Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Kale Chips (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/816853-kale-chips.html)

kitcub 11-10-2013 12:18 PM

Kale Chips

I'm doing pretty well on induction but seriously missing having something crunchy to eat while watching tv on weekend evenings. I really wanted popcorn or chips or something. I tried both celery stuffed with cream cheese and pork rinds dipped in blue cheese dressing. Was ok but didn't hit the spot.

Then, I remembered kale chips. I've never made them before but I think I'll pick up a bunch of kale today. I found a recipe on Pinterest for salt and vinegar kale trips and think that just might be the ticket to combat the strong bitter flavor kale can get.

Yeehaw!

Mistizoom 11-10-2013 12:32 PM

I tried a salt and vinegar recipe for kale chips but I must have done something wrong because they never crisped up. However I did buy some premade kale chips yesterday, called Kale Krunch (plain flavor) and they were very good. Expensive though. Maybe I'll try again on my own, now that I know what they can taste like.

canadiangirl 11-12-2013 04:49 PM

I have made kale chips a ton of time in my dehydrator and they are really good. There are some great recipes with red pepper and walnuts ( i always used sunflower seeds). My new favorite snack is actually snack size roasted salted nori (sushi wrap paper)! I fold the small sheet into 4 so its got more crunch. And the added bonus is that it settles my sushi craving! 30 cal a pk and about 1g carb.

SassySauce 11-12-2013 05:05 PM

I love the baked nori too. I buy the big sheets and 'glue' two together and bake them. I season with paprika and sea salt.

Kale chips are also a favorite but a labor of love. Turn oven on to 425, when temp is reached turn back down to 250 for an hour or so, stiring/shacking every 15min until done. The low temp will keep them from burning. I marinate in butter, paprika, and salt. Happy snacking!

sports_mom 11-14-2013 03:41 AM

That's so funny you posted this. I saw them on Biggest Loser this week and it made me want to try them. They grilled them and looked delicious!

Chuck41 11-14-2013 07:26 AM

Never heard of kale chips but it sounds interesting. Will have to look up recipes and give them a try. I have an electric smoker that, without the smoke chips should be great for drying/toasting.

Karerose 11-17-2013 08:57 AM

It took a few tries to get them just right. I was buying a bunch of kale every week at the farmer's market and after a few tries got them perfect.

I coated them in olive oil seasoned with sea salt and cayenne pepper. You have to be careful to get just enough cayenne pepper so just a little heat. I cooked in big batches because I discover if I did too thin of a layer they cooked too fast. After about 15 mins I stirred the batch. Then about every 15 mins. When I knew it was within about 3 - 5 minutes of being perfect I took shaved asiago cheese and crumbled in a thin layer over the kale. Not too much because you want it to cook crispy not melty in the few minutes left of cooking. Sometimes I used a littles garlic salt too.

rosethorns 11-17-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karerose (Post 16686332)
It took a few tries to get them just right. I was buying a bunch of kale every week at the farmer's market and after a few tries got them perfect.

I coated them in olive oil seasoned with sea salt and cayenne pepper. You have to be careful to get just enough cayenne pepper so just a little heat. I cooked in big batches because I discover if I did too thin of a layer they cooked too fast. After about 15 mins I stirred the batch. Then about every 15 mins. When I knew it was within about 3 - 5 minutes of being perfect I took shaved asiago cheese and crumbled in a thin layer over the kale. Not too much because you want it to cook crispy not melty in the few minutes left of cooking. Sometimes I used a littles garlic salt too.

I love them this away and Nori sheets.
Here is the one that Canadiangirl put up. I love this way too.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ale-chips.html