Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: GailyGail
Stats: 200/170/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2, 2012
Turnip?

Does anyone know if you can eat turnip on a low carb diet. I looked up the carb counts on turnip and kept getting different numbers -- as well as different advice on whether to eat it or not on a low carb WOE.

If anyone has any advice or recipes or ideas, kindly let me know. THANK YOU!
GailyGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jenn11
WOE: Protein Power +1 meal/day
Protein power book lists turnip greens, canned turnips and boiled turnips. The boiled ones are 4.4 grams net carb for 1 cup. They don't have numbers for raw turnip. Looks like they are pretty low-carb friendly. They taste sort of peppery so you probably won't be able to eat too much anyway.

My mom eats those big white ones raw. This is what she does: Peel turnip, slice thinly, looks like a thin flat disc, toss with salt, and add some olive oil if you want to soften them up a little. Give them a little while to sit in the salt so the flavor is more uniform.

Personally, I prefer radishes to turnips, which I toss with salt, sour cream and chopped green onion as a mini-salad.
Jenn11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
I haven't had turnips in forever but yes they are low carb.

They have a little bit of a 'bite' IMO, I used to peel them and cube or quarter them, toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast them in the oven. It seems to mellow the flavors a bit and make them sweeter.
kitcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JHoberer
Stats: 283/177.0/170, 5'10.5", 38
WOE: 1/08: Atkins, 8/11: HCG, 7/12: JUDDD, 10/12: HCG
Turnips are awesome awesome awesome when cooked with corned beef in a crockpot!

I brown the fat well on the corned beef in a skillet then slide it into the crockpot. I add a carton of broth (I usually use chicken, I like the clear look), the seasoning packet that comes with the corned beef and then fill the crockpot with water so the meat is totally covered. I cook on high for about an hour. Then I add peeled halved turnips. Optional: carrots and/or celery too. I switch to low and cook for about 4 hours. When the turnips are easily pierced with a fork I add wedges of fresh cabbage (make sure they are in the broth or pour some over them). Put it back on high and dinner is done when the cabbage is to your liking. Half an hour to an hour usually. I use a large oval crockpot but you could remove the corned beef before adding cabbage if you only have a smaller crockpot. Could also do it in a pot on the stove- just give the meat a head start, boil turnips until done or almost so then add cabbage and cook until they are done.

This is THE recipe that amazes people because the turnips come out tasting almost identical to potatoes. Really. I think it is the magic of the slow boiling method and the broth and spices. If you don't like turnips but love boiled potatoes and corned beef this is the recipe to try. They lose the strong peppery taste but sometimes, sometimes not that returns in leftovers the next day.

Jen

Last edited by JHoberer; 11-11-2013 at 09:49 AM..
JHoberer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I only like them cubed and added in the crockpot with a beef roast. I usually add them in the last 60-90 min. Great potato sub!
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
1 cup turnips, cooked, boiled, and drained =
8 gr carb - 3 gr fiber = 5 gr net carbs

great potato substitute if you like 'em
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote