Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Need inspiration for Costco rotisseried chix chunks! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/low-carb-recipe-help-suggestions/815677-need-inspiration-costco-rotisseried-chix-chunks.html)

Charski 10-21-2013 08:44 AM

Need inspiration for Costco rotisseried chix chunks!
 
So I bought a bag that is about a pound and a half of Costco's rotisseried chicken breast chunks/pieces - thought I might make chicken enchiladas, but there is a LOT of chicken here! :) Please share your great ideas for cooked chicken breast pieces! Point me at any recipes if you could.

Thanks Buddies!
Char

ouizoid 10-21-2013 09:00 AM

I think the following could be frozen after prep?

chicken tetrazini over spaghetti squash
chicken alfredo sauce
chicken pot pie innards
chicken chile verde
chicken enchiladas
your famous butter chicken ;)

Tweaker Geek 10-21-2013 09:05 AM

Hey, Char--I would probably make a chicken vegetable soup or some sort of chicken casserole. I say that because I roasted a turkey breast a few days ago and that's what I did with leftover turkey. I also made a yummy turkey quesadilla with turkey, jalapenos, salsa and cheese. I put it all together on lc tortillas and put in a dry frying pan and cooked till crispy and browned up, flipped it over and browned other side, then served with extra salsa and sour cream.:yummy:

Charski 10-21-2013 09:06 AM

LOL Ouisue! Great ideas, and thank you! :friends:

Mmmm, chicken soup - great idea too, Tweak! :hugs:

snowangel9 10-21-2013 11:22 AM

There's always chicken salad. Just made some last night. I would freeze it. I use to do that a lot. Freeze it in 2 cup packages and then I was ready for whatever I wanted to cook!

MsWoods 10-21-2013 12:46 PM

For chicken recipes, MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

My favorite. I've also made it, but added miracle rice to it to bulk it out and reduce calories. It's really yummy as well. I add the MR before I bake it.

millergirl1976 10-21-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16652472)
There's always chicken salad. Just made some last night. I would freeze it. I use to do that a lot. Freeze it in 2 cup packages and then I was ready for whatever I wanted to cook!

Its really good made with a ripe avacado instead of mayo for something different. I love that pre-made chicken from Costco! It is such a good bargain. I always get some at the beginning of the month. I like it for this recipe- it will come together in the time it takes you to cook up some green beans- ten minutes tops.

Chicken Paprikash

cut up chicken pieces
1 chopped onion
2 TBSPS paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 16 oz. container of sour cream

In a large frying pan on medium heat, saute the onion in a little oil until it is translucent. Add the paprika, salt and pepper and mix with the cooked onions. Add the chicken pieces to the skillet and cook in the seasonings on both sides. When the chicken is browned, add a small amount of water to the skillet (just enough so the chicken doesn't stick to the pan while cooking) and cover with a tight lid. If I use boneless, frozen chicken breasts I don't add additional water becase it has a saline solution that has been added to them. Simmer on low/med until the chicken is cooked through, about 1/2 an hour. Make sure that there is always some liquid in the bottom of the pan so the chicken doesn't stick. After the chicken is cooked through, remove to a platter. You should have a thick orangey, brown liquid left in the bot,tom of the pan. If the liquid is watery, reduce it by bringing to a boil and stirring constantly until it thickens up. After the liquid is thickened, turn aff the heat then add the container of sour cream and stir until it is all blended. This is your gravy, the best part of chicken paprikash. Traditionally it is served over nokedli (little dumplings) and the chicken, but for low carbing I serve it over canned green beens. This about the only way I like green beens now.

snowangel9 10-21-2013 03:52 PM

Two great ideas! Thanks millergirl! Thanks for asking Charski! :D

Dirty Harriet 10-21-2013 04:01 PM

Chicken tortilla soup or chicken quesadillas with low carb tortillas?

I love the pork carnitas from Costco...and so does my 20 pound rag doll cat!!:hiya:

Mistizoom 10-21-2013 06:37 PM

Didn't know you could buy bags of the rotisserie chicken chunks! Will have to look for that next time. I made cleochatra's chicken pizza crust last night and it was quite good. Would be pretty easy with pre-cooked chicken breast.

GME 10-21-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millergirl1976 (Post 16652603)
Its really good made with a ripe avacado instead of mayo for something different. I love that pre-made chicken from Costco! It is such a good bargain. I always get some at the beginning of the month. I like it for this recipe- it will come together in the time it takes you to cook up some green beans- ten minutes tops.

Chicken Paprikash

Is there too much pepper? I would be glad to partake of your pee-can pie. :laugh:

//When Harry Met Sally reference


Back to the chicken....

MsWoods 10-21-2013 06:47 PM

Man I wish we had a Costco. I don't even know what a bag of chicken chunks is lol I just assumed it was chicken lol.

millergirl1976 10-21-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GME (Post 16653099)
Is there too much pepper? I would be glad to partake of your pee-can pie. :laugh:

//When Harry Met Sally reference


Back to the chicken....

I'll have what she's having... :hyst:

One of my favorite movies ever!!

millergirl1976 10-21-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 16653101)
Man I wish we had a Costco. I don't even know what a bag of chicken chunks is lol I just assumed it was chicken lol.

It's pulled breast meat off their rotisserie chicken, packaged in a two lb pack. I asked my Costco to start doing it with dark meat too, and one of the meat managers said he would talk to the other managers. :jumpjoy: It's so reasonably priced- five bucks a pound.

sligh 10-21-2013 11:32 PM

And another one of Linda Sue's great casseroles:

CHICKEN AND SPINACH PARMESAN

2 cups diced cooked chicken
10 ounces frozen spinach, drained well
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded

Arrange chicken and spinach in a greased 8x8" baking dish. Salt to taste. Mix remaining ingredients and spread over chicken. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 40 minutes or until top is nicely browned. Don't skimp on the baking. The topping needs to be quite brown for good flavor.

Makes 4 servings

Per Serving: 530 Calories; 41g Fat; 34g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

sligh 10-21-2013 11:37 PM

Oh, and the other one I just thought of was Sheri's Creamy Southwestern Taco Soup. Sub out the ground beef for chicken and sub the beef broth with chicken broth. It's great.

CHERI'S CREAMY SOUTHWESTERN TACO SOUP

1 pound ground beef
2 3/4 ounces onion, chopped, 1/2 cup
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 10-ounce cans Ro-tel tomatoes, undrained (tomatoes with green chilies)
2 14.5-ounce cans beef broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

In a large soup pot, brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic; drain. Add the spices and cook a couple minutes. Drop the cream cheese in bits into the meat. With the back of a big spoon, smash it into the meat until no bits of white remain. Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through.

Makes 8 cups or 6-8 servings

Freezing not recommended

Per 1/6 Recipe: 361 Calories; 29g Fat; 18g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 6g Net Carbs

alex_in_wonderland 10-21-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Harriet (Post 16652879)
Chicken tortilla soup or chicken quesadillas with low carb tortillas?

I love the pork carnitas from Costco...and so does my 20 pound rag doll cat!!:hiya:

Not to derail the chicken discussion, but...
Love your cat Dirty Harriet! I have a 15 lb Ragamuffin that likes bacon, butter and coconut oil...he's my keto cat! :laugh:

Charski 10-22-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16653095)
Didn't know you could buy bags of the rotisserie chicken chunks! Will have to look for that next time. I made cleochatra's chicken pizza crust last night and it was quite good. Would be pretty easy with pre-cooked chicken breast.

They don't ALWAYS have them - but when they do, I'll grab a bag. It's vacuum-sealed so it stays fresh quite a while in the fridge.

Good idea to portion it out and freeze it too, whomever mentioned that upthread! :up:

So the decision is - chicken pot pie for tomorrow night. DH and I love it. I make a Carbquik crust for it. Thanks for that suggestion, Ouis! :)

Whatever chicken is left, I'll probably freeze for now, but I'm ready for some creamy green chile soup, which is really good with that chicken in it.

Also the LindaSue casseroles look wonderful!

Ah, thanks to all my great LCFs - you've come to my rescue yet again. :hugs:

MsWoods 10-22-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millergirl1976 (Post 16653175)
It's pulled breast meat off their rotisserie chicken, packaged in a two lb pack. I asked my Costco to start doing it with dark meat too, and one of the meat managers said he would talk to the other managers. :jumpjoy: It's so reasonably priced- five bucks a pound.

I had a feeling it was something awesome like that that I want but can't have:annoyed:

watcher513 10-23-2013 01:23 AM

I just saw this for the first time in the last week at our Costco. I know that some of the Costco's have had it like this for awhile.

millergirl1976 10-23-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by watcher513 (Post 16654812)
I just saw this for the first time in the last week at our Costco. I know that some of the Costco's have had it like this for awhile.

At my Costco, they dont even put them out. They just have them in the back at the chicken/ deli area, and you have to ask for them.

alex_in_wonderland 10-26-2013 08:18 PM

Hear me O Universe, I want a Costco membership for Christmas!

kalatraza 10-26-2013 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsWoods (Post 16652584)
For chicken recipes, MUSHROOM CHICKEN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

My favorite. I've also made it, but added miracle rice to it to bulk it out and reduce calories. It's really yummy as well. I add the MR before I bake it.

Such a great idea!! That's my favorite LC casserole but I have a portion control issue with it so don't make it a whole lot. MR, though, that fills you up. Thank you.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:26 AM.