Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Low carb ingredients I have purchased but never used!

Ok, I need to clean out my pantry, still have a lot of carby stuff in there I'll never use. Just threw out three expired, unopened cans of breadcrumbs last night. But I also noticed I have quite a few low carb items I have purchased over the past year and have not used yet. I know some of them I bought for specific recipes. But if you have a favorite for any of these items please let me know!
  • lupin flour - I'm kind of scared to try this after some people had bad experiences
  • tagatose - ditto
  • PB2
  • vegetable gylcerin
  • lechitin granules
  • Jay Robb whey powder - Tropical Dreamsicle flavor
  • coconut butter
  • guar gum
  • jarred Alfredo sauce
  • hazelnut flour
  • cacao nibs
  • nutritional yeast
  • 1.5 lb. bag of pine nuts (I have a smaller bag I am slowly using, but I am not sure what I am going to do with this many pine nuts!)
  • cocoa butter - just got this but not sure what I'll use it for

What about you? Please share what low carb ingredients you have on hand that you haven't used yet!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Well, I've got some oat fiber I haven't used yet, but that's because I'm on P2.
I've got some Rice Bran, that's for making pickles, I haven't made it yet.

But Wow, there are so many things there I use/could use;

I use vegetable glycerine when I dry my cranberries to keep them chewier.
Hazelnut flour is good for making low carb corn bread.
Nutritional Yeast is Awesome flavor for anything you want to taste more cheesy. I've put it on popcorn, cauliflower, green beans, fried egg, Tofu.
Pine nuts are for making Pesto, but you could probably flavor them as a snack. Google sweet and smokey pepitas.
Cocoa butter use as the fat for making homemade chocolate or bark that will stay solid at room temp, unlike coconut oil.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
I use nutritional yeast to make fabulous "chicken" soup, french onion soup, and "chicken" gravy for my vegetarian friends and family. Although I am not vegetarian, I still add it to soup and stock because it adds richness and body and a little meatiness for lots of nutrition and very few carbs.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Toast pine nuts and sprinkle over salad or cooked vegetables like green beans and broccoli. Keep them in the fridge, though, so they don't go rancid.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Tagatose--I love it! I add a small amount to any sweetener blend--It helps modify the cooling effect of e and x and it reduces the aftertaste of splenda.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sligh
Stats: 190/118/145
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 31, 2003
I go through lots of PB2, making chocolate/peanut butter smoothies.

1 scoop Jay Robb chocolate whey powder
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon PB2
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (could probably substitute the guar gum for this)
1 1/2 cups chocolate almond breeze
sweetener to taste
lots of crushed ice

Blend until thick and smooth. You could also use the Jay Robb dreamsicle whey powder for smoothies. Sometimes I omit the cocoa and PB2 in this recipe - use vanilla whey and vanilla almond breeze and add a package of orange jello powder to get a dreamsicle flavor.

I'm glad you started this thread though. I've never used nutritional yeast, but I might get some after reading some of these replies.
sligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
I've never had jarred alfredo, but I love making homemade alfredo and loading it up with shrimp and crab. I just eat it straight without any pasta.

I personally eat coconut butter just straight out of the jar with a spoon. I have to watch myself with this though, I can go overboard.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tulipsandroses
Stats: 206/160/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2010
I'll trade your lupin flour for my pea protein powder!
I love the stuff. Nice way to stretch your almond flour. If you can use it, I think its a great addition to your LC arsenal. I hardly ever use it on its own though. Usually in a 50/50 blend with almond flour

I mostly use it for quick breads for a sandwich

2 TBS Lupin Flour
2TBS Almond Flour
1 TBS Egg White Powder
1TBS Oat Fiber
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp gluc
1 tsp sweetener - I use Tagatose
1 TBS Unsalted Butter
2 TBS Buttermilk
1 egg

This bread makes awesome grilled cheese sandwhiches.

dash of salt

Nuke for 2 mins.

I've used Lupin for crackers and cookies as well but lately I don't have a lot of time for baking so mostly been using it for quick breads.

I love melted coconut butter on brocolli

Cocoa butter is great in coffee. If its a really good grade of Cocoa Butter. I use it to make a white chocolate latte. Melt 1 TBS - and add some HWC, vanilla, sweetener and your coffee.

Hazelnut flour - Turn it into some yummy chocolate Hazelnut butter. Let it rip in a food processor or good blender, add some coconut oil, unsweetened cocoa powder and a few pieces of 90% dark chocolate. Sweeten to taste.

Last edited by tulipsandroses; 11-09-2013 at 07:31 PM..
tulipsandroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Thanks for the ideas! Tulipsandroses, funny you should mention pea protein powder...that should be on the list too! I forgot to add that. I have a giant unopened jar of that as well! Thanks for the bread recipe. Ocean, alfredo with shrimp sounds great. I do have some shrimp in the freezer, so that would work! Diana, thanks for all the tips. I think I will like tagatose, I just have to try it. Metqa, several good ideas there. I'll have to look for some recipes for some of the things you suggested. Sligh, the smoothie sounds really good. I have all the ingredients for that, though my chocolate whey powder is a different brand.

Any additional ideas are welcomed!!
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote