Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
Recipe for wraps/tortillas?

I've been buying the low carb tortillas in the stores but they are so expensive. I wondered if anyone has a good recipe that doesn't use nut flowers or dairy? I can use sunflower seed flour instead or pumpkin seed flour. I use coconut milk instead of dairy.

Oh how I hope someone has a good recipe! I have 2 weeks to go until my next paycheck and I'm out of tortillas and low on money.
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
I haven't tried to make these yet, but I found a recipe from the protein pow website that uses psyllium husks, egg whites, and coconut cream. She says it is a crepe-like wrap. Google "protein pow crunchy cheesy chicken tortilla" and it should come up. A note, you will have to convert from grams! Let me know if you try it, since I haven't yet I'm interested in how they would turn out.
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Abigale
WOE: low carb
Start Date: January 2008
I have used the recipe from stupid easy paleo before and they work pretty good. They don't crack when you fold them. The taste is very mild. She uses coconut oil, baking soda, arrowroot powder, coconut flour. I couldn't find arrowroot powder but used the suggestion in one of comments to use tapioca flour and they were fine.
Abigale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Here's a really simple recipe and lots of variations. I have yet to try it but a lot of folks really like it!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...easy-easy.html
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Simplest of all: beat and egg with a pinch of salt, add 2T water, beat in and add 2tsp coconut flour. Mix well, add a splash more water if needed to make a thick, but pourable batter.
Oil a non-stick skillet and cook half the batter until it looks "dry", flip and cook another 30 seconds.
Makes 2 "egg -tillas"
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
Start Date: November 2012
I made grain-free coconut flour tortillas from Against All Grain website and they were good. A bit delicate, but they were easy enough to make. I did use a carton of liquid egg whites as they do call for a lot of egg whites. I stored them in the fridge for about a week after making.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
No-Flour Tortillas

Here's the one I'm using most often:

This is a midification of the Sherrielee Tortilla Wrap on Linda’s website. It has undergone some minor changes that I think have improved it quite a bit. These have no funny flax taste, and are remarkably like a flour tortilla in texture and flavor! Quite neutral flavor. These make wrap sandwiches that you can actually pick it up and eat without a fork! They don't crack or fall apart. Thin enough, too! You will get eight 7″ pieces from this recipe.

After several experiments, I have found the easiest method of cooking these is on a flat cake plate that I have that doesn’t have a stand. I rinse and lightly re-oil the plate between each wrap/tortilla that is cooked. Any flat, round plate or platter that will rotate in your microwave will work.

In a non-wheat world, these make a pretty decent substitute for Indian Naan Bread, too. Some variations I’ve tried when using with Indian food: a sprinkle of ground cardamom or garam masala, a bit of toasted onion bits, some cottage cheese, chopped cilantro and nigella seeds! I own a grilling skillet with holes in it that is non-stick and I plan on trying to smoke these over a charcoal fire one of these days, too. That way they’d taste even more like tandoori baked naan!

These also make great quesadillas if you skillet griddle them after filling to brown it. They would make stuffed burritos nicely, too! Due to the oat flour, these are not acceptable until the grains rung of Atkins OWL.

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 eggs
1/3 c. unsweetened, unflavored whey protein
3 T. rolled oats, ground fine in blender or food processor
2 T. flax meal
1 T. oat fiber
1/8 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. baking powder
2 T. heavy cream
2 T. water (1 T. more if your batter is too thick to spread out thin)

DIRECTIONS: In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese with a wooden spoon until smooth. Add eggs and beat with immersion or electric hand mixer until smooth as possible. Add remaining ingredients and beat well. The mixture will be about like pancake batter. Lightly oil your flat plate. Using a 1/4 c. measuring cup, scoop the batter onto the paper, spreading with a rubber spatula to about 7″ diameter. My cake plate has concentric decorations that make this much easier. Microwave on HI for 70 seconds or until dry to the touch int he center. Remove and gently fun a thin metal spatula under the edges to loosen. Lift off plate with your hands and place on paper towels. Tip: next time you buy in-store handmade tortillas that have plastic separators, don’t throw them away! I save them as they are wonderful for such uses. Make the remaining tortillas (you should get 8 total) in a similar manner, rinsing batter residue off plate and re-oiling it between each baking. Use a paper towel or plastic sheet between them as you stack them to finish cooling. this will prevent them from sticking together.

Optional, you can slightly brown these a bit on one side (as in my picture) in a dry non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. I prefer them browned myself. This step enhances both appearance, flavor and handle-ability, but is not absolutely necessary if you’re in a hurry to eat. Here's one grilled:

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes eight 7″ wraps or tortillas, each contains:
171 calories
14.5 g fat
4.55 g carbs, 1.39 g fiber, 3.16 NET CARBS
8.41 g protein
120 mg sodium
177 mg potassium
23% RDA Vitamin A, 17% B12, 13% iron, 23% phosphorous, 16% riboflavin, 16% selenium
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
Start Date: November 2012
Those look really good Peggy and not too much fiber. I think I will try them for my son. He gets tummy issues when he eats the LC tortillas that have a lot of fiber.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
They're not bad, Misti. I especially like them browned a bit in the skillet.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Here's a really simple recipe and lots of variations. I have yet to try it but a lot of folks really like it!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...easy-easy.html
Thanks for this link, I didn't know about it! This recipe is pretty much what the recipe on the blog I referred to was like. Didn't know it existed on LCF already
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote