Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Asian Pork Patties with Dipping Sauce

These were basically my understanding of what goes into the filling of my beloved Pot Stickers at Chinese restaurants, but low carbers can’t have the dumplings. But I’ve found a way to have this tasty dish without the high-carb noodle wrapper they are usually made with. Instead, I made a batch of very small simmered dumplings that I make with glucomannan powder and ate them “along with” the meat and dipping sauce. I would have sworn I was eating real steamed dumplings!! So good!! I tried a bit of red bell pepper in my meat, but thought it conflicted with the other flavors and will definitely not put that in them next time. For this reason, I am not including the red bell pepper in the recipe below. This recipe is suitable for all phases of Atkins, Keto diets and Primal-Paleo if you omit the peanut butter in the sauce and use coconut aminos for the low-sodium soy sauce.

INGREDIENTS:

1 lb. lean ground pork
1 beaten egg
2 jalapenos, seeded, ribs removed and minced fine
2 tsp. low sodium soy sauce or coconut aminos
2 cloves, garlic, minced
2 T. olive oil (for frying)
1 optional recipe of my dumplings: Dumplings

DIPPING SAUCE:

2 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. creamy natural peanut butter (omit if on Induction)
2 T. rice vinegar
1 tsp. ginger root, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. Sambal Oelek chili sauce (or Sriracha sauce)
2-3 drops liquid stevia or sucralose
1 T. low sodium soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
1 T. finely minced green onion
2 T. water

DIRECTIONS: If you wish to serve this dish with dumplings on the side, prepare a recipe of my glucomannan dumplings at the link above according to that recipe’s instructions, simmering them in plain water that is barely at a simmer. Be sure to make them real tiny, about ½” is what I did, as they swell to about 3/4″ during simmering. When they are done, using a slotted spoon, dip them gently onto a plate. With paper towels, blot away as much water from around them as you can. Set the plate of dumplings aside for now.

Mix the dipping sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Mix up the meat ingredients in a medium bowl with either a fork or your hands. Heat the 2 T. olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Form into 10 patties (mine were about 1½ oz. each and about 2″ long). Place the meat patties in the skillet and brown on both sides until golden brown, making sure pink juices are no longer coming out of the meat when slightly pressed with the edge of your spatula. Turn off heat and dip them onto a serving platter in a circle. If serving with dumplings, serve those in the middle of the platter. You can rewarm the dumplings on defrost in your microwave if you feel so compelled, but I find room temperature is just fine since the meat is piping hot. Pour the dipping sauce into 3 tiny bowls and place one at each person’s place at table. I forked 1 dumpling with a bite of meat, dipped into the sauce and shoved the two right into my mouth! Pure heaven it was. I swear it tasted just like steamed dumplings! Now to see just how I can get that browned taste of Pot Stickers next time. Must try to brown my little dumplings in a skillet next time!

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes ten 1½-oz. meat patties. The numbers below do include 1/10th of the sauce. The info below does NOT include the optional dumplings, but since they have negligible food value, I wouldn’t worry about them too much. They are virtually pure fiber. I get around 36-40 mini-dumplings or gnocchi out of the dumpling recipe so 3 dumplings only have around .1 net carb (or less)! Like I said, virtually negligible. Each meat pattie & sauce contains:

167 calories
14 g fat
1.11 g carbs, .16 g fiber, .95 g NET CARBS
8.7 g protein
142 mg sodium
153 mg potassium
15% RDA Vitamin B6, 16% B12, 12% C, 8% iron, 15.5% niacin, 14% phosphorous, 13% riboflavin, 24% selenium, 31% thiamin, 14% zinc

NOTE TO MY WEBSITE SUBSCRIBERS: Please correct your printed copies of this recipe to read in the ingredients: 1 lb. lean ground PORK (not beef) I was in cruise control and caught that error right after hitting the enter key.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Sounds great! DH has been wanting Asian food and this would hit the spot, I think!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was really craving Asian food today and this sure did the trick for me and my husband!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Oh man! I just used up my pork sausage on biscuits and gravy the other day - going to have to get some more as I started salivating at your picture!
Sidenote, I made the pumpkin hush puppies again tonight, and everyone was delighted, again! love those
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I have a soft spot for Asian dumplings and this may be just the low carb sub I need! Thanks!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Stats: 228.5/189.9/150-160 LBM 125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 4, 2012
Made these tonight and they were a hit!!! We had about a pound and a half of pork so I doubled the dipping sauce and added it to the pan while we took the pooches out, these will be added to the rotation for sure! Thank you sooooo much for the recipe!
PassionateFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PassionateFire
Stats: 228.5/189.9/150-160 LBM 125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 4, 2012
I have to add a second thank you, the first thing by husband said when he woke up this morning was "dinner last night was so yummy!"
PassionateFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, I'm so glad all of you liked these! We did, too! And the little mini-gluc dumplings just made them almost a perfect "copy" of steamed dumplings for me. Defo going to fry the dumplings in an oil-glazed non-stick pan next time though. That will be the crowning glory I think.

Alex, I haven't made those since and need to do that soon. They had a lovely flavor that makes me think of Fall for sure.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Angeloco
Stats: 135/126/120
WOE: LC
Start Date: September 2011
Omg. I made these last night and they were delicious. I was craving Asian and these took care of that. I made the dumplings also. I simmered them in chicken broth and removed to dish with a little broth until pork was finished. Removed pork patties and placed dumplings in that pan with leftover oil, etc from pork. Browned up real nice. Served them with sautéed snow peas. Wonderful combination. Will be making over and over. Only will double everything next time for leftovers. We pigged out.

Thank you so much, Buttoni, for this great recipe and all the other recipes you come up.
Angeloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MSS726
WOE: Low Carb
I have a recipe from Alton Brown for potstickers and made them exactly like this last Christmas as an appetizer. It calls for red pepper, which we liked.

I am definitely going to try your recipe as soon as I pick up some green onions. They look amazing!
MSS726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I sent DH to the market for ground pork and he came back with Jimmy Dean ground pork sausage. Not the same thing! I'll have to wait to make these until I can get to the market.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeloco View Post
Omg. I made these last night and they were delicious. I was craving Asian and these took care of that. I made the dumplings also. I simmered them in chicken broth and removed to dish with a little broth until pork was finished. Removed pork patties and placed dumplings in that pan with leftover oil, etc from pork. Browned up real nice. Served them with sautéed snow peas. Wonderful combination. Will be making over and over. Only will double everything next time for leftovers. We pigged out.

Thank you so much, Buttoni, for this great recipe and all the other recipes you come up.
I'm so glad to hear you can brown the dumplings, Angeloco. I will definitely do that next time. Don't know WHY I didn't think to do it when I first made them. So glad you guys liked them! We just thought they were super tasting.

Hope you like them too, when you make them, Mari. No, Jimmie Dean wouldn't be too good in these.

Last edited by buttoni; 11-18-2013 at 06:44 PM..
Old 12-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Finally made these last night and they were sooooo good! I'd never made LC dumplings before and was a little timid to try, but they turned out great too! It was a really delicious, filling meal, DH kept saying how good it was
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
This was pure awesomeness. I made the pork, the dumplings and the sauce exactly as stated and it was incredibly delicious and just like the dumplings off of a great Chinese buffet! It made 3 servings for us and I used the leftover chicken broil that I boiled the dumplings in to make egg drop soup too.

Also, my goodness... these dumplings could be lasagna noodles or some other pasta if made in a different shape! Anybody try these ingredients with some kind of pasta press or something. I've never worked with fresh pasta dough before but even I could roll it out and cut lasagna rectangles and boil them!!! The boiled well and didn't stick together even when on top of each other.

Jen
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Okay, I'm definitely adding this to my list of foods to try. I ADORE pot stickers. ADORE!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMacB
Stats: 275/185/160
WOE: Modified Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I am seriously considering asking my mom to make these for me for my birthday. I love dumplings so much.
JMacB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
oh my I have these on "sort of" the top of my list. I really want to try the dumplings.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: penguinpower
WOE: Thinking of trying NK
Quote:
Anybody try these ingredients with some kind of pasta press or something.
JHoberer - I make these with my Kitchenaid's pasta extruder pretty often. I have not been able to get the dough to work in a regular pasta press, but maybe others have...dunno. I've also done them by just rolling the dough thin and cutting with a pizza cutter. These make a thicker noodle. When I use my Kitchenaid, I make a triple recipe just because of the extra work of cleaning out the attachment (really not too bad, but still lol). I cut back the BP by about half. The noodles hold up best if you just refrigerate them without cooking then add into soup or broth as needed. Since they're so thin they can get a little slimy if they sit too long in the liquid. I've kept them refrigerated without cooking for as long as a week. They might even keep longer, but I've always used them up within that time (love them on my JUDDD down days). The spaghetti swells up somewhat as it cooks, and I usually cut into smaller pieces for a somewhat macaroni-like result. The spaghetti holds up pretty well in broth so I often cook all of that at once. I don't like the spaghetti with spaghetti sauce, but love the noodles and spaghetti with soups and other kinds of sauces. I know I've thanked Buttoni before for this great recipe, but here's another big thank you - love this recipe!
penguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Been out of town and just got back today. I'm so pleased these have been enjoyed by those who have tried them. I'll be making them often as dumplings are my hubby's fave at Chinese restaurants. I'm thinking about trying to roll the dough out thin sometime, dry frying it a bit on both sides and then using for Moo Shoo Pork pancakes. I've got a pretty good Moo Shoo Pork filling recipe in my TNT Gloria Bley-Miller cookbook, but I've never tried my hand at making the pancakes. We'll see how it goes with the gluc dumpling dough.

Last edited by buttoni; 12-10-2013 at 08:11 PM..
Old 12-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
PenguinPower- I have a KitchenAid mixer too but not the pasta attachment. Is it easy to use? This dough doesn't stick and muck up the works? Is there a way to make angel hair pasta? I was thinking it might puff up to spaghetti thickeness or be choppable for rice.

Buttoni- I've never had moo shoo pork and pancakes. Sounds yummy though! Looking forward to hearing about that experiment!
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
sounds really yummy ! Thanks !
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

JHoberer - after making the dough, I let it sit until it's not sticky to the touch, and it works fine in the attachment. I just pull small chunks off the blob of dough and continually feed it into the attachment until it's all used up. I end up with a small piece, about walnut-size, that doesn't make it through because of lack of pressure. I usually just smoosh that flat as I can and cut it into strips for thicker noodles. The dough washes out easily, and the die cleans up best if you let the dough dry and just knock it out, then wash.

I don't have an angel hair die, just regular and large spaghetti holes, so unfortunately have never been able to try that size.

I made a batch of noodles today. I'll try to get a picture of them sitting on the plate, waiting to be added to soup tomorrow. I'll cook them by pouring off some broth from the soup into a pot, bringing it to a boil, then lowering to a simmer and dropping the noodles in. In reading this, it sounds like a lot more work than it is. But oh man, I am a noodle nut so it is worth it to me.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Okay, here goes - this was a double batch of the original recipe. That's a full-size dinner plate, with lots of noodles! The thicker noodles at the bottom of the plate are from the small bit of dough that was left after running the rest through the Kitchenaid. The noodles that go through the attachment come out really sturdy, you can pick them up, separate them if need be, and they hold their shape really well.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG those are a thing of beauty, Penguin. I used to have a pasta machine, but it's one of the things I gave up (as I didn't use it much) when we retired and sized down our house. Now I'm wishing I still had it.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Peggy - they taste every bit as good as they look! Thanks again for this great recipe.

Please note, I have not been able to get the dough to turn into noodles or spaghetti with a regular pasta machine. This is done with an extruder attachment on my stand mixer.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ah, I see. Well, I've never been fond of stand mixers and got rid of my Oster Kitchen Center when we sized down. Have never liked the space stand mixers take up on the counter (or in cabinets). Also don't like how the motor hub is in the way preventing me from easily adding ingredients without spilling; and just hate having to lift the hub over and over again just to add ingredients. I never could figure out why the beaters aren't designed to sit on the edge of the bowl rather than in the center, personally. Seems like that would be ever so much more effective for easier ingredient additions and would still accomplish a thorough mixing since the bowl is spinning. But they don't ask real users for design input, do they? LOL
Old 12-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I had one of those Osters too - got rid of it, and got this Kitchenaid that solves a lot of those problems! The bowl is stationary, and the beater moves in a rotation that constantly scrapes the sides so you have little or no need to use a spatula. And there's a nifty plastic cover that clips onto the bowl, which means no flour puffing up when you start mixing, and a chute in the cover that lets you easily add your ingredients without lifting the motor head. It is a heavy monster though, and does take up a lot of counter space, so I make sure to use it as much as possible lol.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Maybe I need to rethink my position on them and take a look at the newer ones then. Your model sounds nice. I've just always found hand mixers to be ever so easy to use, and my newest one has a wide flat bottom so it stands up on (beaters over the bowl) when I have to stop it for any reason.

Last edited by buttoni; 12-13-2013 at 04:43 PM..
Old 12-14-2013, 04:36 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kjwalsh
Stats: 205/150/140
Start Date: January 2013
made the pot stickers last night and they are awesome
kjwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I think I am going to try this tonight. It looks so good.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote