Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
[B]Okay, time to confess....[/B]

With my recent move, i decided to go through my recipe 'collection'. I crack me up! I have gotten rid of at least 2500 recipes. And I'd guess I still have thousands more. Yes, thousands. Tons of Linda Sue's, and at least 12 notebooks full! Plus all the ones I kept!

So fess up, how many recipes do you have? Surely, I'm not the only one with this 'addiction'!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I am addicted also.

I have piles of recipes, both tried and untried and piles of cookbooks.

I couldn't even guesstimate how many I might have.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
Start Date: September 2000
I confess also. I have thousands. I am a recipe hoarder. It's a form of OCD, but it's cheap and harmless, so I am not going into rehab.
Soobee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Gramma
Stats: 168/157/118
Start Date: Restart 8/31/2013
My Confession

We're downsizing in a few months and we're already in the "process" of clearing out and cleaning up ... recipes included. And since many if not most of them are from my non-lc days, I'll have lots to dispose of. At last count, three three-ring binders, two kraft envelopes, a stack I hadn't "filed" and I haven't counted the cookbooks accumulated over the years.

It will be cathartic, though ... without all those opportunities to cook badly, I'll have all the more reason to cook better for myself and Darling Hubby.
Gramma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I still have a three-ring binder of recipes that I started in high school!

COUNTLESS cookbooks, although I have weeded through and gotten rid of a lot of them. HUNDREDS if not thousands of recipes I've saved to notepad documents, and zillions more that I've bookmarked, or saved on recipe sites like allrecipes and food and others.

Not to mention those that I've saved off in emails.
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I'm up there with the rest of you.But now that I'm not able to eat a lot of foods I got rid of many many cookbooks.
Goodwill is very happy with me.

I do love to read cookbooks.And I'm buying a new dairy free chocolate cookbbook.

Last edited by rosethorns; 10-23-2013 at 12:37 PM..
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I am addicted also.

I have piles of recipes, both tried and untried and piles of cookbooks.

I couldn't even guesstimate how many I might have.
Oh, that's not counting the cookbooks! No siree bob! And it didn't stop me from buying a new cookbook Saturday!

I keep telling my self that Soobee. I mean I'm not hurting anyone, right?!

I hear that too Charski, some of the ones I got rid of I've had for probably 30 years! Figured if I haven't tried them yet, I probably won't!

I also find I collect a lot of the same 'sounding' ones. So, at least I'm consistent!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I no longer collect published cookbooks, and have sold most of those at garage sales over the years. But I must confess, I now have 25 three-ring notebooks crammed full of recipes, most of them 2" & 3" binders, so I may have all of you topped. They are filled with my life-long collection and those I've gathered on the net over the last 4-5 years. I've concluded if I cooked a new one ever day of my life until I die, I'll never get to try them all. But I'll never lack for a broad selection to chose from. LOL
Old 10-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I no longer collect published cookbooks, and have sold most of those at garage sales over the years. But I must confess, I now have 25 three-ring notebooks crammed full of recipes, most of them 2" & 3" binders, so I may have all of you topped. They are filled with my life-long collection and those I've gathered on the net over the last 4-5 years. I've concluded if I cooked a new one ever day of my life until I die, I'll never get to try them all. But I'll never lack for a broad selection to chose from. LOL

Ahh... We may have a winner! 25?! Do you need a few more? I just emptied three, 4" ones!! I know, I'd have to cook several new recipes everyday but doubt I'd make much of a dent!
Old 10-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I have loads of cookbooks, plus all the saved recipes from online. Like Peggy said, if I cooked a new recipe every day for the rest of my life I could never get through them all! I have to admit though, most of my saved recipes are sweets!! LOL

I do like trying new meal recipes but more often than not I just make them up as I go or I'm inspired by a recipe that I check out. I guess maybe it's because baking seems a little more complex and dependent on exact measurements and cooking is just what looks and tastes good and can be altered much easier, for me anyways!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LindaSue
Stats: 167/117/120 - 5'7"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance
Start Date: July 2002
Quote:
But I heard a rumor that low carb diets are boring and monotonous and not sustainable. All you eat is bacon and cauliflower, LOL. Oh, and pork rinds.
LindaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Here's the odd part of all of this testimony

Whilst we are admitting that we cannot cook all the recipes that we
have, even a new one per day until the end of time; we still keep
creating new ones. I find this very irritating of myself. I have favorites,
but they are hidden amongst the 1000's of ordinary recipes that I have
saved. I am 80 and I started saving recipes at 15 years old. I have done
the 'spring cleaning' out...over and over again. I threw away my WW
recipes, but then I kept the online board called Diet Kitchen,
a conglomeration of everyone's diet. I didn't pull the plug because people
asked me not to. I have had my LC Kitchen for years.

Cannot say how much I have because it is embarrassing and I keep
purchasing new books, and writing new recipes. Addicted? Probably,
it might even be a cousin to 'hoarding' but hey....I guess it's who I am.

Last edited by Barbo; 10-23-2013 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: err
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
We have an entire bookshelf (tall one with 5 shelves) of cookbooks and food magazines like Cook's Illustrated, Fine Cooking and Food Network magazine, plus at least 1-2 shelves of cookbooks on other bookshelves. Plus a giant box of printed recipes. Plus two binders of recipes that I need to go through, plus a huge number of free cookbooks on my Kindle (not idea how many but probably 50 or more), plus the entire Fine Cooking digital magazine archive 1994-2011 on CD. Plus an index card file of handwritten recipes. Plus saved recipes on my computer, no idea how many but quite a few.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobee View Post
I confess also. I have thousands. I am a recipe hoarder. It's a form of OCD, but it's cheap and harmless, so I am not going into rehab.
You cracked me up bigtime, Soobee. Talk about OCD, I'm my mother's daughter. She has probably 1000 magazines in her dinky apartment, 500 cookbooks and boxes and boxes of loose clipped magazine recipes in envelopes. But she lives alone and it's boredom therapy. The irony, is she doesn't cook AT ALL now that she has dementia. Eats all her meals in the dining facilities where she lives. Lord, I hope I never get THAT bad.

I feel a wee bit better that mine are at least organized into category books and I can find what I'm looking for.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

WHEW, I'm not along. Barbo, let's not get carried away here, no we are not hoarding, we are collectors! Big difference right?!

Ginaaa, me too! But they all sound so good!

I know, right Linda Sue! Sooo boring... You, though woman are a big part of my hoard, um I mean collection! The only reason to be bored is if you can't cook...

Oh Mitsti, I forgot about the magazines! I love Fine Cooking, the Food Network, and several others....

I have been putting off going to Buttoni's site, because I I know I won't be able to keep my hands inside the ride! Don't think just looking is in my genes!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
Old 10-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Oh my goodness, it is good to know I'm not alone! I counted 45 vegan cookbooks before deciding to give most of them to the used book store. Have been weeding out a couple of hundred more various cookbooks as I'm downsizing. Haven't tackled the binders full of Weight Watchers, Vegetarian, Family Favorites, etc. yet. And to think I am racking my brain tonight trying to figure out what to cook that hasn't been in the rotation for the past two weeks!
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I confess. I'm also a recipe collector. I spend a lot of the little free time I have looking at recipes. These days I keep most of them in Master Cook. I've got 242 cookbooks in MC with thousands and thousands of recipes. I've also got hundreds of physical cookbooks that I'm not willing to part with. 99% of them I probably can't even use anymore as I'm LC for life. But, I LOVE my cookbooks. I'm hoping that my dd will want at least some of them when she has a place of her own. That way I'll be able to visit them.
I've also got Taste of Home, Quick Cooking and whatever the name of the healthy magazine put out by them is. These go back to 1998. I've got Cooking Light magazines that go back to 2003 and Bon Appetit that I can't remember how far they go back.. Oh, and years of Rachel Ray. And tons of miscellaneous and seasonal magazines. I let my subscriptions fade away last year when I made the change to my woe. I really wish there was a great LC recipe magazine. I'm always SO tempted to buy the magazines when I'm at the store, but so far, have resisted. Don't need that temptation.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Oh gaaaaasp

You all reminded me of the magazine subscriptions.
Thanks be to heaven I have cancelled all of them so no more....

No one mentioned the Food Network or Top Chef, or the Cooking Channel????

Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
You all reminded me of the magazine subscriptions.
Thanks be to heaven I have cancelled all of them so no more....

No one mentioned the Food Network or Top Chef, or the Cooking Channel????

Yep, I forgot about all my Food Network magazines.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I ditched my 15 years of cross-referenced Bon Apetit and Gourmet magazines when we moved away from the coast. Downsizing will force you to do that. Just no place in my current house to have housed all of those. Can't say I miss them. I spent my second year of LC'ing changing up my TNT recipes to be LC and ditched any I didn't think could ever be low-carbed without great flavor sacrifice.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
I have tons of recipes saved in various formats, but I can't top most of you, lol! I do think it's a nice, harmless pursuit, though. Back when my girls used to take dance classes after school, I'd go to the library and read cookbooks to pass the time! I still spend a ridiculous amount of time on Pinterest pinning recipes. Now I have a Nexus tablet and I can have everything at my fingertips in the kitchen. At least it doesn't take up so much space.
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I ditched my 15 years of cross-referenced Bon Apetit and Gourmet magazines when we moved away from the coast. Downsizing will force you to do that. Just no place in my current house to have housed all of those. Can't say I miss them. I spent my second year of LC'ing changing up my TNT recipes to be LC and ditched any I didn't think could ever be low-carbed without great flavor sacrifice.
That's exactly it. I just got rid of a bunch of those recipes. Just too complicated for me, now. I don't want to spend that much time on a recipe. Maybe when I was younger... And this is what the culling is doing. If I don't want to take the time to make it low carb, out it goes.

Organizing, is a whole 'nuther topic! . I too, let all the subscriptions lapse. It was getting to just be too much..
Old 10-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
I'm joining the group of recipe fanatics! I have notebooks full of recipes, tons of cookbooks, I don't know how many recipes I currently have on my computer, but I have burned a bunch to CD 's and downloaded a bunch more onto flash drives. I copy recipes on line into folders on my computer into favorite recipes, recipes to try and my own recipes. After I have cleaned up the computer and put stuff onto storage devices, I delete them from the computer and start all over again! Funny thing is that as recipes come back around I copy them and put into folders again because I don't remember that I already have them! Periodically I go over CD 's and flash drives and delete duplicates.

I constantly browse the web looking at recipes and, more importantly, pictures of food--love it!

I'm like you, Gina, I have a lot of dessert recipes -- they always sound and look so good!

Peggy, wait till you're your mother's age, I suspect we'll all get there someday!

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Nowadays, any recipe I want to keep goes in a file on my laptop (which gets backed up frequently). That way I just put it on the counter, maximize the window, and cook away--much better visually than a cookbook! And I don't have to worry about the internet going down, which it does often around here.
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Funny thing is that as recipes come back around I copy them and put into folders again because I don't remember that I already have them! hyst:
I did that very thing just yesterday. Printed a copy of a gingerbread cake recipe, picture and all, only to discover it was already in my CAKE notebook. What a waste of printer ink, paper and photo paper. Oy Vey! And yes, I DO know I'm catching up with my mother, age-wise for sure....hopefully not dementia-wise.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Well Peggy, I'm getting up there age-wise and I find myself saying "I don't remember" a lot more than I used to! I don't forget important things or where I left my keys so I think I'm ok, but I certainly have senior moments!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:11 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kalatraza
Stats: 280/255/145
Start Date: January 2011
Hi, my name is Kelly, and I'm a recipe hoarder. I've haven't collected a new recipe since. . . um. . .30 seconds ago. Aaaaand that's about as long as it lasts.

I did get rid of my pristine collection of Cooking Light yearbooks. They are useless to me with this WOE. And a lot of the magazines went for the same reason.

But my collection in Evernote is ridiculous. And I think I hit 3000 recipes on my Pinterest board the other day. Every time I visit here, I add a zillion things to Evernote. And when I do cook, well, sometimes it's a recipe and more often it's a throw together of what's in the kitchen. And when I plan to cook, I look at 30 different recipes for, say, chili, and then kinda mix them together. LOL.

So glad I'm not alone.
kalatraza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Nope, we all definitely have a 'problem'! But as problems go, I'll gladly take this one! Never at a lost for ideas! And I still love reading or looking through cookbooks. Although I did manage to not but a new one yesterday at Barnes & Noble!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherrymyra
I confess. I too have thousands of printed off recipes. If it looks good I print it and I try to get a picture with it. I love pictures. I have been meaning to at least get them sorted out in categories so I can make some sense of them. I have a folder of "favorites" started and tend to go back and make them over and over though. I know I have several repeats but I either don't remember or I see it again and it looks so good I just reprint it rather than look for it in my piles.

I have given away most of my cookbook collection. I had a couple hundred probably but won't use them again. Just took up space.
sherrymyra is offline   Reply With Quote