Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rollike
Substitute for pureed dates

In many detox baking recipes and paleo baking recipes is dates used to make a puree and used instead of sugar.

I think it is because of the stickiness, the sweetness and the fullness the dates gives to the baking goods.

Does anyone have experience on what to substitute the dates with that is low carb?

I live in Denmark, so i am excited to see your suggestions and to see if it is something that i can buy in a common grocerystore

Thank you in advance
Rollike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I have no experience with the dates/substitutions, but I'd think that the imitation honey might work fine? There is one made with maltitol (Honey Tree) and one made with Xylitol (Nature's Hollow) - not sure you'd find them in a store? Except that Target here does carry their own brand of imitation honey, so if you have Target stores with grocery there, you might check.

I prefer the one made with maltitol - it more closely mimics the texture of honey. The one made with xylitol is gloopy and not a consistency I like!

Last edited by Charski; 11-10-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Use dried prunes, the kind with no added sugar (I buy mine at Sam's). The taste is very similar. They're still high in carbs, but a lot lower than dates or raisins. I try to limit to just 3-5 per recipe or the carbs get out of hand. In cookies and muffins, I snip them into tiny pieces; if they must be pureed for your recipe, do it with the otehr liquid ingredients int eh recipe.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I'm so glad you asked this question. There are a ton of paleo recipes that could easily be made low carb if there was a replacement for the dates. I don't do any fruit (including dates or prunes) and I'd rather not use fake honey. I'm hoping there are more suggestions out there.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Yacon syrup is thick and viscous like honey, and has a slight molasses taste (to me). That might work.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I think they are using the dates as a sugar sub. The viscosity is nice, but often is meant to also sub for fat. I think we can make the same paleo recipes and add our sweeteners and the recipes will be fine. I've done that with a number of paleo recipes. Yacon syrup is great, and I use it to make Kevins Pseudo Brown Sugar, but I wouldn't use it in larger amounts, because I fear that it is as loaded with fructose as Agave syrup is.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I just use sweetners when I make Paleo recipes and some for stickieness I will s/f maple syrup ( like log cabin).

Ive been checking out coconut sugar and it is high frutose .
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I think they are using the dates as a sugar sub. The viscosity is nice, but often is meant to also sub for fat. I think we can make the same paleo recipes and add our sweeteners and the recipes will be fine. I've done that with a number of paleo recipes. Yacon syrup is great, and I use it to make Kevins Pseudo Brown Sugar, but I wouldn't use it in larger amounts, because I fear that it is as loaded with fructose as Agave syrup is.
I agree with Ouizoid. This made me look at a recipe I'd written down. As far as I can tell, the dates are the sweetener. So, just use a sf sweetener. If it needs moisture, cream, coconut milk, or almond milk should work too.
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote