Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   SO EXCITED that I was finally successful at making awesome cauliflower rice!!! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/816954-so-excited-i-finally-successful-making-awesome-cauliflower-rice.html)

Dreamchaser 11-12-2013 04:51 PM

SO EXCITED that I was finally successful at making awesome cauliflower rice!!!

I don't have a food processor. I made mine with my Vitamix and frozen cauliflower (not thawed). At first, I threw the frozen cauliflower into the blender. Then I added cold water and tried to blend it up. That was a big mistake and understandably so. I ended up with a slushy, icy cauliflower mush.

But then I wondered if it would work if I used boiling water with the frozen cauliflower instead. Tried it and it worked like a charm!

I know that you can make it with fresh cauliflower and water in the blender and I know that you can also make it with frozen cauliflower in the blender but if you use cold water, the cauliflower has to be thawed.

This is awesome because you don't have to have fresh cauliflower on hand (frozen is also great because no chopping is involved, win win), and now you don't even have to have the frozen cauliflower thawed out ahead of time. Just boil the water and you're good to go! I poured the boiling water in enough to cover the cauliflower, pulsed it about 3 or 4 times and it was the perfect size.

I then poured it into a strainer, drained the water out by smashing it with a spoon, threw it in a pan and stir fried it with oil. I put salt and pepper and butter on it and OMG, sweet success finally after all these years! :jumpjoy:

And you don't have to have a Vitamix. I know that in previous posts, people say they use their regular blenders successfully for this. So easy, convenient and no mess. :clap:

Now I'm all excited looking up all of the "rice" recipes I've missed out on all of these years! I am one happy camper! :D

Dreamchaser 11-12-2013 04:59 PM

I should have titled this post:

A blender + frozen cauliflower + boiling water = instant "rice"

The Chicken Lady 11-13-2013 06:48 AM

Great idea, thanks for sharing. I tried the cauli-rice a couple of years ago grating it by hand. It made such a horrible mess that I never did it again. This sounds so quick and easy I'll definitely give it a try.

rosethorns 11-13-2013 07:14 AM

I love the water and blender method that Dottie told us.

I can't wait to try this with frozen cauliflower. Thanks I will reccomend this one too.
Lol I'm glad you are so happy.

Dreamchaser 11-13-2013 12:20 PM

This is the you tube video showing the fresh cauliflower with the vitamix.

Dreamchaser 11-13-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosethorns (Post 16681529)
I love the water and blender method that Dottie told us.

I can't wait to try this with frozen cauliflower. Thanks I will reccomend this one too.
Lol I'm glad you are so happy.

After not eating "rice" for years and years, you better believe I am happy! LOL :birthday:

dianafoot 11-13-2013 12:25 PM

Thanks for the reminder! DH just brought up a head of cauliflower I'd forgotten about from the downstairs fridge--gonna rice it tonight!

snowangel9 11-13-2013 03:33 PM

Well huh. I haven't seen it done before. That was cool! Thanks for posting that dreamchaser! Now, where could I store a vitamix..... Hmmmm. I mean, heck, after seeing that I have to get one! I have been avoiding the rice because of the cleanup. And I use the food processor!!

sherrymyra 11-13-2013 06:36 PM

have always made it in the food processor. I should go out on a limb and try the vitamix.

frogg 11-13-2013 08:38 PM

Oh, how cool, I've never heard of this method before. I don't have a Vitamix but I do have a regular blender. I will try it like you said others have and see how it goes. Thanks!

Brendajm 11-18-2013 03:58 AM

I too use my blender. But a few weeks ago I steamed up some cauliflower
Ans took my potatoe masher and mashed it up and it came out like riced cauliflower. I have the potatoe masher that has a swirl bottom, not the one with little square holes. If that makes Sense. That is how I do it now.

dianafoot 11-18-2013 02:10 PM

I adore the blender method--first saw it done in that video posted here. I made cauli-rice the other night. I sauteed diced onions, celery, mushrooms, in a little olive oil and butter until tender, then added the cauliflower with a little chicken broth and cooked it down until tender. after taking it off the burner, I stirred in about 4 tiny frozen green peas per serving (I know they're carby, thus the small amount). Fabulous "rice" pilaf!