Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Made Cranberry Sauce last night (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/816616-made-cranberry-sauce-last-night.html)

cherrytt_too 11-05-2013 11:14 AM

Made Cranberry Sauce last night

Jellied - followed the directions on the bag and just subbed splenda for the sugar. I had googled online and saw others had success with this.

1 cup water
1 cup splenda
3 cups cranberries

Boil water and splenda together, add cranberries, low boil for 10 minutes, mash the daylights out of it through a wire strainer.

It tastes yummy, and it is very thick...but it did not 'jell'. Looked at it this morning and it is still just thick. Any suggestions?

MsWoods 11-05-2013 11:40 AM

I think you would have to use unflavored gelatin packets to get it to gel.

I, personally, wouldn't go through all the trouble. It taste good all the same. I might add a bit of gluccomannan powder while it was cooking to thicken it a bit, but that's all I would do. Then again, I always have glucc on hand so it would be nothing to add it.

cherrytt_too 11-05-2013 12:02 PM

Supposedly, cranberries have lots of pectin and it's supposed to gel on it's own. I wonder if either using the splenda instead of sugar, or not cooking it long enough is the culprit?

I have unflavored gelatin packs and I know you can also get cranberry flavored jello - But I wanted more jelly than jell-o.

I have xanthum gum. Hmmm. It still tastes great, and honestly, I was going to use it for sandwich spread for my chicken salad lettuce wraps. It might be thick enough to still do the trick.

ravenrose 11-05-2013 01:35 PM

yeah, sugar has different properties... in the future (I know, big help) you might want to cut the water to a half cup and see what happens.

somethingblue2u 11-05-2013 02:01 PM

I was just looking Cranberry Sauce up online. Does have a tried and true favorite low carb cranberry sauce recipe?

Charski 11-05-2013 02:41 PM

When I cook mine up, it thickens just fine, but it's NOT the same consistency as the jellied stuff from the can. I do think that one probably needs some unflavored gelatin, like Michelle suggested in the first response.

This is the one that gets requested time after time around here. Last year I made extra and canned it. Gonna do that this year only MORE! :)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16472858

cherrytt_too 11-05-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16672046)
When I cook mine up, it thickens just fine, but it's NOT the same consistency as the jellied stuff from the can. I do think that one probably needs some unflavored gelatin, like Michelle suggested in the first response.

This is the one that gets requested time after time around here. Last year I made extra and canned it. Gonna do that this year only MORE! :)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16472858

That looks like cranberry salsa :)

Mine did thicken a good bit, but it's not a solid. I have a HUGE bag so next time I'll try a sprinkle of xanthum gum and if that doesn't work I'll try the gelatin. At what point in the process do you think it would be best to add? While the berries are boiling, or sprinkled and then whisked in to the strained product at the end before chilling?

Charski 11-05-2013 05:19 PM

It's not actually a salsa, in the sense that we think of salsa, because it does become jam-like as it cools. The predominant flavor is still cranberry, but it has that little zing from the onions and peppers! :)

If I was gonna add glu to mine, I'd do it at the end. It's easier to judge how thick it's gonna get that way. If you add it when it's boiling, or still very hot, you're gonna get a lot of thickening simply by virtue of it cooling off, as the natural pectins kick in.

Are you looking for something you can slice, or just thicker than you got it the first time? You could just cook it down some more to achieve that too.

Mine comes out thick enough that once it's canned, and cooled, you can tip the jar upside down and it stays put inside the jar, doesn't run into the airspace between the sauce and the lid.

cherrytt_too 11-05-2013 06:00 PM

I'd LOVE to slice it, but I'd settle to have it the thickness of a jam that you'd spread on toast without it soaking thru or running off and making a mess.

Seabreezes 11-05-2013 06:12 PM

I make it all the time with Splenda, but I just cook it longer. It is then nice and thick. I don't even strain it.

It is good mixed with a little dressing on a chicken salad. I make my own thousand island and mix it in that. You could add it to ranch if you don't want the TI taste.

LindaSL 11-05-2013 10:22 PM

Cranberry sauce was the first dish I ever tried to de-carb. I just replaced the sugar with xylitol. Worked great and the relatives never knew (he he). You could probably use other bulky sweeteners too. Here's the recipe, based on a recipe I heard on a radio show years ago:

Port Cranberry Sauce

1 cup port wine
1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cups xylitol
1 12-oz bag cranberries

Boil first three ingredients in non reactive saucepan for 5 minutes. Stir in cranberries and bring back to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, about 5-8 minutes (time will vary -- you should have a thick sauce by then, and still some intact berries). Let cool, then refrigerate several hours.

No added thickener is needed-- the pectin in the berries does that. Net carbs: 2.4 grams per 2 Tbsp.

dianafoot 11-07-2013 05:30 AM

I just make it with little or no water. I like to add a bit of Monin o'free syrup as part of the sweetener (I use erythritol for the rest) and boil it for a little bit, then use my immersion blender to puree it. It comes out very thick and jammy.

Love&Luck 11-08-2013 03:07 PM

I put just a splash of water in mine plus liquid Splenda. It's thick, but not "jellied" but that's how we like it at our house. I have a big bag from Sam's in the 'fridge now!

cherrytt_too 11-08-2013 04:07 PM

I took some of my cranberry sludge, added a squirt of siracha and some red pepper flakes and made an amazing spicy sweet and sour sauce and added it to cubed chicken breast I fried in coconut oil.

YUMMO.

Kismet311 11-08-2013 04:36 PM

Mine seems to gel nicely with the same recipe as the OP. Maybe it's just "thick" but I think it's great the way it is. Sometimes I put a splash of GM in it too. I bring it to a boil then turn it down very low. Can't wait until Thanksgiving!!!!

JHoberer 11-11-2013 10:54 AM

Grated orange zest is great in this and so is Orange DaVinci.

GME 11-11-2013 12:31 PM

I make it the same way as the OP with Splenda and it gets thick but not jelly-like.

If you want jelly you could use pectin.

JHoberer 11-11-2013 02:53 PM

duplicate

LindaSL 11-12-2013 11:45 PM

I suspect that the problems getting a thick sauce is the cooking time. Cook it longer and it will thicken. Then stick it in the refrigerator overnight. It should be a lot thicker -- thick enough to cut a chunk out, slightly less thick than a Jello square. I've been cooking this for years so I guarantee it works!

cherrytt_too 11-13-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaSL (Post 16681174)
I suspect that the problems getting a thick sauce is the cooking time. Cook it longer and it will thicken. Then stick it in the refrigerator overnight. It should be a lot thicker -- thick enough to cut a chunk out, slightly less thick than a Jello square. I've been cooking this for years so I guarantee it works!

Will try that tonight, thanks! How much longer would you suggest? I cooked the 10-12 minutes that was listed on the bag.

LindaSL 11-14-2013 12:49 AM

If you follow my recipe above, use those times as a guide. I find that sometimes the cranberries are more or less dense from year to year -- they take more or less time to pop open -- so you really need to make a judgment call. When you take it off the heat you should have a pretty thick sauce already. If it seems thin, keep cooking it until it's thick. You'll get the hang of it!