Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Catzmom
Stats: 228/179/145
WOE: THM
Start Date: Half-hearted start 10/12 - Re-start July 25, 2013
Baking wheat confusion

Wheat protein isolate (5000, 8000) , vital wheat gluten, resistant wheat starch - are these all different names of interchangeable products? I don't have even close to enough money to keep all of these different ingredients on hand just in case! Then there's oat fiber, flax meal... I can't decide if these are really critically different things, or if its just people listing their own preferences in the recipe.

Help!
Catzmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
If you are making Kevins breads then you will need what is in the first sentence. Are you still eating wheat products?

oat fiber , coconut flour, glucocomannan, blanched almond flour,are used alot in everyday cooking and as gluten free baking.

There are many bake mixes . Buying all that stuff is expensive.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
They're all different products, and you would have to use the specific products in a recipe unless you know a substitute that would work.

When I first started baking low carb I bought all the different baking products, the ones you mentioned and a few more, but now I mostly just use almond flour, coconut flour and flax. It's not easy learning to bake low carb, and it is a matter of preference, and taste as well as being able to look at a recipe and tell if it's something you would like. After you figure all that out, then you can start changing recipes or even make up some of your own.

Like Esther said, there are a few different bake mixes that you can find on this forum, Jennifer Eloff has a few, ouizoid's fantastic flour mix is good and as you mentioned Kevin's mixes. They all use different baking products. It is kind of a pain figuring out which ones will work for you though!

This forum has a lot of amazing recipes, and if you have a specific recipe you can always ask about it.

Sorry, I'm probably just confusing you even more!
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I have almond flour, coconut flour, and I picked up some vital wheat gluten because I saw it on sale at Shaw's for a killer price. I don't have a gluten problem, just a carb problem. I only eat low carb wheat like these products.

The bake mixes look more like bisquick to me, so that's not a substitute for flour. Am I wrong about that? Oh how I miss "Add 1 cup of all purpose flour..." I miss understandable baking that far more than I miss sugar! Baking has long been like "physical valium" to me, very comforting.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Soobee
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: September 2000
What would you like to bake? We can direct you to tried and true recipes that might also work for you. I was lost when I went low carb 15 years ago. But now, like many long-timers, I have lists and lists of favorite recipes and recipes that I want to try. A good place to start is Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Recipes
Soobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I've been looking at KevinPa's bread and muffin recipes. I would love to try them but I can't afford all of the various ingredients. I have not been happy with any of the bread recipes that are 90% egg. I also have Atkins's bake mix, and I have made blueberry muffins with that twice, but they come out... weird. Spongy, and with an off taste. Some great muffin recipes, preferable without a bunch of expensive and odd ingredients, would be a great start!

I have done OK with cake recipes with almond flour, and great with cheesecake, of course. Made a killer fudge cake last week. :-) I break it into slices and freeze all but one portion at a time to keep myself out of trouble!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catzmom View Post
I have almond flour, coconut flour, and I picked up some vital wheat gluten because I saw it on sale at Shaw's for a killer price. I don't have a gluten problem, just a carb problem. I only eat low carb wheat like these products.

The bake mixes look more like bisquick to me, so that's not a substitute for flour. Am I wrong about that? Oh how I miss "Add 1 cup of all purpose flour..." I miss understandable baking that far more than I miss sugar! Baking has long been like "physical valium" to me, very comforting.

I can totally sympathize with you, as I'm sure all the other low carb bakers can. It really is like you're learning to bake all over again. The more you bake the better you will get.

The bake mixes aren't like bisquik mix, they are meant to be used as flour substitutes although Jennifer Eloff does have a specific bake mix that can be used in place of bisquik.

I would suggest starting with easier recipes that use almond flour and coconut flour since you already have those. Charski has a yummy Cherry Danish recipe that I believe has vital wheat gluten and almond flour. There's so many good recipes, that are tried and true by others. The Chicken Lady has an amazing Carrot Cake and an Almond Fudge Cake. Carolyn has a great recipe for Chocolate Chip Bars, Barbo just posted a really yummy recipe for apple upside down cake, and Jennifer Eloff's bake mixes can be used as a flour substitute, you can check out her cook books called splendid Low Carb Baking and Low Carbing Among Friends, as well as ouizoid's flour mix can be used as a flour. There's a yellow cake recipe and a pineapple upside down cake, they are both well liked and use ouizoid's flour mix. Buttoni(Peggy)has a blog with amazing recipes, that are very well liked. Carolyn Ketchum has some really good recipes as well. Just google these names and you will find their recipes and blogs. Most of them are right here on this forum.

You're going to have to do some reading and baking to really figure out how the different bake mixes work but if I were you, I would learn from others experience and not buy a whole bunch of different baking ingredients at once. You may end up throwing a lot of stuff out that you decide you don't like or want to use.

Soobee made a great suggestion, if you have something that you would like to bake low carb, like a cake, cookie or some other dessert in mind you can always ask for suggestions or recipes that are known to be good.

There's so many great recipes on here but it's not an easy task trying to figure out which ones you will like but if a recipe gets a lot of rave reviews it's usually a very good one. I say usually because everyone's taste are different, some like low carb recipes to taste as close to the real high carb recipes as possible, while others like the easier low carb recipes that replace the high carb ones but don't taste exactly like them. It just depends on how much you like to bake and what your preference is. I like low carb recipes that taste much like the high carb recipes.

Hopefully we can make the transition to low carb baking easier for you, but like I said, learning to bake all over again takes a little time and I'm sure you will have some bad experiences but low carb baking is so much easier now then it use to be. I've been baking low carb for about 7 yrs and there were a lot of hit and miss recipes in that time but now I can pretty much look at a recipe and know if I will like it or not and can tweak it to my liking or try different ingredients to get different results.

It does get easier but we can all feel your pain. Just remember to ask questions even if you think they're not worth asking. This is called the recipe help and suggestion forum lol
Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaaaaaa View Post
I can totally sympathize with you, as I'm sure all the other low carb bakers can. It really is like you're learning to bake all over again. The more you bake the better you will get.

I hope so! I miss baking and it being fun to do.

The bake mixes aren't like bisquik mix, they are meant to be used as flour substitutes although Jennifer Eloff does have a specific bake mix that can be used in place of bisquik.

Thanks, that helps. This is another point I am confused on. Say I use a baking mix of someone's. When I am looking at a recipe from someone else, how do I know which ingredients to eliminate so I can add the bake mix? Anything that looks like fiber? Is there any way to tell if something is critical and needs to be left in despite the addition of bake mix?

The Chicken Lady has an amazing Carrot Cake and an Almond Fudge Cake.

She is where I got my fudge cake recipe from!

Soobee made a great suggestion, if you have something that you would like to bake low carb, like a cake, cookie or some other dessert in mind you can always ask for suggestions or recipes that are known to be good.

At the moment, I have fresh blueberries and am searching for blueberry muffin recipes.

I like low carb recipes that taste much like the high carb recipes.

I agree with you, and I am willing to put in extra steps to get those results.

It does get easier but we can all feel your pain. Just remember to ask questions even if you think they're not worth asking. This is called the recipe help and suggestion forum lol

Thanks. The people on this forum have been so great, and such a help! It's nice to know there is light at the end of the tunnel! I really do not have the choice of turning back (unless, of course, I would like to go back to sleeping 14 hours a day and dragging myself around like a zombie the rest of them), this is a permanent WOE. I need to find a way to make this work for me.

Last edited by Catzmom; 10-13-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Old 10-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Sorry the formatting came out so weird on that last post.

Are oat flour and oat fiber 2 different things?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catzmom View Post
Sorry the formatting came out so weird on that last post.

Are oat flour and oat fiber 2 different things?
They're two different things and each one acts differently in a recipe. Oat flour has a lot more carbs whereas oat fiber is mostly fiber and needs more liquids.

If you go to Jennifer Eloff's blog, you can google her name, she explains how her bake mixes work in different recipes. That helps a lot when using it in someone else's recipe. The other bake mixes I usually will use what's called for in the recipe unless I know a good substitute because usually the ingredients and amounts work together just right. At least until you get a feel for baking this way. There are some ingredients that can be substituted but if you're unsure you can ask for help with a recipe.

I have no choice either, this is how I need to eat, and since I love to bake and eat sweets I had to learn lol

Last edited by Ginaaaaaa; 10-13-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Old 10-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Catzmom, I totally agree with you! I use to have all those ingredients in my pantry. Then one day I asked myself what the heck was I doing! So I tossed them all. I have found, from looking at the paleo cookbooks that it's gotten a lot simpler. Almond flour, coconut flour, maybe some flax and protein powder. That seems more reasonable to me.

Have you checked out Buttoni's recipes for bread and such? Check out the cookbook Reinhart & Wallace put out. I made some strawberry coconut muffins this summer that were amazing. So far everything I've made from that book is great! Also you could look at the new low carbing among friends. There are two editions of that and I think netrition has them. I think.

You could also check out Maria Emmerich's site. She has a lot of recipes for bread, cakes, muffins and a lot more using a simpler ingredient list. But, I have to say, using what she does, does seem to matter...

Happy baking!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cselzler
WOE: moderate carbs
I am cooking for myself and my diabetic son. He is very picky and doesn't like the items that are not close enough to the high carb versions. That being said, I use many of the specialty ingredients so I can come as close to high carb as possible. I use Kevins bake mix to make low carb bread because it is closest to "normal" bread. I use many of the bakemixes from Jen and the fantastic flour mix too. I have accumulated many of the ingredients to make these mixes and for use in recipes. Start with one thing you want to make and get what you need for that recipe. If you like it you can always keep getting it. If not maybe there is another recipe that uses those ingredients to use them up. I too don't have problems with gluten so Kevin's bake mix works for most of my things. I do like the fantastic flour mix because of the low low low carb counts for those weeks when I need to get back on track a little. I have found that I really need these ingredients to keep me and my son, sticking to this WOE. When I count the cost of medicines and doctors that this WOE helps me avoid, I feel much better about the cost of the ingredients.
cselzler is offline   Reply With Quote