Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jendubz
Stats: 171/171/130
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2011
Moms...do you cook two suppers?

So Moms, do you cook two suppers for your family? Our kids are pretty picky when it comes to veggies. What are some kid friendly low carb meals that you cook for your family? I really don't want to cook two different things. Plus I'd like my kids to eat as healthy as possible.
jendubz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jendubz
Stats: 171/171/130
Start Date: Feb 2011
Oops! Can I get this moved to low carb recipes and suggestions? Sorry!
jendubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
I don't have kids but we grew up on the same meals that my parents ate.

We were expected to sit at the dinner table with grownups and eat the same meals - meat/fish, cooked vegetable, salad, and a small portion of starch. My mom would have never cooked two meals. And, I am so glad that she taught us this because I am such a huge veggie eater and never really developed a taste for junky processed foods or sodas.

I think the best thing you can do is model good eating behavior and make sure that water is their main drink.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I use to add a carby side but haven't felt the need in a very long time. There is no such thing as an essential carb so nutritionally, so they are completely unnecessary.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
In general, I don't. DH and I both eat low carb, so I sometimes let my son have an extra side dish that is quick & easy, or make him a salad or something if I have a veggie side dish he doesn't like (which is pretty much all of them). But we all eat the same main meal 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time I might make some modification for him.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mjgh06
Stats: F42/5'8 - 207/162/130
WOE: Atkins Induction/Juddd Modified
Start Date: 10/5/13
Whatever I cook everyone eats. No special sides or meals. I look at this way, if I really believe I am eating healthy, why would I want them to eat unhealthy.
mjgh06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgh06 View Post
Whatever I cook everyone eats. No special sides or meals. I look at this way, if I really believe I am eating healthy, why would I want them to eat unhealthy.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gardengoddess
Stats: 199 highest/187/157 current/130 5'2
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 9/5/2013
I made a list of the veggies that The Picky One does like, and a list of ones my husband and I like, and I pick one from his list and one from ours. I did include potatoes and corn on his list though, I just don't eat them.
gardengoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Don't have kids but i make two different meals because i have the time, if i didn't have time i'd make the same thing for both of us, or he could fend for himself lol. Theres very few thing we can both eat because we like really different things, deciding on one dinner can be like a hostage negotiation with my husband demanding a pizza before he's prepared to discuss releasing the bread *sigh*

Last edited by sheened; 11-15-2013 at 12:25 PM..
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
In our family, someone cooks and everyone eats. We don't allow picky eaters.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
Absolutely not! DS has always eaten what we eat. We do have a rule that he must at least try it and if he truly doesnt like it then he get something like sliced cukes, tomatoes, carrots & hummus, yogurt and fruit, crackers w/ pb, something along those lines that can just be pulled from the fridge in an instant.

I make what I want and add a starchy side for DH and DS. Usually baked potato, rice or pasta, warm up some tortillas, easy stuff. I only make enough for them so I am not tempted.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I make two meals, yes. For every meal. It's really easy - the one for my family, and my own food. I'd say I spend ten minutes a day on my own - max. I eat simply - chopped veggies, can of sardines, hardboiled eggs, sliced cheese, nuts, charcuterie, bit of chocolate, a coffee drink, broiled steak, coconut shreds, what have you. I don't use recipes for low carbing, by and large, because it generally puts carbs and calories way too high for my satiety, and takes too much time. A bunch of individual items, simple and appreciated for what they are, keeps me on track better and is thoughtlessly easy to prepare.

So I cook three to four meals a day - but none of them are mine. My own food is prepared, yes, but rarely involves much prep or cooking beyond the basics. Seasoned and delicious, sure, but not a lot of ingredient combining. Trying to shoehorn low carb substitutes for normal recipes for my family is unnecessary (they're normal weight and have no metabolic issues), expensive (feeding six people low carb instead of one), and not appreciated (they like their side of starch with a roast and greens). It's no burden and one of the key reasons I haven't regained - I do low carb and I do it as easily and nutritiously as possible. My family eats whole foods and we do THAT as easily and nutritiously as possible, too.

The diets look differently but neither is difficult to accommodate - basic, grandma-approved recipes for the kids and husband (crockpot porridges, fried eggs, soups, sandwiches, meats with sauces, sliced fruit and steamed veggies, etc), and a variety of delicious munchies for me. Voila and done!

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
I should add I am the antithesis of a short order cook. My kids eat their porridge/eggs/cottage cheese breakfasts without complaint. Lunch is a fruit/veggie/main item combo. Dinner is a fruit/veggie/main item combo, too, though it often includes a starch. They have no input and no alternative options. I make a menu for the evening meals every two weeks and prepare accordingly (breakfasts and lunches are standard rotation).

It is my own food that is different, not the kids. Last night they sat down with carrots, apples, and pizza (Thursday is Pizza night). I had a rotisserie chicken (one of my favorite convenience foods) with hot sauce. That's not exactly preparing two different meals or specialty feeding the kiddos. They eat what I put in front of them, because I'm the mom and know better than they what a suitable diet for their bodies is. Ditto me - my body has different needs than theirs, so I fuel mine accordingly. Everyone else in the family is normal and needs no accommodating.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shipshemom
Stats: 131/110 (5'0)
WOE: VLC/Maintenance
Start Date: Jan., 2011
I used to make 2 suppers since I'm the only one who eats LC. My own suppers were always simple: meat & veggies. Then I figured out something even simpler. I swapped my salad I used to eat for lunch for my meat/veggie supper. I make a big bowl of salad ahead of time & only have to dish it out after I've made my family's supper. I lose better by eating my bigger meals earlier in the day & a light supper.
shipshemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
First, my DH is the cook in my family. You can't safely assume it's mom's doing the cooking anymore.

I eat differently than everyone else, although we all eat pretty much healthfully--grass fed meat, lots of organic veggies. But I don't eat starchy stuff, and if the main part of the meal is going to have carbs (spaghetti, for example) he'll set aside some sauce for me and I either eat it plain or on some of the veggies.

Our kids are fairly good at eating everything (except liver, and the oldest doesn't like lamb). We always have turkey sausages in the freezer, so a kid who isn't pleased with the protein may make HERSELF a sausage (we don't play short order cook since they are old enough to do this themselves!). On lamb or liver nights DH will fix a different protein for them.

My kids eat the veggies FIRST--they love them and often ask for seconds. The older one is 21 now and living at home while attending university. She has gotten more picky in her old age, and she's a devout pastatarian. So sometimes she doesn't eat the main entrée and will fix herself noodles later in the evening. My little one (age 13) will eat just about everything.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
The only time I make a totally separate meal is when it's a one pot dish and my DD and I can't eat. She has to be GF and DF so we eat similar meals at dinner time. Tonight was one of those nights. My husband had brought home a beautiful homemade chicken pot pie that someone had given him as a gift. My husband and parents ate that, and I fixed my DD and I ribeyes and brussel sprouts. Everyone was happy. Usually I just try to make things simple by doing a met, veggie, and then add in the carby stuff for the rest of the family. It's only a pain sometimes.

Dieting is hard;being fat is hard; choose your hard.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I plan a basic meat and 2 low-carb vegetable dinner. Then add some rice, potatoes, or bread for DH and for the grandkids. So dinner is the same for everybody, I just don't eat the starches.

When my own kids were growing up, everybody got the same dinner, you could just choose to eat as much or as little of your portions as you wanted. Dessert wasn't a given, but it was a special and rare treat, not connected to mealtime. That's the way my own parents did it--there was never even a hint of accommodating individual "tastes" and preferences in the '50's. For the most part, my family ate whole, unprocessed, local food.

Last edited by dianafoot; 11-15-2013 at 06:41 PM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mom2AandE
Stats: 237/177/140
WOE: Low Carb-due to PCOS
Start Date: May 25, 2013
Yes I do most nights. I make dinner for my hubby and kids, which can include high carb items. I am working on getting the carbs down in the house. For example, I no longer make a bread to serve. I do make rice and noodles for them. I make something different for me.

It is actually liberating to do it this way. I can do whatever I want for myself without having to worry what my family will eat. I feed them first and then do my own thing. It's working. I am down almost 50 pounds and everyone is happy.

My son is very picky and sometimes won't eat what I make. He then makes something he will eat himself. He is 15 so I don't mind. He has to learn to fend for himself sometime.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I cook two meals most of the time...no kids, but I am a vegetarian and my wife isn't and I eat LC and she doesn't, but it helps when she likes the LC stuff I make. So mostly, it's the meat entree for her and a meatless one for me and she eats potatoes, etc. and I skip them.

It was always 2 different meals for us though, from the beginning...we just like different things.

The funniest thing is that at times she wants what I'm eating because she feels mistreated. I laugh cuz she eats like a queen. I would like her to eat healthier and I have finally gotten her to do a 90 day health challenge with me starting January. I have high hopes.

Last edited by Nigel; 11-15-2013 at 06:50 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RoseofSharon
Stats: 140/118/118
WOE: lc with my own tweaks
Start Date: summer 2006
I started by cooking different dinners, as I have special needs kids that had some serious food issues for a time (I adopted from foster care, and two have sensory issues). I believe baby steps are best, when it comes to kids. I didn't want to make food a battle-field, and mine had enough to deal with anyhow.

Over time, I worked out the following plan: I post a supper menu every day on the fridge. It announces the time of supper and what we are having. I try to include one item they all like, such as a fresh fruit salad, which I make with fresh fruit and greek yogurt. I then add a dish I can and will eat. Tonight it was leftover ham cooked with an alfredo sauce. I served mine over cooked cabbage. They had theirs over whole wheat angel hair. I usually have a third dish, something easy, like peas or salad.

The rule is during dinner these are their choices. Since there is always a dish they all like, this works. If all they want to eat is one thing from the menu, fine by me. But I do not cook anything that is not on the menu. IMO parents often get too involved in what their kids are eating. The kids pick it up and it becomes a power struggle.

I keep mostly healthy items on hand for snacks. They have learned how to scramble themselves a few eggs, or make toast, or slice an avocado. When I buy treats I don't get ones I like, so I won't be tempted.

My teenagers really like the posted menu. My teen son sometimes calls from school to ask what is on the menu...then he decides if he wants to invite friends over!

None of my kids have weight problems.
RoseofSharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SitLongTalkMuch
Stats: 164.8/138.0/???
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: 02/21/13
No I only cook one meal. I do bake a few sweet or white potatoes if they want them or very occasionally cook some rice or bake a loaf of regular bread.

But to be totally honest my kids are teens and not picky at all and never have been. We live on a farm and have a very large garden, chickens, raise beef so they have never really known any different.

We all pretty much eat the same thing.
SitLongTalkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SitLongTalkMuch
Stats: 164.8/138.0/???
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: 02/21/13
Oops forgot to answer about kid friendly meals. Pretty much any casserole from Linda Sue's site my kids gobble up. They especially like the White Castle casserole, Mexican spinach w/ ground beef, mockafoni & cheese. They have liked every recipe I've made from her site. But no picky eaters here (thankfully!!!).
SitLongTalkMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Portia
Start Date: May 1, 2014
Nope - just one. Our little guys are growing and need to *add* weight, so some starchy foods are just fine for them. They're very lean and growing like weeds.

I make one meal that includes protein and I just skip the starches myself. So, I have my bolognase sauce over spaghetti squash or zoodles, my fish with veggies, hold the rice etc.

I believe that whole, natural unprocessed foods are best for everyone but I don't believe low carb is best for everyone. I stick with things that don't come in a box and that works for us.

Once a week, my kids can pick whatever dinner they want, boxed or what have you. DH and I have leftovers or protein shakes. Surprisingly, they want the junk less and less. Last time they asked for my teriyaki chicken drums!

My own mother was very restrictive with food and that had consequences for me that I would like to avoid with the boys, so we're taking a different approach of 80/20 and it seems to be working well.

Portia's Journal
Portia is offline   Reply With Quote