Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: solarpluvia
Stats: 220/169/140 5'5" 37yo
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: 3 July 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaminKY View Post
I'm sorry but this not true at all. Erythritol has a lower melting point which is why cookies may spread more in the oven and why I use pans with indentions in them to keep them in the shape and size I want. The melting point of E is 121C where white sugar is 186C, Xylitiol is even lower. E does have a strong tendency to recrystallize when it cools which can make it appear that it didn't melt, the addtion of some type of gum such as guar, xanthum or glucomannan helps that issue but doesn't also resolve it.

It is also non-hygroscopic which means it does not attract water so it can have a tendency to make baked goods dry which is also helped by the use of a gum but if you're wanting a dry crunchy cookie you wouldn't want to add the gum. Xylitol will absorb water.
Whups, my bad. Funnily, in my experience, E is just not melty at all in recipes where I know sugar would have melted, like trying to melt it with butter on the stove. I generally don't use much of it anymore because of the gritty and cooling qualities. Yes, I've tried adding inulin, gluc, and xanthan gum. At this point I mainly use varying combinations of Just Like Sugar, tagatose, liquid sucralose, and, occasionally, tiny amounts of Truvia for the flavor additive.

From my chilly kitchen, I still doubt that E contributes to spreading as much as fat temperature and type combined with lack of gluten and overall humidity. Again, just my experience with the caveat that I can't seem to repeat anybody's results with anything lately.

But even in wheat and sugar baking results can be surprising, despite greater consistancy in ingredients. I tend to be amazed that in LC baking any two people can get the same results, what with the differences across brands and all!
solarpluvia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosethorns View Post
I'm allergic to flax. I use chia seed ground to a flour to replace the flax....I've used it in a few things and it works great.

Just a thought hope it helps.
Thanks! I've thought about trying chia, but between the possible anti-thyroid connection and my fear that it will be just as painful as the flax...

And I haven't wanted to eat anything specific that badly, yet. I'm lucky that I don't have many foods that I need to avoid for allergies or GI issues. Reading about your number of food allergies has made me appreciate that.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpluvia View Post
Thanks! I've thought about trying chia, but between the possible anti-thyroid connection and my fear that it will be just as painful as the flax...

And I haven't wanted to eat anything specific that badly, yet. I'm lucky that I don't have many foods that I need to avoid for allergies or GI issues. Reading about your number of food allergies has made me appreciate that.
WHAT?? Chia has anti-thyroid effects too?

Soy and now chia..... What is a low carber to do?

Off to Bing some things. (Google has been bad, so I must now Bing things)
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BrandtMeo
Stats: 210/166/150
WOE: Atkins, low carb
Start Date: April 2013
Looks very good, thank you for sharing the recipe
BrandtMeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjlocarb View Post
WHAT?? Chia has anti-thyroid effects too?

Soy and now chia..... What is a low carber to do?

Off to Bing some things. (Google has been bad, so I must now Bing things)
Damnit! This thread is making me have to go do some actual research about a few things I thought I had right. Apparantly chia seeds are considered good for thyroid function. I could swear that 6 months ago they were thyroid death.

I may have to give up on real food and just live on Quest Bars and instant coffee.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: judytab
WOE: general LC
I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I remember a thread about cookies some time back (I think it may have been a discussion about Kevin's pecan cookies) about using baking soda versus baking powder. The concensus on that thread was that baking soda produces a more crispy cookie and baking powder makes them more cakey. I always use the soda in cookies since I read that but can't be sure if it makes a difference.
judytab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ginaaaaaa
WOE: High Carb Low Fat
Start Date: April 2009
I have some crunchy cookies here! I rebaked the cookies on low(150)for a couple of hours and they got really crunchy. I can't decide if I like them better chewy or crunchy but either way they're yummy!

Judy, great idea for using baking soda, I remember someone on here had posted about it and I had saved the info but forgot all about it. I can't remember who it was that posted it either.
Ginaaaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: drjlocarb
Stats: 274 /219/190
WOE: vlc/NK
Start Date: LC-1999,jan2010 274 NK 1-1-13 at 244
It was Kevins pecan lace cookies.
drjlocarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
I want to try these cookies. I read on line that to get chewy they added an extra egg yolk. I really don't know but may be worth a try.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tweaker Geek
Gina - I finally made these and they are great! I made according to your original post but used 1/2 cup xylitol and 1/4 tsp. stevia. I formed the dough into a log, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for an hour; then I sliced and rolled into balls, dipped the bottom of a measuring glass (just dampened with a little water) into a bit of Steele's brown sugar and pressed down to gingersnap size. After they cooled they were crispy on the edges but chewy in the middle, very similar to my favorite high carb gingersnap. You have a winner here, my friend!

I may try some of the other baking times mentioned but I'm pretty darn happy with these the way they are.

Oh, I meant to ask, how many cookies did you get? I got 26 from this batch.

I keep telling myself that nothing tastes as good as getting to my goal will feel! -- Unfortunately, I don't always listen to myself!!
Tweaker Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker Geek View Post
Gina - I finally made these and they are great! I made according to your original post but used 1/2 cup xylitol and 1/4 tsp. stevia. I formed the dough into a log, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for an hour; then I sliced and rolled into balls, dipped the bottom of a measuring glass (just dampened with a little water) into a bit of Steele's brown sugar and pressed down to gingersnap size. After they cooled they were crispy on the edges but chewy in the middle, very similar to my favorite high carb gingersnap. You have a winner here, my friend!

I may try some of the other baking times mentioned but I'm pretty darn happy with these the way they are.

Oh, I meant to ask, how many cookies did you get? I got 26 from this batch.
I'm so glad you liked them TG!!

I am going to use your method of making them next time too, it sounds much easier!

I used xylitol and Splenda but I'm going to try them with the stevia instead. I really liked the crispy outside and chewy center and think next time I will make them that way instead of trying to get a crunchy cookie.

I believe I got about the same amount as you did. I remember I filled a cookie sheet with 20 cookies and then I had about 3-6 more cookies on a smaller cookie pan.

My cousin loved these cookies and said she really liked the crispy and chewy texture. I'll be making more soon for a family get together.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
Oh, girls...Printing that nommie recipe out..Will let you know..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had a couple of these last night for a midnight snack and want to report that the flavor was really intensified after sitting for a couple days. Delish!

I'm thinking of making another batch, trying to get them crispy, and using for a gingersnap crust for pumpkin pie. Yum, I can almost taste it already!
Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
These are great..I left them in the oven (off) for maybe almost two hours..They are snappy, for sure..I only have 2 left..LOL..
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Carolyn - how long did you bake them before turning the oven off?
Old 12-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bumping this up in reference to the thread I started asking Gina about using this recipe for gingerbread men. I haven't tried anything yet but I really want to. I haven't made the cookies in a while, but I seem to remember that the dough was kind of sticky. In rereading this thread I'm thinking I may try something similar to the cookies I made, i.e., refrigerate the dough. I'm thinking if I get it good and cold then roll out between pieces of parchment paper, cut into gingerbread men then either move them to a parchment lined cookie sheet with an offset spatula or remove the extra dough around the cutouts and bake right on the same piece of parchment they were rolled out on. Either of these ideas make sense to anyone?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Tweaker, sorry I missed your question for me. I haven't been around here at all. I think these could be used as rolled out gingerbread men. I think you have the right ideas on how to do it too!! The dough should firm up enough to roll it out once it's been refridgerated.

I would try it but I have been super busy, I'm making homemade christmas gifts this year for all the girls. Body butter, sugar scrubs, bath salts, lip balm...etc. first time trying this so hopefully they go over well. Lol

I hope you report back with your results if you try it and let us know how they come out.

Happy holidays!
Old 12-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did make this as gingerbread men, pretty much followed procedure I mentioned in above post. I pressed the dough into a round flat disk so that it chilled faster. After chilling I rolled into a rectangle between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick then cut out gingerbread men, transferred to parchment lined cookie sheet and baked at 225 for 70 minutes. They were golden brown and "softish" to the touch, but not too soft. They firmed up more crispy as they cooled. The first pan was really good, but unfortunately, I overcooked the second and third cookie sheets, I was trying to do too many things at once. I will keep them and I'll eat the burned ones; it's my punishment.

I'm going to try again in a couple days.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad the first batch came out good for you Tweaker. Sorry the other batches burned it sounds like something I would do. I try to only do one thing at a time because I always ruin something if I try to multitask in the kitchen while baking.