Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
Curious about cookware

Just wondering what type of cookware people are using. I need a new frying pan and have been thinking about cast iron because I worry about the Teflon fumes etc. In all the reading I have done they keep saying cast iron is great for low fat frying, but I want to fry in fat! Just really looking for opinions. I had a cast iron pan years ago but could never get used to it. It probably wasn't seasoned properly! I use a frying pan every morning so need something durable.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
My DH got me the most awesome set of Cephalon cookware for Christmas 2 yrs ago..... it is very expensive, but I will never need another set ! Nothing sticks !

I like cooking with cast iron too.....but it's so heavy, and mine was sticking yrs ago.

Will be interested in seeing what you pick ! Good luck !
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
I use stainless steel exclusively except for one Le Creuset enameled cast iron frying pan that is over 45 years old. No Teflon.

Last edited by rose1; 11-02-2013 at 08:09 PM..
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I use fully clad stainless steel and cast iron. That's it. The stainless is Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro, which got rave reviews from America's Test Kitchen and several other trusted sources, and the cast iron is a mix of old pieces that are close to a hundred years old (from my grandmothers) and pre-seasoned Lodge (made in the USA) skillets I bought new as an adult.

I love my cookware.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
I Just bought a cast iron one...it is heavy, but so far, so good, and cooking in it reminds me of my grandparents. win-win
Hot Tamale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luckymuma
Stats: 96kg ( 211) start weight GOAL weight 74kg(163)
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 01 Aug 2013
No Teflon here either. We just have stainless steel for all our pans, and I have two enamaled cast iron pans that can also go in the oven.
luckymuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
I love cast iron but can't use it anymore because I have arthritis in my hands and it's too heavy. Same for my Le Creuset cookware (and it makes me want to cry). So I have a couple of Cephalon pans that I use for just about everything.

There are a number of 'green' sites that review the various cookware and they said even stainless steel contains other metals that, over time, develop nicks and wear, allowing the other metals used to make the pan (cuz stainless steel is actually a combo of metals) to leach into foods, although not at any rate worth mentioning.
Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I use antique cast iron frying pans. The secret is you do not 'wash' cast iron... at least not with soap. Soap cuts through the grease (seasoning) & removes it.
I use my mother's cast iron. We do re-enacting so we use cast iron a lot. Stuck on food (shouldn't happen) but if it does, put water in it & bring to a boil which will loosen anything stuck. After cooking, you run straight hot water through the pan & go over with a scrubber. No soap. Dry on a warm burner. Heat the cast iron before cooking, kills any germs. Antigue cast iron is lighter & smoother than modern made cast iron.
There are expensive enameled cast iron. Recently we've gotten a Dutch oven which my wife likes for acid dishes like tomato sauce... which will strip seasoning.
On a typical morning I'll cook bacon or sausage first... in saved grease (refrigerated in a coffee can). I'll pour off the grease after the bac/sausage is done. When the pan stops dripping, I wipe the edge with a paper towel (so it doesn't get so much on the burner... smoke alarm!) and put the pan back for fried or scrambled eggs. There's enough grease & I don't like my eggs swimming. This has worked for me.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: limetwist
Stats: [5'8"] 230/IT IS A MYSTERY/135ish
WOE: Low carb - Intermittent fasting
Start Date: 01/2011, got lazy/married, rebooting FOR REAL 2014
Who told you cast iron was meant for low-fat cooking? :0 Cast iron is destined for FAT! I don't really use it, because it's too fussy for me most of the time. But you can fry up bacon, sausage and even shallow fry stuff in it. That will help it get seasoned.

I use stainless steel pans for most of my cooking. I got mine at Costco--it's their house brand of pans.

I have a single non-stick skillet that I purchased at ALDI, and I specifically use this pan to cook eggs. Rarely anything else.

I have two pressure cookers (both stainless steel, Presto brand) as well. A 6 qt and an 8 qt. These are LIFE. SAVERS. I cook everything in my pressure cookers. I "steam" eggs (for hardboiled eggs, they jump out of their shells practically), cook vegetable side dishes (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, cabbage, ANYTHING), make stews, cook roasts (in about an hour to falling apart tender), make fall-apart chicken quarters in 8 minutes, cook chicken breasts in 2 minutes...

Long story short: Get a pressure cooker. You can brown in the bottom of it, and then pressure cook your way to victory.

Born again from the bread crumbs—a life journal, low-carb style
limetwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sirtain
Stats: 202then/154March/Xnow/140soon
WOE: Paleo+JUDDD
Start Date: March 2013
I love my cast iron pan, and it IS perfect for cooking with fat. I use my 'green' ceramic pan for no-fat cooking- things just slide off.

Flagman- thanks for the reminder on how to 'wash' it - I think too many people do it incorrectly and think that cast iron is too much trouble/doesn't work well.
Sirtain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #11

Gallery: FatCat
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Oct. '99
I 'rescued' a cast iron skillet from the dump a couple years ago. It was pretty nasty with gooey, baked on grease, especially on the bottom and sides.

I used a lot of elbow grease, lye, even chisels and a wire brush to clean it up. But I got the outside and bottom down to metal again....the inside wasn't as bad and I was careful not to scrap that nice coating of carbon off the bottom.

I use it almost every morning for making omelets....the eggs slide out like it was a brand new Teflon coated pan.

I'll occasionally fry meat in it, but not often. To clean, I use hot water and soap and a sponge with the blue scotchbrite on it. Never scrub too hard....then warm it up to dry it off, add a little oil back on it.

Best 'investment' I've ever made!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much everyone for the ideas! I have to go into the city tomorrow so will hit some big stores and see what I can find.
I have a really good stainless steel set of pots that I love but the frying pan drives me crazy. Everything sticks I find. And I want to stay away from Teflon. I will take all the suggestions with me!
And thanks for the cleaning tips. Perhaps that's why I didn't like the cast iron pan years ago.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Here's one more before you run off shopping, without me! (I love shopping and kitchen stuff is the best!) Look for ScanPans. You might have to look on line. They are made in Demark and have a ceramic, non stick coating. Nothing, sticks. I love them!

I use All-Clad for pots and have a couple cast iron, but it does get heavy...
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
I bought the Lodge brand from Target (or Walmart) and I use it every single morning to cook. They come pre-seasoned and I have never had problems with anything sticking, unless there isn't enough butter/fat.

I also listened to a podcast by Bulletproof Executive where they discuss this issue. They say NO to teflon, aluminum and stainless steel. They recommended enamel cast or ceramic. They mentioned the brand Tivoli, which I was able to buy a large stock pot today from Ross for $18.
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Lodge cast iron cookware is top shelf of the modern made. I would happily use it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #16

Gallery: FatCat
Start Date: Oct. '99
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyBell View Post
I also listened to a podcast by Bulletproof Executive where they discuss this issue. They say NO to teflon, aluminum and stainless steel.
why 'no' to aluminum?
FatCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

And why no to stainless steel?

Not that I'll be getting rid of my fully clad lots and pans, I love them!
Old 11-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
Start Date: which time?
Ditto... What Ntombi, said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
And why no to stainless steel?

Not that I'll be getting rid of my fully clad lots and pans, I love them!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, um, I meant pots.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Now I wonder too... I have all stainless steel pots, pans and frying pans. I cook on electric so I can't get the cast iron to work for me...

I also have enamel coated steel pots, they've been in my family for about 30 years... I got rid of all aluminium and teflon type cookware.

I do use silicone bakeware occasionally.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bettycooker
Stats: 189/154/140
WOE: gluten free
Start Date: January 2012
From what I read when I researched the subject, stainless steel has more and more mystery metals these days. The best way to find out if it is a high grade surgical stainless steel is the check with a magnet. The magnet should stick to the best pan. I also found out the old Visions Ware or Corning Ware from the 70's is a good choice. I've found it at the best prices at Goodwill and garage sales. Ebay can be 10 times the price.
bettycooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:20 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh, well the Cuisinart MultiClad Pro I have is 18/10 stainless wrapped around a core of aluminum, just like All-Clad. That's the optimal rating for stainless.

And yes, they all work with infusion cookware, which requires ferrous cookware.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Either glass, ceramic, or cast iron.

I recently got a new ceramic pan and it is amazing - food cooks evenly, no sticking, easy to clean, and much much lighter than my cast iron pans which makes it easier to fry eggs every morning.

I cook soups in glass pots and do my stews in cast iron.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
No aluminum because it is suppose to cause alzheimer, that's why when using aluminum foil you should always use parchment paper to protest the food.

I think teflon is ending it's times in 2014 because it is bad.

Thats when I bought my first ceramic fry pan. I love it too.

I have stainless steel cookware that's 40 years old.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettycooker View Post
From what I read when I researched the subject, stainless steel has more and more mystery metals these days. The best way to find out if it is a high grade surgical stainless steel is the check with a magnet. The magnet should stick to the best pan. I also found out the old Visions Ware or Corning Ware from the 70's is a good choice. I've found it at the best prices at Goodwill and garage sales. Ebay can be 10 times the price.

I've bought a lot of stainless steel hardware for our barn and boats and I was told that a magnet would not stick to the better quality stainless steel but would stick the the lower grades that have cheaper grades of materials mixed with it. Magnets shouldn't stick to good stainless or aluminum.

I checked all the chains we bought for our horse wash bay area to make sure they wouldn't rust by using a magnet.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JennyBell
Stats: 269/253.4/165
WOE: High Fat Low Carb
Start Date: 08-26-13
Something about nickel leaking into the foods. They also claimed iron leaking into the foods from cast iron, which could be a problem for people whom aren't amenic and get too much, but it tastes so much better, so I'm not going to worry about it.
JennyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Well the shopping trip wasn't overly successful today. Went to four different stores and all I could find was Teflon coated! One store did have a ceramic coated frying pan but not in the size I was looking for. Then low and behold I found some cast iron frying pans at my last stop - Walmart!!!! I bought the smaller one and have seasoned it twice so we will see how the eggs cook in the morning.
I appreciate everyone's input. And I am taking by the last few posts that the ceramic would be a good choice too. Since Christmas shopping starts soon, I will just keep my eye open every time I am out.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #28

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
my friend Judy broke her ceramic stovetop to bits with a cast iron skillet. it was VERY expensive to replace. also can be scratchy on the ceramic top, depending on the pan. I KNOW you probably don't have one, but some people do, and it is a factor to think about. I wouldn't use one on mine.

plus, you know they do release iron into food. this is usually good if you are a woman still having periods. normally bad for men and older women. high iron consumption can lead to high levels of iron in the blood which is correlated with heart trouble. as an aside, best not to take vitamins with iron unless you are menstruating or have low blood levels too!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:55 AM   #29
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
I have wagnerware magnalite sauce pans that wear like iron. The pans I have may be over 30 years old but these have been around for over 50 years. The pans I have just keep going and going. I was given a roaster from my Father-in-law as it was his mothers and love it. This one is probably 50 years old. They are made of cast blended aluminum and magnesium, though and do not plan on stop using them. Because there has been no conclusive evidence to support that theory.

I do however need a pan that I can fry in. I cannot lift cast iron anymore. So I was thinking of getting another non-stick skillet but now I am not sure what to do.
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
I would like to try a ceramic coated stainless pan myself but haven't really looked for one. I looked at those Green pans that are at Wal-Mart but they are coated aluminum so I passed on those.

I wanted to mention that whenever I use my stainless skillets and cast iron cookware that after I clean them I will also rub coconut oil into them to keep them seasoned and stick free. I also do that to the non-stick aluminum skillets I have which I very rarely use. Sometimes when I take my stainless out of the dishwasher or even when I hand wash it there is sometimes still a whitish, tannish film on it and if you sprinkle a bit of Bar Keepers Friend on it and with a bit of light scrubbling you will feel that lift off, then rinse well, dry and rub with coconut oil or lard.

Last edited by PaminKY; 11-05-2013 at 08:26 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote