Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
I need a new crock pot.

Mine, a "Crock Pot" from Canadian Tire and only a couple of years old burnt out. So I must get a new one. Would any of you like to suggest which one is your favorite? Thank you. Oh, and my husband wants a smaller one. Not sure if that's a great idea. It's just for the two of us though.
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
From what I understand, the Crock Pot brand slow cookers cook hotter than the older versions. The last slow cooker I got was a Hamilton Beach in an oval shape, which cooks like the old Crock Pot's used to. I love that shape over round ones now. So my vote is for a Hamilton Beach.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I have 3 slow cookers. A 1 quart crockpot, a 2 1/2 quart crockpot, and an oval Hamilton Beach. I am alone and cook just for myself. I almost always go to the Hamilton Beach. It cooks the best and most consistently. It cooks smaller amounts as good as larger and I can cook a larger roast or chicken in the oval shape if I want. I vote Hamilton beach oval.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I have a Hamilton Beach 3 in 1 slow cooker. It has one base and 3 inserts in 2, 4 and 6 quart sizes. You just select which size insert you're using. I like it pretty well, except I sort of miss my old oval crockpot, because I could put hams and stuff in it. I just use my Rival 8 quart roaster oven set on 250* for stuff like that now.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I use 3 different sized crock pots, depending on what I'm making and for how many people. I have a little one that I cook beans in for myself, 1.5 qt...then I have a 3.5 qt and then a 7 qt. I am not at home right now, so I don't know the brand names, but I agree that the newer ones cook hotter than the older ones did. I did burn a couple of things when i first got the newest one, but you get used to it.

The big one I have has the digital timer so you can set it ahead to cook at a certain time, etc., but I have never used that function. The other two just have low, med, high, and warm settings on them.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
It's nice to have one that clicks on to Warm automatically after the time is over. Then you don't have to worry if you are running late.
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for sharing. Sounds like Hamilton Beach is the favorite. I watched a couple of videos and they were using one (couldn't see the name brand on it though) with just a couple of dials - high and low and don't know what else - easy peasey and they were round and smaller. Think I'll take my time and keep looking and reading. I'm at the stage in my life when I don't want big cumbersome appliances in my kitchen. Any of you appreciate the one with the "browning" feature?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I love my oval Hamilton Beach, and I also have a 1 1/2 quart and a 6 quart Rival old one round. They all serve different purposes.

I use to use them all on Thanksgiving day.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004

I have 3 too and this one in the picture is still my favorite. Works perfect for my DH and I and it cooks slow or faster and it isn't too heavy or too big.

I have a hamilton beach oval that is nice but oh so heavy and rarely use it

I have an older crock pot also that I do not use much at all. Hate that the crock doesn't come out for cleaning.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Rosethorns and SkeeterN - thank you both so much. I can't see myself having anything with various sized inserts but that West Bend sounds great and looks easy to maintain.
I'm off to read some more reviews - especially the West Bend.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ann Lytle
I had a West Bend Crock pot like this years ago, didn't know they still make them. Mine large oval one still works, but is very heavy. After seeing this, I told my children I wanted to put it on my wish list for Christmas. I get really good ideas on here, thank you................. ; o )........... Ann
Ann Lytle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dirty Harriet
Stats: 425/179/204 @ 5'7" size 7X/12W/14W age 55 (-246#),
WOE: 40Gm carbs/day (total) + WLS
Start Date: 8/11/2005 lap band; maintaining since 7/4/08!!!
How about a three in one pressure cooker/browning pot/crock pot combo from Walmart for $99?
All in one pot meals for me, no dirtying up my kitchen!!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
If you can't find the West Bend in stores you might be able to order them online
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Harriette, what's the brand name?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Harriette, what's the brand name?
It's a Nesco. It's been dependable....I brown pot roast in it, and then use the pressure cooker for 20 minutes with beef gravy; then slow cook for a couple hours.
I need my meat very tender....so this really works. You can use any or all of the settings and it isn't as scary to operate as the pressure cooker my mother used to use!!
Dirty Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Dirty Harriet -I'll have to think it over and take a look at them. We bought a used GE crock pot (like one I had years ago which did in fact last for years) but the one we got yesterday was not working - broken wire in cord said my husband. So we'll return it today and keep looking. BTW, I want you to know I think you kitty is just gorgeous! aaaah - we think about getting ourselves another furry friend often. When my kids were home we had long haired lovlies too.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islegirl View Post
Dirty Harriet -I'll have to think it over and take a look at them. We bought a used GE crock pot (like one I had years ago which did in fact last for years) but the one we got yesterday was not working - broken wire in cord said my husband. So we'll return it today and keep looking. BTW, I want you to know I think you kitty is just gorgeous! aaaah - we think about getting ourselves another furry friend often. When my kids were home we had long haired lovlies too.
TY, his name is Franky after Sinatra....and his birthday is 12/12 just like the real Sinatra. He was a big kitty at 20 pounds when I got him from a no kill shelter, but has since slimmed down to 12 pounds now over a couple of years,with our low carb diet that he and I are BOTH on. He eats less crunchies when I give him some supplemental protein of steak, prawns, and chicken. He'll be 13 this year!! I've only had him 3 yrs; his owners lost their home and abandoned him.

I love animals!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Dirty Harriet - that's a heartwarming story about how you got your Franky. My sister has a cat called "Freddie" but spelled differently, and yet she is female. So cute. And I think it's marvelous that you managed to get rid of all that extra weight. I have a friend who also had surgery - that takes lots of courage.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Bought two crockpots today!

Both from Value Village - a larger Rival and a smaller one, also Rival. Both work! Just plain High and Low settings but that's okay. And it only cost me $18. Now I am off to check out the "Crock Pot Recipe" thread here.
Thank you again - all of you who responded with helpful suggestions.