Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Christmas Wish List - what is yours? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/815901-christmas-wish-list-what-yours.html)

Nigel 10-24-2013 01:16 PM

Christmas Wish List - what is yours?

This is mine, so far...

KitcheAid 13-cup Food Processor with ExatSlice System

And several power tools, of course, but just for the kitchen/cooking area, the food processor.

Charski 10-24-2013 01:18 PM

Hmmm, haven't thought much about it yet, honestly!

I'm pretty well stocked up for the kitchen - although I want to try my hand at homemade sausages, so maybe a sausage stuffer machine!

Nigel 10-24-2013 05:13 PM

Cool Beans...that might be fun too!!

millergirl1976 10-24-2013 05:15 PM

A really great set of knives. And I am open for input and suggestions on what type to get.

GingerAnn 10-24-2013 09:29 PM

I want the ninja blender that is a food processor too.

I can dream of a sous vide machine. But that isn't probable.

snowangel9 10-24-2013 11:59 PM

Christmas serving platters. I love those things. Had to slap my own hand from snatching them up at Macy's. The kids always want to know what I what. So, I'll wait...

Millergirl, you can't go wrong with Wusthof. I love mine and you can get a starter set pretty reasonably priced...

lterry913 10-25-2013 07:48 AM

Since it's a wish list... I would wish for a really good espresso/ cappuccino/latte machine... I love my lattes... Unfortunately they are hundreds of dollars and I just can't justify it. I had a cheap one and it just wasn't worth the work for how bad the finished product tasted.

flossie73 10-25-2013 07:58 AM

A roasting pan with a rack.

NAT&RD 10-25-2013 08:46 AM

A side of grass fed beef.

tulipsandroses 10-25-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16657835)
Since it's a wish list... I would wish for a really good espresso/ cappuccino/latte machine... I love my lattes... Unfortunately they are hundreds of dollars and I just can't justify it. I had a cheap one and it just wasn't worth the work for how bad the finished product tasted.

I second this. I finally threw out my Mr. Coffee espresso maker because the end product was just so awful tasting. Don't know if my taste buds have just changed or what because I used to like the coffee it made. Go figure?:dunno:
I'm almost tempted to replace it with a Kuerig or the Starbucks Verissimo. Not sure yet though.

dianafoot 10-27-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millergirl1976 (Post 16657273)
A really great set of knives. And I am open for input and suggestions on what type to get.

I find that knife sets often contain 2 or 3 knives that you will almost never use. I would suggest instead that you start with one really, really good chef's knife and invest in a high-quality knife sharpener. Then add a couple of different knives according to what you do most in the kitchen.

I have 2 Henckel's chef knives. The only other two knives I use are inexpensive--a small paring knife and a bread knife. And my mandolin slicer gets almost as much use as my knives.

dianafoot 10-27-2013 06:26 AM

I want another immersion blender like the old Braun that I got almost 15 years ago. It had an attachment with a little bowl like a tiny food processor where you could chop nuts, whir together pesto, etc. without having to use a full-size blender. The little plastic bowl finally fell apart. The only other hand-held blender I can find with that kind of attachment has terrible reviews. Anyone have any ideas?

millergirl1976 10-28-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16659823)
I find that knife sets often contain 2 or 3 knives that you will almost never use. I would suggest instead that you start with one really, really good chef's knife and invest in a high-quality knife sharpener. Then add a couple of different knives according to what you do most in the kitchen.

I have 2 Henckel's chef knives. The only other two knives I use are inexpensive--a small paring knife and a bread knife. And my mandolin slicer gets almost as much use as my knives.

That is really good advice! Thank you!

Nigel 10-31-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 16656966)

This is mine, so far...

KitcheAid 13-cup Food Processor with ExatSlice System

And several power tools, of course, but just for the kitchen/cooking area, the food processor.

I never could wait until Christmas to open my presents anyway...I got my food processor today and it's the le creme de la creme...wow!! I've never had a food processor so big. It's so cool and it came with a plastic box to keep all the blades in too. I mostly got it for the slicing part, but I'm sure I will use it for a lot of things besides slicing. The box says its the first model of it's kind. Well, it's a first for me.

My wife (being funny) said oh yeah, that thing is so big that after you make dinner, you can go and mow the lawn with it. ROFL

I can't wait to play with it this weekend. (I'll probably have to mow the lawn a lot more often too!!:dunno:)

snowangel9 10-31-2013 12:39 PM

That's funny Nigel! I'm the same way. My kids hate it. If I really want, then most likely, I'll go get it! I wanted one of those and wonder what possessed me get the one without the external slice... Oh well, I haven't used it yet anyway.

Have your wife video the lawn mowing would you? I'd pay to see that.. :D

Nelle Belle 10-31-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16659826)
I want another immersion blender like the old Braun that I got almost 15 years ago. It had an attachment with a little bowl like a tiny food processor where you could chop nuts, whir together pesto, etc. without having to use a full-size blender. The little plastic bowl finally fell apart. The only other hand-held blender I can find with that kind of attachment has terrible reviews. Anyone have any ideas?

I have one like that. I believe the big A sells the parts. Search Braun multimix.

Nigel 10-31-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16665623)
That's funny Nigel! I'm the same way. My kids hate it. If I really want, then most likely, I'll go get it! I wanted one of those and wonder what possessed me get the one without the external slice... Oh well, I haven't used it yet anyway.

Have your wife video the lawn mowing would you? I'd pay to see that.. :D

hahaha!! I would pay to see someone else mow my lawn too!! :)

Charski 10-31-2013 08:37 PM

Diana, I did the search "immersion blender attachments" on the big A and there are some pretty good reviews on Cuisinart, KitchenAid, and Breville, for the ones with the chopping bowl attachment.

Mine has the chopping bowl but I hardly ever use it - I have a 3 cup Cuisinart so that's what I use when I want to chop a small amount.

Nigel 11-08-2013 12:50 PM

I have a new wish item: Ninja Storm

Oh, I know, I'm addicted to kitchen appliances.

PaminKY 11-08-2013 01:04 PM

You and me both, Nigel. My husband has already promised to install me a large pantry on our retirement home to store all my kitchen toys.

My wish is for a Cuisinart ICE-100 Ice Cream Maker. I've got a little Deni that I bought off the clearance rack that I do like but it has the freezer bowl that takes up too much room in my fridge freezer, plus I like the thought of being able to make one batch after another.

Another addiction of mine is cookbooks and I found a Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream cookbook at Goodwill for $.50 and it's got me wanting to make some ice cream big time.

dianafoot 11-08-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charski (Post 16666198)
Diana, I did the search "immersion blender attachments" on the big A and there are some pretty good reviews on Cuisinart, KitchenAid, and Breville, for the ones with the chopping bowl attachment.

Mine has the chopping bowl but I hardly ever use it - I have a 3 cup Cuisinart so that's what I use when I want to chop a small amount.

Thanks Charski--I'll search it right now!

Gabby1 11-08-2013 02:58 PM

I would like a Food Saver- does anyone else have one and/or a model they can recommend?

Love&Luck 11-08-2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianafoot (Post 16676373)
Thanks Charski--I'll search it right now!

Just a review for you - I have the KitchenAid and use it all the time. The motor is great, but the metal stick/blade part keeps coming out of the attachment (not the twisty part but where it's supposed to be permanently attached). I keep gluing it back but I probably wouldn't get another one for that reason.

purpleducks 11-08-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabby1 (Post 16676385)
I would like a Food Saver- does anyone else have one and/or a model they can recommend?

DH just got me the Food Saver 2470 model. Love it. Packaged up 55 pounds of chicken breasts and 10 pounds of bacon in less than 2 hours.
Great new toy LOL

purpleducks 11-08-2013 03:43 PM

I wish for a cast iron skillet, a julienne peeler or mandoline.

While we're wishing, I'd love a working dishwasher...love cooking, hate washing all the dishes.

shunsweets 11-09-2013 07:28 AM

I would like a toaster oven. One that actually makes decent toast as well as bakes. Any suggestions?

Nigel 11-09-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shunsweets (Post 16676864)
I would like a toaster oven. One that actually makes decent toast as well as bakes. Any suggestions?

I suggest getting one that says convection oven on it that will hold a whole chicken. I have one that I've been using for years.

Toaster ovens that say convection are not actually convection like the big ovens, but they do cook very well.

Mine is a DeLonghi, don't know if they still sell them--I've had it that long.

I have used food savers for years...the original one until I finally just wore it out and then another one several years ago. I've only had to replace the parts that seal and the jar sealer once, but I use it all the time.

Charski 11-09-2013 08:31 PM

My newest wish is for our own pal Jennifer Eloff's new cookbooks! :love: They're now available for pre-order. I need to let Santa know this.

And from what I saw on FB - there are lovely color photos and recipes are organized now by category rather than by recipe author. That will make it easier to find what I'm looking for! :)

I have all her other cookbooks and LOVE LOVE them. Can't wait to get my hands on these! :aprayer:

snowangel9 11-10-2013 05:25 PM

Well, if we're still wishing, I have been eyeing the same ice cream maker as Pam. I think. If that's the one that does it all and doesn't need to pre-freeze the bowl, yep!

The only bad part of loving kitchen gadgets, is downsizing. I'm running out of room. Good thing I'm creative! :)

SHinOK 11-11-2013 07:45 AM

A donut pan and a mini muffin pan. Oh, and all of Maria Emmerich's books/cookbooks! :)