Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Inside-Out Pizza Muffins

These came about from a picture I saw on Pinterest yesterday. The clever salami "bowls" this person created for an antipasto salad just had all kinds of other applications for me, the first of which is the pizza muffin below:

And you can hold them in your hand effortlessly, so they will make a great lunch, snack or party food!

As I said, my inspiration was a photo on Blueberriesandblessings website (via Pinterest). they were just so clever! First off I made 6 of the little “bowls” exactly as she did. But 400º and 10 minutes was too hot for my oven. The first batch of “bowls” got way too brown and didn't taste so great that brown. Then I made 6 more at 350º for only 6 minutes. That was just right. You only want to partially cook the salami to firm it up a bit.

You can use any toppings, but I have provided the nutritional stats for the toppings I chose today for my bread-in-the-middle pizza muffins. You can use a slice of any low-carb bread you have on hand, or even cut up a low-carb tortilla, or a Joseph’s Oat Fiber/Flax Pita for the “bread layer”. I used a slice of my Gluten-Free Focaccia Bread I had in my freezer (defrosting it first, of course). I wanted the bread layer real thin, so I sliced the bread less than ¼” thick laterally, so I ended up using only about 3/4 of a whole slice. I sliced the slice laterally one time and cut each thin layer into 4 small squares, using 6 of the 8 squares for my recipe.

The final pizza muffins were FANTASTIC! Not too salty, not too cheesy, not too gooey, so they were easily hand held.

It took 3 of these to fill me up at lunch, as I ate nothing else along with them. There’s just 4 bites in each one. I used a square muffin pan for mine, but a round one will work just fine. This recipe makes six of these babies and serves two adults in my opinion. But as usual, I will provide per piece stats and you can judge what you think a serving size is.

INGREDIENTS:

6 slices hard or Genoa salami (I used Hormel)
1 slice my Gluten-Free Foccacia Bread
3 oz. pork breakfast sausage
1 oz. onion, finely chopped
6 tsp. (2 T.) tomato paste
3 oz. mozzarella, shredded (more if you like)
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning or dried oregano leaves
½ oz. green bell pepper, sliced into 12 pieces
6 olives, sliced

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Push 1 slice of salami down into the slots of a muffin pan (square or round will work just fine). Pop pan into oven and bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven. Brown the pork sausage and onion together in a non-stick skillet just until no longer pink. Remove from heat.

Slice your bread laterally into 2 thinner slices and then slice each of those into 4 squares (you will use only 6 of the 8). Push one square of bread down firmly into each salami “bowl”. Trim if necessary to allow the bread to sit flat at the bottom of the salami “bowl”. Spread 1 tsp. tomato paste atop each bread slice. Sprinkle the sauce evenly with the Italian seasoning. Sprinkle about 1 tsp. mozzarella on each muffin next. Then 1/6 of the browned sausage and onion mixture. Than sprinkle 1 tsp. more cheese on top. The cheese acts as a binder for all the ingredients. Top with sliced olives (1 olive per muffin) and place 2 pieces of the bell pepper on each. Pop into a 350º oven for about 8-10 minutes or until they are lightly browning on top. Lift them gently out of the pan slots with a knife tip or fork and place on a plate. Serve at once.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 6 pizza muffins, each contains:
131 calories
23 g fat
2.38 g carbs, .60 g fiber, 1.78 g NET CARBS
335 mg sodium
120 mg potassium
15% RDA Vitamin B12, 11% calcium, 13% phosphorous, 9% zinc, <10% all other nutrients

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
CUTE, Peggy, and - YUM!!! DH would love these.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Thank you, Char. They were delicious!
buttoni is online now   Reply With Quote