Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/128/115 5'2
How do you make pork tenderloin?

I have a pork tenderloin, but I'm not sure how I want to cook it. What's your favorite low carb recipe?
Acor is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LolaGetz
Stats: 135.5/128.5/128 5'9"
WOE: Lower carb/ More fat
Start Date: Sept. 2013
Pork Tenderloin

I used to coat it with Dijon mustard & black pepper and roast it. Now, however, my husband makes a rub of various ground chili peppers and cooks/smokes it on the Weber charcoal grill using hickory or other wood chips for added flavor. I like his method best (and not just because he is doing all the work).

P.S. I meant to tell you I love the Edith Wharton quote. In fact, I copied it down.

Last edited by LolaGetz; 10-09-2013 at 04:31 AM.. Reason: Added P.S.
LolaGetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
I usually tie back the thin pointy ends to make the little roast more uniform, then season and brown it well in olive oil, then add some liquid to the pan and cover and cook til done to my liking.

But my fave way is to cut the meat into about 1.5" medallions, pound them out to about 1/4" thick - season with garlic salt, brown on both sides (do this in batches, if you overcrowd the pan it will steam in its own juices) and set aside on a plate - then add some white wine to the pan, stir up the browned bits and bring to a low boil - boil off most of the wine, then add a couple pats of butter to the pan, some lemon juice, and some capers - bring up to a sizzle, then add the meat back into the pan to heat through, including any accumulated juices from the plate that they sat on after browning. Serve with some of the pan juices poured over the pork. Pork Piccata!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: momov2boys
I like to marinate mine the day before in sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil; low-sodium soy sauce; crushed garlic & black pepper. Then I cook in crock-pot on low for 8-10 hours. I might even it with some sour cream!
momov2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rob71
This is how I have made them.

Stuffed - Get a whole tenderloin and slice (lengthwise) it to open it flat (spiral unwinding). Saute some spinach and mushrooms with fresh garlic and olive oil. Place the cooked spinach/mushrooms/garlic over the top of the sliced open pork, Add some cream cheese or provolone. Roll the pork loin keeping all the spinach/cheese inside and tie it off in a few spots. Apply a BBQ rub or some sort of spices (salt. pepper, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, etc). You could wrap the loin in bacon as well at this point. I cook them on my smoker but have done them in the oven too. Cook at 350 for 1-1.5 hours until the internal temperature of the loin reaches 140. Let sit for 5-10 minutes - slice and serve.

I have also done them with no stuffing - takes the same amount of time.
rob71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks guys! I just want to clarify that this is a pork tenderloin (the smaller, more tender cut), not the larger pork loin. They're usually a few pounds and cook in maybe 15 minutes after searing on all sides.

I will definitely try some of these flavors!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Pork tenderloin is so tasty in and of itself, I just cut it into 1/2" medallions/slices, sear them in butter or bacon grease and EAT IT AS FAST AS I CAN, with great sides of course.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Gadget Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acor View Post
Thanks guys! I just want to clarify that this is a pork tenderloin (the smaller, more tender cut), not the larger pork loin. They're usually a few pounds and cook in maybe 15 minutes after searing on all sides.

I will definitely try some of these flavors!
A lot of folks seem to confuse the tenderloin and the loin. The loin is what pork chops are cut from and a whole loin is a big hunk of meat! Sometimes I'll buy a whole boneless loin from Costco, cut off both ends, leave a nice middle piece for roasting, and cut the ends into chops about 1.5" thick. They're so good.

I always kind of cringe when people say they crockpot the tenderloin - that's like crockpotting a beef filet! But to each their own preference.

Folding the long pointy end back onto the thicker part of the tenderloin lets it cook nice and evenly and not get overcooked on the thinner part. I cook it so that there is still some light pink in the middle. Overcooked pork is not necessary these days and is why it gets so dang dry! It's a food crime to overcook a tenderloin!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ozcook
Pork on your fork

My preferred way is sous-vide. No chance of overcooking and I finish it off in a frypan for added color and flavor.
Ozcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Gadget Gal

I haven't tried that with the tenderloin yet, Ozcook, but it's a great idea! I love to sous vide things for the very reason you state - no overcooking that way and the results are always moist and tender.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks everyone so much for the suggestions! I've never tried sous-vide, have to look up some instructions.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
Gadget Gal

Here are some links to get you started if you want!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16320771
Old 10-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
Here are some links to get you started if you want!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...l#post16320771
You are an evil enabler.

Awesome links on there, thanks!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
Gadget Gal

Why yes - yes I am!

You're welcome!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
My favorite recipe for pork tenderloin is from the Atkins website. Very easy, and everyone in my family loves it, even those who claim not to like mustard. I always make at least a double recipe.

I don't buy fresh dill; I just use the dried dill in the jar.

Pork Tenderloin Medallions with Creamy Sauce

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 whole pork tenderloin (about 1 pound), sliced into six medallions
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
salt and white pepper

Heat butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides. Add pork medallions and cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove pork from skillet and cover to keep warm. Add garlic to skillet and saut until aroma is release, about 30 seconds. Add chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits. Simmer liquid 2 to 3 minutes to reduce slightly. Remove skillet from heat and whisk in sour cream, mustard and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.Return pork to skillet along with any juices that have accumulated. Cook pork over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, just to heat through. Transfer to a platter and serve immediately.
Makes: 2 servings
Per Serving: Net Carbs: 3.0 grams, Fiber: 0.5 grams, Protein: 50.5 grams, Fat: 27.0 grams, Calories: 465
Prep time 5 min, cook time 15 min.

Last edited by Emily-D; 10-10-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: dianafoot
Honey Glazed Pork Tenderloin

this is our all-time favorite way to make Pork Tenderloin. Since two usually come in a package, I make one on the day that I buy it and freeze the other one. This comes out tender and succulent with a lovely dark, sweet and savory crust.

*Melt 2-3 tablespoons of butter in a cast-iron frying pan
*add 2 tablespoons of the "honey" from the recipe below
*dry the tenderloin well and generously salt and pepper it on all sides
*roll the tenderloin around in the hot glaze for ten minutes or so until it is caramelized and fairly dark. Keep turning it and moving it around in the glaze so that the glaze does not burn.
*cover and let rest in a warm oven for 15 minutes. It will continue to cook slightly.
*slice thin on the diagonal and serve with veggies (Butternut squash and spinach are fabulous with this)

(Almost) Sugar Free Honey

This will make a lovely, syrupy sugar free honey that tastes really similar to real honey. Birgit Kerr inspired this recipe awhile back and I tweaked it slightly.

melt together and let bubble for a couple of minutes until golden and syrupy and thick:
1/2 cup erythritol
1/2 cup xylitol or Ideal
2 tsp real honey
2 tbsp. Sugar Free Imitation Honey (I get this at WalMart)
Cool slightly and decant into a canning jar and cover tightly. This will keep for a long time and I have found many uses for it!

Last edited by dianafoot; 10-12-2013 at 08:52 AM..
dianafoot is offline   Reply With Quote