Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Recipes and Menus > Low Carb Recipe Help & Suggestions
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Roadside Chicken Recipe

We had this for dinner last night – it was the best chicken I’ve had in a long time! Next time, I’ll use chicken leg quarters and reduce the cooking time, because my family really prefers dark meat only. If you search for “Bayless Roadside Chicken”, you’ll come up with a bunch of sites with this recipe and pictures – the chicken was beautiful as well as tasty, too. I served the chicken with grilled yellow squash and a spicy Caesar salad.

Rick Bayless’ Grilled Roadside Whole Chicken

For the marinade:
1-1/2 tablespoons ground Ancho chile powder
1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Mexican
A big pinch of ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon, preferably Mexican
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
3 tablespoons vinegar (apple cider vinegar gives a Mexican flavor)
1/4 cup orange juice (I didn’t have any – used ˝ lemon, ˝ lime, and 1 Tbsp. blood orange olive oil)
1 tsp salt

1 large (3 lb) chicken (sometimes called a large frying chicken, or a small roasting chicken)
About 1 cup roasted Tomatillo Salsa, for serving (I didn’t use)

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together all the marinade ingredients.

Remove the giblets (if there are any) from the cavity of the chicken. Flip the chicken onto its breast. Using poultry shears, cut down both sides of the backbone from tail to neck; discard backbone. Open the bird out onto your work surface, breast side up. Make sure that the legs are turned inward. Using your fist or a mallet, wallop the bird on the breast, hard enough to dislodge the center bones and flatten out the breast. Twist the last joint of the wings up over the breast and then down behind the "shoulders," tucking them in firmly to keep them in place during grilling. Smear both sides of the chicken with the marinade; place in a ziplock bag and refrigerate one hour.

Heat one side of a gas grill to medium. If you have a grill with three burners, heat the outer two to medium, leaving the center one off. Or light a charcoal fire and let it burn until the charcoal is covered with white ash and about medium-hot; bank half the coals to one side of the grill, half to the other. Lay the chicken cut side down in the center of the grill (it will not be over direct heat). Cook, without turning, basting from every 8-10 minutes with any remaining marinade, until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced deeply with a fork (an instant-read thermometer should register about 160 degrees when inserted at the thickest part of the thigh), about 45 minutes. If you're cooking over charcoal, you'll want to add more charcoal to the fire after an hour or so - the internal temperature of the grill should stay at about 325 degrees. Remove the chicken to a cutting board, cover it loosely with foil and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut the chicken into quarters (or smaller pieces). Transfer a portion to each of four dinner plates and you're ready to serve. Pass the salsa separately.
KCSoccer is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Barbo
Stats: 225/155/136
WOE: Low Carb Diabetic Plan
Start Date: August 2005
Thanks KC

Nice marinade and I'm with you I think all chicken thighs for us.
Easier than a whole chicken.
Barbo is offline   Reply With Quote