Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Newbie to Venison (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/816445-newbie-venison.html)

pinewoodmom843 11-03-2013 02:05 AM

Newbie to Venison

I have a 1lb tube of venison. Whats the best way to use it? How gamey is it?

NAT&RD 11-03-2013 05:16 AM

Gaminess depends on type of deer, age, what it was eating, how it was killed, how the meat was handled etc. Only way of knowing is to smell the meat.
In a tube, I assume it is ground. spaghetti sauce, or mixed into a meat loaf. Burgers would be good, but don't over cook, meat gets dry.

Charski 11-03-2013 09:53 AM

What Coolcruiser says. Wild meat should not be "gamey" if it's handled properly and promptly after the kill. I love venison.

I've made stuffed venison burgers, just make 4 thin patties out of your pound of meat, put bacon bits and cheese on two, top with the other two, seal the edges really well all around, reshape into nice patties, season and grill or panfry til done.

pinewoodmom843 11-03-2013 11:55 AM

thanks for the info! It was given to me by a friend who owns a lot of land. processed at great outdoors deer processing in Bowman,SC.

GME 11-03-2013 12:06 PM

It seems to depend the most on what the deer ate IME. My dad used to get a lot of deer out of the Nevada sagebrush. Meh. It had to be ground and mixed with beef or cooked in sauces.

We got some from a friend in Washington where the deer would come out of the woods and eat alfalfa. That was delish and could be eaten straight like any other meat.

We have some friends that are walnut farmers and their boys raised pigs in 4h and FFA. The pigs with pens under the trees ate a lot of dropped walnuts. THAT is some tasty pork.

I think by processed they mean in the field after it was killed, not the butcher.

Charski 11-03-2013 01:01 PM

Yes, definitely in the field. It needs to be gutted and bled out ASAP after it's killed to keep the meat from starting to go off. That's ESPECIALLY important with large animals like elk and moose - they get what's called "bone sour" if you don't get the meat off the bones right away, because it can't cool down fast enough if left on the bone - and specifically the leg/hams, as the meat is very dense there.

After THAT it goes to the butcher or whomever is gonna cut it up and package it.

But yeah, I'm sure what it eats has some bearing on the flavor of the meat.

pinewoodmom843 11-03-2013 01:59 PM

from what his wife said they are just wild and taken immediately after to be processed. she had no way to know if it was male or female. that is the only meat they eat so I am hoping that we will like it too!

Charski 11-03-2013 03:24 PM

Whoever shot it should surely know! :)

Let us know how you fixed it and how you liked it.

I wish I had me a TON of ground venison - I'd make up a BIG batch of jerky. :yummy:

Harpmaker 11-03-2013 04:39 PM

I love to use ground venison in chili!

miboje 11-04-2013 11:52 AM

You can use it the same way you use ground beef, basically. I do tend to add an egg to it if I am going to use the meat for something like burgers or meatloaf. It's not greasy like beef is.

pinewoodmom843 11-10-2013 07:18 AM

used the venison for chili and it tasted just fine!!

Harpmaker 11-10-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16669424)
Whoever shot it should surely know! :)

Let us know how you fixed it and how you liked it.

I wish I had me a TON of ground venison - I'd make up a BIG batch of jerky. :yummy:

Just read this again and found that I misunderstood you using GROUND venison to make jerky. How do you make jerky out of ground meat that has had fat added so it's like hamburger? :confused: Or are you talking about venison meat that has been ground with no fat added?

Charski 11-10-2013 09:48 AM

Harpmaker, the leaner the better, but I've used 85%/15% ground beef without problems.

I use an LEM jerky cannon and my Excaliber dehydrator. It turns out some mighty good ground meat jerky!

When it's done and cooled, I bag it in a gallon ziploc and stick it in the freezer. No chance of spoilage that way.