Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Scarcity of Cauliflower (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/816888-scarcity-cauliflower.html)

erinmarie 11-11-2013 08:33 AM

Scarcity of Cauliflower

Recently cauliflower has been next to impossible to find down here! When I do find it its often already growing mold, and is an incredibly tiny head ( would require two to makes mashed or cauli rice) and about 3 bucks each. I can't find frozen cauliflower in any supermarkets or SAMs club, only California blend :( I suppose I could pick apart but what a hassle and would still take a lot to yield what I need. Like so many, cauliflower is usually a big part of my menu I use for everything and I really really miss it ! Any other wonder ingredients I can use to fill the void :help:

rosethorns 11-11-2013 09:21 AM

LOL I'm so sorry that is happening to you . I really have nothing to offer. It's very plentiful here in the U.S. and I freeze it.

zipp2play 11-11-2013 12:15 PM

well we still have it here. The fresh heads though are now $4.99! I bought one yesterday and the lady specifically said, you are aware of the price, right??? I am just making sure as several have thrown a fit when I ring them up!

watcher513 11-11-2013 07:22 PM

I got my last one at the 99 cent store the other night. LOVE finding them there. They weren't out so I asked the guy that was stocking the produce if they had any. He went in the back and brought one out.

Tweaker Geek 11-11-2013 08:14 PM

I wanted to buy some cauliflower a week or so ago and couldn't find any fresh or frozen. I asked about it, was told there was some earlier that day but it must have all sold, LOL, me thinks there are a lot more low carbers than there used to be!:)

There always seem to be plenty of potatoes!:hyst:

at_last 11-11-2013 08:31 PM

It's scarce here in Missouri too. I do the happy dance when cauliflower is in stock.

sherrymyra 11-11-2013 08:57 PM

I haven't seen that we have run out but the heads are usually really small and the price is really high.

cynderella 11-11-2013 09:27 PM

The frozen cauliflower has been darn near impossible to find in my far northeast corner of California for a long time. I can find the California mix but not the plain ole cauliflower. I don't think we can blame low carbers, I think we have to blame the non low carbers who don't want or know what to do with a plain bag of frozen cauliflower so the markets watching out for the bottom line stopped carrying them a while back. I told our manager if he only knew how many people where low carbing and how many people would probably buy it, he would get it back pronto. So far, no cigar!

watcher513 11-12-2013 05:33 AM

cynderella, I wonder if you asked if he'd order you some? It may be worth it to ask. You never know.

metqa 11-12-2013 06:15 AM

guess it's time to buy some seeds and try a winter garden?

SassySauce 11-12-2013 08:04 AM

The frozen is also scarce here in NE Ohio. I found two bags the other day and was so happy! I mix it with lots of dishes for bulk and use it as my 'rice'. Is it because people are low-carbing or Paleo-ing more? Hmmmm.

ouizoid 11-12-2013 08:18 AM

cynderella--I''m in Santa Rosa, and my Safeway has frozen cauli--

Pam 11-12-2013 02:10 PM

I'm in the Indianapolis area and so far no problem at our local Kroger. I have 6 bags in the freezer. I may buy more to make "mock" mashed potatoes for Turkey Day. Certainly don't want to run out!

Karerose 11-12-2013 02:48 PM

I have no idea if it is scare here. I've been buying it at the Farmer's market. The last market was a few weeks ago and I bought a huge head for $3.

sherrymyra 11-12-2013 04:35 PM

I scored tonight. Got 3 decent sized heads for $2.60 each. There were mostly smaller ones though so I'm glad I got them today.

cynderella 11-12-2013 07:14 PM

Watcher 513 and Ouizoid: I have asked in the past but after getting it in one time that's the end of it. I live in a small rural town in the mountains and we only have a Safeway. Each Safeway's product list is determined by someone depending on which district you are in. Some years we are in the San Francisco district and others the Sacramento district. Plus there are lots of things I can get in the Safeway 1 hour away that I can't get here. They tell me its a space issue.

BSR3 11-19-2013 08:32 PM

I'm so glad you asked. I've been wondering the same thing. I can find fresh cauliflower, but have had a hard time finding frozen. Next time I see some, I'm buying a lot of packages!