all the butchers may put in the ground meat at the store!

I love sausage patties, just season up the ground pork (there are lots of recipes on line) and fry 'em up.

Ashley, I was thinking about getting the sausage stuffer attachment, but it had pretty awful reviews on Amazon - tell me how you liked using it?

Another attachment I'd like to have is the ice cream maker, but you have to plan ahead and freeze the bowl - not sure I'd do that, as I'm more a "spur of the moment" cook!

The meat grinder I have came with the pasta extrusion set. Haven't used it yet but just might soon.

I did buy the juicer, which works fine, and also the salad shredder with the various discs, which is kind of a pain in the butt, as far as I'm concerned. It's easier to use my Cuisinart food processors for shredding and slicing.

I USED to make bread with the KA but now I have two Zojirushi bread makers so use those.

It's great for cookie dough and batters of any kind, eggwhites, mixing up meatloaf or sausage, etc.

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Iuse it to make oopsies,whiped cream, puddings and mouse...I use it at least 3 times a week.
The suggestion for getting another bowl is good also the splash sheild comes in handy.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
I love my stand mixer - but these days I use it mostly with the grinder attachment to make my own ground meats. Ground beef, ground pork, ground turkey, whatever. I can control the amount of fat and other "stuff" that goes in it, by which I mean, I don't PUT other "stuff" in it - I don't know what-all the butchers may put in the ground meat at the store!

I love sausage patties, just season up the ground pork (there are lots of recipes on line) and fry 'em up.

Ashley, I was thinking about getting the sausage stuffer attachment, but it had pretty awful reviews on Amazon - tell me how you liked using it?

Another attachment I'd like to have is the ice cream maker, but you have to plan ahead and freeze the bowl - not sure I'd do that, as I'm more a "spur of the moment" cook!

The meat grinder I have came with the pasta extrusion set. Haven't used it yet but just might soon.

I did buy the juicer, which works fine, and also the salad shredder with the various discs, which is kind of a pain in the butt, as far as I'm concerned. It's easier to use my Cuisinart food processors for shredding and slicing.

I USED to make bread with the KA but now I have two Zojirushi bread makers so use those.

It's great for cookie dough and batters of any kind, eggwhites, mixing up meatloaf or sausage, etc.
I had no problems with the sausage stuffer, it worked great, but now more than anything I just use the sausage in patty form or browned loose like.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Dana Carpender's Peanut Butter Silk Pie. The first time I made it I almost burned out my hand held electic mixer trying to mix up the 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of cream cheese adn 1 cup of granular Splenda along with whatever else the ingredients are. What a difference the KA stand mixer is compared to the other alternatives. No comparison.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carbkinky
Stats: 138/159/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2004 rollercoaster
meat

I like to use the dough hook for meatloaf and ham salad. I also like to make deviled eggs with the silicone paddle...so creamy!
carbkinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
I like mine. I got most of the attachments, but rarely use them. Like Char said, you have to pre-freeze the ice cream maker. That takes planning and room in the freezer. I use the wire whip attachment and got a paddle that has the silicone edges on it. Cleans, the bowl better. Definitely get a second bowl. I use them both all the time. Then you can still make stuff without having to stop & wash it out.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
Bread, cakes, cookies, Maria's caramel "popcorn", grind meats, shred vegetables and cheeses, slice vegetables, make cauliflower mashed potatoes, noodles, and and and......
Use it everyday. Have most attachments. Forgot I use it to juice vegetables for canning, mostly tomatoes with the strainer attachment. Only Attachment I don't have is the ice cream. Have cuisine art one. Use all of them sometime during the year. Not using the pasta attachments as much anymore but still occasionally use that. Think about what you want to cook and which attachments will help you do those thongs and get them first. I agree a second bowl is the first addition to get.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sharkini
Stats: 289/273/199 for now
WOE: JUDDD - lots of veggies
Start Date: 10/4/13
I my KitchenAid!

Cheesecake
Mousse
Whipped cream
Oopsie rolls
Regular dough for pizza and bread
Cheesecake
Enchilada wraps
Ice cream
Cheesecake - LOL
sharkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you for your responses. Ok, so it sounds like I need a second bowl first thing. And apparently some counter space to leave it out to use it all the time.

Mindy
Iwantlessofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Watching this thread with interest as I am hoping for a KA mixer for Christmas too!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Hope I am not hijacking your thread Iwantlessofme, just also wanted to ask folks, can I ask what size bowls, wattage most people have? It seems like 4.5 quart and 325 watts is the least expensive. For the uses people have described, would you need a bigger bowl or more power than that? TIA!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Love mine!!! Best egg white whipper/oopsie roll maker ever! Also works perfectly for whipped cream but I have a canister style cream whipper that I use now.

I like the sausage grinder attachment!

I make everything that needs mixing in it or my Kitchen Aid food processor. Couldn't live without them!

I second getting the paddle with the scraper edges. We got our generic one off of ebay.
JHoberer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:45 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Alex, in a word no. You really don't need the bigger one. But, [I]wanting[/] it is a different story! To do all of what has been mentioned the smaller one works fine.

Maybe Charski or one of the other ladies can relate on the grinder etc. But I have found the smaller one up for everything mentioned here.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
I've had the 4.5 quart model for a couple of years in May and it works just fine for me. If someone baked All the time and did Quantities of things often, then I could see getting a larger one but for me, I sure wouldn't need it. I got mine at Costco. They kept dropping the price every so often over a month or 2 and I snagged it. Within 2-3 weeks they dropped it another $20 and I ended up getting the difference back.

Later on I did get the meat grinder on sale and a 3 qt. bowl for an extra one, then last year I got that new scraper paddle.

Last edited by watcher513; 11-20-2013 at 12:38 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote